Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old car stuff/good junkyards in Asheville, NC area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzbum, Jun 23, 2017.

1. jazzbum

jazzbum

Going to be in the Asheville area for a bit and I'm looking for good junkyards that might have old stuff (just got my hands on a nice 36 pickup body, putting stuff together for that, need everything) or cool old car-related attractions in general. Will be in Asheville area but anything within a couple hours driving distance is fair game (as well as anything along the 40 into Nashville, as I'll be travelling through TN on my way back). What do you southeastern hot rodders do for parts and fun?

Sent from my LG-H631 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jazzbum,
    Are you in Asheville now? Brad54 puts on a great swapmeet at the Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA on Saturday, July 1- on average there are 300+ vendors and 1000+ spectators and runs from about 7am to 1pm. Right up the road is American Vintage Auto Parts that has a large selection of vintage parts from the Teens into the early 60's (and Kevin has good prices as well)! If you're here with family, the Tanger outlet mall is right off the same exit as the drag strip.

3. jazzbum

jazzbum

Man, that sounds awesome. I won't be out there until July 5th, unfortunately

Sent from my LG-H631 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You just need to come on a week early...the Mountain AACA has their annual swap meet / car show this year at the Ag center, across from the Asheville Airport on Jun 30-July 1. :).

5. jazzbum

jazzbum

6. If you're interested in vintage motorcycles, go to Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley, NC.
    exit 20, I-40.
    HEADS UP:: Found out today the hard way, I-40 is one lane at MM 21 both directions!! Serious backup and delay.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Demick's out towards Waynesville used to have some decent old tin, but the old man who ran the place was always really high (imo) he passed away a few years back and his son has taken over the yard. prices I've seen online have been more reasonable. not sure what's still floating around there, though.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. hotrodA been dealing with that traffic back up for about 2 months now. We live in Sevierville T.N. and go over to the next exit past Maggie Valley {exit 24}to meet and pick up our granddaughter every 2 weeks and deal with it every other weekend. You would think they would work at night. What a pain in the butt that is.We took a back way from Newport it was nice but took 2 hours that way. Bruce.

9. Falconsprint63.There is a guy that has a few old cars in Maggie Valley but they look kinds rough and he always closed when we go by there on weekends.Bruce.

10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

no the same guy, but I'm familiar with those as well. He used to have some old Indian Motorcycles too. Demick's is/was over towards in the Bethel area between Waynesville and Brevard. It was on the way back to town from the boy scout camp, I always stopped in a couple of times each summer when I was working up there just to poke around.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. jazzbum

jazzbum

Thanks fellas. Good to know 40 is slammed too. I have to go Nashville to Asheville and back. Maybe I'll have to try and scout a back way.

12. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I hear there's a guy in Rogersville, TN with a BUNCH of vintage Ford tin in his barn but I've never been there.

Lee

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  13. Yeah, but he's a hoarder and an old curmudgeon. Likely to shoot you with his flintlock.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Bruce Fischer and Grandadeo like this.
  14. jazzbum

jazzbum

Death by musketball would be a ridiculous way to go. Think I'll pass on that.

15. Yeah, Georgia isn't the only place you need to run when you hear banjos playin' ;)

[​IMG]

clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  16. Mack The Yankee.I live in East T.N. and there are still some places I wouldn't go.LOL.Bruce.

17. 5window

5window

18. Bruce,
    Years ago, a buddy and I flew to Chicago for a band conference in a little 4 seater- took off from right here in Winder (pronounced Wahnduh, Suh). WE climbed pretty rapidly, so I asked if there was a reason... the pilot told us that his plane had mistakenly been shot at a number of times by moonshiners thinking he was an ATF agent searching for stills. We kind of laughed about it, but he was dead serious.

19. jazzbum

jazzbum