Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1930/1931 Model A Cowl Identification

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by K.C. Clem, Jun 26, 2017.

1. K.C. Clem

K.C. Clem

I know this subject has come up multiple times but I haven't really found the answer.
    Does anyone know the best way to identify a Model A cowl to the body style it came from or can be used with? My understanding is that the Model A coupe and Four Door use the same cowl and windshield/header (I guess the A pillars are the same too?). I also understand that the Model A two door sedan and pickups use the same cowl and windshield/header.

If you were looking at a complete cowl assembly with the windshield, windshield header, and visor all in place, does anyone here know the easiest way to look at it and tell if it was from a coupe/four door or a sedan/pickup? I think I could tell from the header panel over the windshield but the visor covers that up.

Also, if I were to get a two door sedan or pickup cowl assembly for my coupe, does it matter all that much? The top is going to get chopped anyway so everything could be lined up during the chop. My project is far from a restoration so I don't mind something not being correct as long as it works and looks good.

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'30-'31 tudors and trucks were 1" taller than the '30-'31 coupe, sport coupe and cabriolet...
    but ONLY the outer skin is taller... same w/s frame, visor and garnish...
    the tudor/ truck w/s post is 4" tall from the top of the upper hinge to the top...
    the coupe group is only 3" tall from the top of the hinge to the top...
    but SKIN ONLY... hope it helps...
    . DSCN0662.JPG

3. that was a cool post sloppy jalopies....bump up

4. K.C. Clem

K.C. Clem

Thanks Smitty, so if I get myself a really clean cowl for my project and it happens to be for a 2-dr sedan or pickup instead of for a coupe, I should be able to modify it to work without too much trouble, right? Sounds like the only real difference is the header panel over the top of the windshield.

Great info, I appreciate the response. Thanks.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yup, a hacksaw will easily trim off the 1" sheet metal difference...
    wooden header and the panel behind the visor are different...