Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New Jersey Timing Association - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank Carey, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

The New Jersey Timing Association

The explosive growth of hot rodding that spread throughout the country in the post-WWII years did not bypass the diminutive state of New Jersey. Although only 200 miles from High Point in the north to Cape May in the south, more than 30 hot rod clubs had sprung up throughout the state by 1952. There were clubs in urban areas such as Paterson and Newark, in suburban towns like Chatham and Paulsboro, and in rural areas like Sussex. (Yes, New Jersey does have rural areas!) These clubs came together in 1952 to address a common goal: Get drag racing started in New Jersey. The New Jersey Timing Association (NJTA) was founded and incorporated that year and began holding meetings in the basement of Coby's Restaurant on route 9 in the South Amboy area.

The NJTA was an association of clubs, not of individuals. Club members of these hot rod clubs joined the NJTA individually as non-voting members and each club elected two voting representatives to Timing Association meetings.

The first NJTA event was a free hot rod "jamboree" held in Johnson Park, New Brunswick, in 1953. It was announced in the March, 1953, issue of Hot Rod Magazine.

Later that year there was a "Lime Bag Run". I'm not even sure what that is but 29 NJTA members participated. And in the fall the NJTA produced yet another show, Garden State Autorama, held at Julian's Garage on route 9 in South Amboy.

Johnson Park Jamboree Pictures

JP-01 Tom Collow Stelton, NJ
    JP-02 unknown
    JP-03 "Pop" Lamb and son Oceanport, NJ regulars on the show circuit thru the 1950s
    JP-04 unknown
    JP-05 appears to be same car as JP-01
    JP-06 Walt McKeon South Amboy, NJ
    JP-07 unknown
    JK-08 unknown Horizontal break in photo is a scanning error
    JP-09 unknown

Julian's Garage Pictures

JG-01 Walt McKeon South Amboy Note the framed picture of a coupe in the display. This car had headers that collected into a large pipe that ran across the doors. The pipe was cut so the center section which was mounted to the door would open with the door. I saw this car several times in the mid-1950s but have been unable to locate a good picture of it.
    JG-02 Ed Wing Westfield,NJ
    JG-03 Joe DeVito Long Branch, NJ
    JG-04 Walt Carr Montclair, NJ Walt and his partner, Charlie Klingler, we well known as a source for Ford body parts. Some time in the early 1950s they had scoured the Ford dealers throughout northern NJ and amassed an amazing inventory of NOS parts - fenders, grilles, etc. I was buying parts from them as late as 1960.
    JG-05 Norm Collins Chatham, NJ A Member of the well-known Squires Club
    JG-06 Rusty Gardner New Brunswick, NJ By the late 1950s Rusty had installed a hemi in this coupe.
    JG-07 Andy Kassa Passaic, NJ This car was very well known on the show circuit and for many years was fitted with four carburetors with European T-shaped air cleaners. Some time after the 1950s it underwent extensive modifications that included a non-symmetrical nose, possibly by Barris. Many years after that change it was fully restored to it's original configuration as shown here but with the four carbs and T-shaped air cleaners. It continues to survive, is being very well cared for, and was exhibited at Pebble Beach several years ago.
    JG-08 Erwin Stein Passaic, NJ
    JG-09 unknown

for part-2 see: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-jersey-timing-association-part-2.1067258/

JP-01cap.jpg JP-02cap.jpg JP-03cap.jpg JP-04cap.jpg JP-05cap.jpg JP-06cap.jpg JP-07cap.jpg JP-08cap.jpg JP-09cap.jpg poster.jpg JG-01cap.jpg JG-02cap.jpg JG-03cap.jpg JG-04cap.jpg JG-05cap.jpg JG-06cap.jpg JG-07cap.jpg JG-08cap.jpg JG-09cap.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    WQ59B, Sixcarb, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  2. When I lived in N.J. I lived in Berkeley Heights.I had my 55 chevy and many tickets back then. LOL. Bruce.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

What does "btt" mean?

5. Zerk

Zerk

"btt" means "back to the top," since replying to a post, even with just a "wow" or "ok" puts the whole thread back onto the first page, where more people can find it easily. It's a nice little courtesy, a tip of the hat.

Yours is one of the best posts that I've seen in a while. Great to hear the names Pop Lamb and Andy Kassa anytime.