Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever chase 1 for years, then finally get it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by utahdodge, Jun 17, 2017.

1. I chased a Henry J for for more than 20 years and stopped by the guys home a few times a year,he was a long haul truck driver and was rarely home.

It was stored in a rough old house on his property and he had cut a door in the side to park the car inside.

[​IMG]

I gave him my phone number on a regular basis,on a whim he decided to sale and I was out of town but a friend of mine got wind of the cars availability and bought it.

when I got home he called me and told me he had bought the Henry J and ask me did I still want it,he sold it to me for exactly what he paid & even delivered it to me.

I kept it a few months but was in the middle of a build and decided to sell it to a Hamber that was interested in it.

I guess had I gotten it when I started trying to but it I would have done something with the car,today I wish I would have kept it. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great car with en even better story!

3. Squablow

Squablow

If it does have an outboard water pump, you really need to try to find a replacement mechanical pump, and personally I would have the radiator checked out by a radiator shop and boiled out/repaired, recored if necessary. Won't be real cheap but it only takes a couple of overheat cycles to ruin that engine and then you'll be really sorry.

I'd also be tempted to mount the rear fenders onto that box instead of those wooden outriggers. My guess is they were saved for that very reason. Neat car, neat story.

4. Nobey

Nobey

There you go, Bruce has the answer, I never even thought about the T guys, they do this all the time. And I bet Bob
    knows were to get a water pump for you....

5. choptop4

choptop4

Not a car ,but a BSA my cousin had. It was a ww2 bike, everything there. He said he would sell it to me many times. now going on 35 years of trying to get this thing. Went to his house for his mom's 85 birthday party. Asked about the bike later in the day. Said he gave it to the neighbor.......

Hudson31 and 4oldfords like this.
  6. utahdodge

utahdodge

IMG_6598.jpg

As far as the pump goes, it should be on this shaft that drives the starter/generator and oil pump. When it broke decades ago, he took a hammer to it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You might want to check out the AACA forum,there might be someone on there that have that pump or know where to get one.

8. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

First saw this car in 1968. Bugged the guy every six months for 30 years and got it bought in 1998. Still an original paint car. 0221.jpg P1000982 (2).JPG

9. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Congratulations. All it needs is a trusty dog to ride on the back.

10. pumpman

pumpman

That truck/tub is the cat's ass, are those tractor tires on the front or just good old bald tires?

11. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG][​IMG]

Getting closer to a "parade-ready" ride. I bought a rusted out, seized water pump from a mid-20's Hudson a few years ago on the EBay. When it arrived I was pretty sure it wouldn't work. Big hammers, penetrating oil, drills, grinders, hack saws, and heat have us closer than we were. The mounting holes and the impeller half moon key don't line up correctly, but some hose or possibly brazing(?) might fix that. I mocked the old rear fender up and I do like the way it looks... the parade is Saturday the 22nd of July. Will we make it? Would you run the fenders or leave it as its been for decades? What about a clear lacquer over the bed wood?. Yes the front tires are tractor units. I need to find at least one more wood-spoke unit or maybe some period wires?

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG]

Also made it to our local car show this weekend. It has a small swap meet were I met a couple selling stuff out of a garage that his grandfather had closed decades ago. I found these all original and pristine manuals for the 1916 Hudson super six. One is for the gas system, one for the original battery, and the other is the reference book which was like the owners manual. Pretty good finds for $15.

13. Budget36

Budget36

Front or rear wheels?
    Reason I ask, is I have a set of 4 off a 27/28 (think it was) DB, an older gentlemen who lived across the street from me said his dad used to "have the car"...and went on to tell me they'd used Hudson wheels during the war to keep the DB running.

Anyway, I dunno...I only bought them for the spin on grease caps. I ID'ed the wheels looking at the "Standard Catalog of Trucks" in the library, gave bearing sizes, spindle diameter for the front and taper and bore size for the rear.
    If you do some measurements, I'll drag mine out and do the same.

14. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Yes ,I found this in 1965 in Murfreesboro , Tn. img029.jpg when I was in college. O f course I didn't have 2 cents to my name , but I wanted that 3 window. I would go by and see it and talk to Mr. Earp every time I went to the Boro. Finally in 1983 Mrs. Earp called me aside and offered to sell me the car. So sad , Mr Earp had dementsia. I made an offer and she took me up. The next weekend I went and trailered it home. The hydraulic 40 brakes were up and I drained the gas tank and poured some gas in the carb and it ran like a clock. It had a 49 - 53 flattie and I drove it for several years like that until I sold it !!

kidcampbell71 and exterminator like this.
  15. WOW!!! Very cool! I'd mount the fenders.If you are going to drive it much, spring for fixing the old radiator and get the right pump for it! It's almost priceless I think, don't go cheap and blow the motor! Leave the tractor tires for the parade, keep 'em, but what are your plans for driving it? is that the original upholstery?THAT is something you need to protect.
    TOO DAMN COOL! I'd give my eye teeth for it!
    HAVE FUN MAN!!!

16. Squablow

Squablow

I definitely would use the fenders, id also consider mounting that upper box side board vertically, basically making the box sides taller but using whats already there. No harm in that.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

I really like the rear fenders on, other than that it's really cool, you're lucky and persistent a little of both is usually what it takes. Stories like this one are the best.

18. 28rp

28rp

Here , s Mine-I have known about this car for fifty years-I am fifty eight-it was passed to me by the son of the original owner who bought it new at the local agricultural show,( county fair) in Dec 48-last on the road in 74.Yeah, I know its only a fordor-that,s all we got here-no Coupes or Tudors The car has only travelled 54000 miles. Not sure where I am gonna go with this car yet-only owned it since Mid May- but when a car like this is offered to you for free , you take it whether you need it or not!

Attached Files:

• 456.JPG
      456.JPG
      File size:
      168.2 KB
      Views:
    • 472.JPG
      472.JPG
      File size:
      266.1 KB
      Views:
    koolkemp likes this.
  19. 28rp

28rp

More-I was told of this car by my Dad-(RIP)- when I was about eight years after I quizzed him on his 47 Merc he owned when I was a toddler-his car was the same colour as this one and when I asked about his Merc-he said he didn't know where it went after he sold it,but that he knew of a similar car locally . Long story short-when I asked about that car a few times over the years if the car was available , the answer was the same-No, never , gonna restore it some day , then like a bolt from the blue , May last-if you want the car you can have it , just do something good with it! The first two photos are of the car in its resting place in the barn from 1974 until 2017-She started up and ran fine after all those years-doesn,t even drop oil on the floor in my shop!

Attached Files:

• 446.JPG
      446.JPG
      File size:
      228.5 KB
      Views:
    • 462.JPG
      462.JPG
      File size:
      174.8 KB
      Views:
    • 469.JPG
      469.JPG
      File size:
      202.3 KB
      Views:
    koolkemp and prez like this.
  20. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Love your Hudson. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

21. RDE

RDE

That Hudson Super 6 is fantastic, short of a water pump and radiator, don't change a thing.

22. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG][​IMG]

Slightly modified water pump and 1920's dodge radiator and shell are installed. Next week we'll see how it works. Would you change the oil? It looks fairly clear, but I have no idea how long it's been in there. Ideas for a water temperature gauge? Motometer?

[​IMG]

My neighbor loved to modify stuff and make stuff work. It appears that the rubber bump stops in the leaf springs aged and broke, so he used these leather straps and buckles to hold them down. I love this thing.

23. i would definitely change the oil. the crap/water will be at the bottom.

24. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Great find. Just go and drive the wheel off it

25. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Change the oil, check out all your mechanicals, wipe off the dust and drive as is!

That's a cool Hudson that will have people talking at any car show or cruise-in you attend. The storage drawer with old tools, the trunk and patina are really interesting conversation pieces.

26. sololobo

sololobo

wow, that thing is so cool. As is for me!

27. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG][​IMG]

I had a chance to wash her off this week. For some reason I didn't take an "after" pic, but here are a couple of fun shots. The contents of the door pockets. The bottles are Alka Seltzer and Rexall Skeeter Skoot mosquito repellant. The bottle openers (church keys?) are for Fisher Beer. Second pic shows the back seat which has been chillin' in the rafters of the barn for decades. The upholstery is some kind of a bonded leather. It has survived pretty well.

ct1932ford and kidcampbell71 like this.