Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Coil spring questions?? Any wizards out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr57, Jul 3, 2017.

1. My 51 Lincoln has been subframed and sits too low. Before you jump on me about it being done improperly - it's not. Everything is level, fishplated and inspected. It's just too low. The car has a 73-4 Nova clip in it now with new Moog 5370 springs in it and it is still too low for our crappy roads. There isn't a replacement spring available that would give me 1 12 - 2" more clearance, so I am looking at custom coils from CSS. I had springs specced out at +2.00" trim height & +20% rate increase & +500# added weight. This was to stiffen it up a bit and compensate for the weight difference between the Nova and the Lincoln. Is this reasonable? Will this work?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Go with your best guess. I am no expert and had to replace my springs 3 times but at least you have a starting point.

3. squirrel

squirrel

might be too much, but I guess you'll find out.

5272 is a bit taller, isn't it? similar rate to what you have, though.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you already have the nova clip why not throw a set of QA-1 coil overs in it? They are adjustable for height, compression and rebound. They will make the Lincoln ride nice and you can dial in the ride height with a pair of spanners to your liking in seconds .

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at Superior Automotive Ride Effex Spacer - coil spring rubber donut, extra thick

19ChevyFleetline50 likes this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Specialty products make aluminum spacers that go under the spring into the lower spring pocket. You can buy them in 1/4" up sizes in 1/4" thickness steps. When you use these they double in lift. As in a 1/2" thick spacer will raise 1" at the fender well. So if you want 1-1/2" use a 3/4" thick spacer. They don't change ride quality at all.

You can buy them thru O'Reilly part stores. If you can find a shop that actually installs these you can install them without taking the springs out, only need to remove the shocks and do both sides in about 40 to 45 minutes. Just takes some special tools.

We keep them on the self at work. Put in 100`s. They work great and cheap....