Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car Bucking At Low Speeds - What's The Deal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boondoggle, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Solution = sidestep clutch while mashing the skinny pedal to the floor.
    Dig the Winged Wonder too

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did you expect when building it.....moms station wagon with an automatic and 2.47 gears?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LSA too narrow. Crossram reversion at low RPM.

Don't drive slowly.

bobss396 and Montana1 like this.
  4. Sounds like what I call low RPM cam surge. You will notice that on a stick car with anything above 270 advertised duration. It comes from intake reversion with excess overlap at low RPM.

Plus, the cross ram manifold is too open for street manners.

I don't recognize those particular cam specs., but it sounds like it is for 2500-6000 RPM range or so. They sound good, but aren't very friendly and don't have good street manners. Definitely not a parade cam!

Like others have said, stand on it and side step the clutch! :eek::D

5. Boondoggle

Boondoggle

Like I said in the OP, he bought it like this

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'll bet it's more than just the combination of parts, I'll bet it's the state of tune, and that if he spends an afternoon adjusting the timing and the idle mixture screws he'll get it dialed in and it will smooth out.

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

you really need to learn to drive the car that cam/intake setup is not going to hold steady at anything under 1500-1800 rpm , you're lucky you have a clutch , you'll learn that in slow traffic that you'll use it alot . you can spend all your time & money and it might be a little better , you'll be ahead of the game just learnig what the engine/car wants...BTDT

slowmotion likes this.
  8. Change the cam.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Boondoggle

Boondoggle

Montana1 likes this.
  10. I used to have a Comp dyno program on my old computer and I searched and found that the X-treme Energy (flat tappet) cams make more torque and power than Thumpers and are much more streetable for the RPM range we live in.

I never was impressed with Thumpers. :D

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Work on your advance curve spend some time on the carbs. It is never going to be a soccer mom type ride. Drop the hammer at 5 grand spin the tires, grab another gear repeat as needed until she smooths out.

12. What's the rear gear? I went from a 3.56 to a 3.89 in my car and it was a lot better at slower speeds around town. I agree that the Thumpr cams are not known for their street manners. The Comp Cams XE series may be a good change.

Montana1 likes this.