Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods drop axle wobble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32owner, Jun 25, 2017.

1. 32owner

32owner

over the winter i changed the front axle on my 32. it had a 4'' tube axle with 35 ford brakes i went to an early dropped heavy axle i-beam and used buick drums with 40 ford backing plates. took it for a ride today at 40 mph it went into a death wobble like i have never experience and i am 67. the axle angle is at 10%. going to start changing things back if i can't cure it. please help with any suggestions this thing drove like a dream before i changed it. 740-632-9628

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Fixing toe helped me big time. Running Buick drums on '40ish spindles.

3. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I would Check run-out on rim and tires after putting used Buick drums on car. If they are true, then check everything one more time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Sounds like positive caster

5. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Should be at 7 degrees, not 10.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tfeverfred likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Axle angle 7 degrees, check toe-in and make sure everything is tight.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Do your wheels have a lot of offset? That contributes to the shake.

8. 32owner

32owner

not much offset 4 1/2'' wheels

9. 32owner

32owner

going to try turning axle around see what angle is then the axle is an old heavy that has been dropped in a shop some 50 years ago.

10. 32owner

32owner

it is fine at low speed but starts at 40

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Sounds like to much caster?

12. bonesy

bonesy

If I hit event the slightest of road bumps or turns at 25-30mph I had an unbelievable bad death wabble that required an immediate stop, no matter where I was. Think crappy supermarket shopping cart wheel.

I change my caster (cut the chrome wish bones - ugh) from 12 degree to 6. Instant death cure.

RODIST likes this.
  13. Boon BA

Boon BA

I have almost the exact same set up but 7 deg caster. I get a death wobble too. I tried to adjust toe as well. No luck.

I have done a ton of research and trial and error on my problem too. Caster is a leading concern but alot of work for 3 - 4 degs in your case.

I have a bitch of a time adjusting the brakes. The driver side grabs first and "activates" the death wobble. Tightening up the steering box helps for a while. then it comes back. Then I adjust the brakes and start over.

I guess the point is to try to eliminate some other sources of "activation" before cutting and welding.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    32Rules likes this.
  14. Boon BA

Boon BA

15. jon flannery

jon flannery

Hi, I put a steering damper on my 32 roadster . fixed the problem

16. 32owner

32owner

got most of it out . spun my axle around now about 5 degrees, also radius-ed my brake shoes to match the drums they were way off and changed the toe in. still get a slight dw when the brakes are applied going to a go little more toe in and see if it helps. don't know if you radius ed you shoes i made a card board template from the inside of drums and sanded shoes to match, both sides were different.

oj likes this.
  17. 32owner

32owner

thanks for the help guys

manx4me likes this.
  18. 32owner

32owner

IMG_20170606_111500085_HDR (2).jpg any thoughts on which way to go with toe in a little wobble when breaking

19. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

I run mine a total of .125" in

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Can a lot of positive scrub radius exaggerate death wobble?

[​IMG]

X38 likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

32owner you do have a lot of offset, which does contribute to these issues. Look at Kaspar's diagram above and you will see how it's supposed to be set up. That kingpin should point to the center of the tire patch on the ground. Borrow some stock wheels from a friend and check it out.

Also, you said you turned your axle around and got a different caster reading? Original Ford I beam axles are not supposed to be bent different front to back. That may be part of your problem as well. They should be straight with all the caster controlled by the radius rods or wishbones.

22. alchemy

alchemy

One thing I've read about to arc your brakes shoes (but never tried it yet) is to stick some long strips of 80 grit sandpaper inside the drums and twist them back and forth while a friend lightly presses the brake pedal. You are sanding the shoes to perfectly match that drum.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We used to have machines to arc shoes, but they were outlawed in CA.! Progressive thinking trumped safety issues.
    Alchemy has suggested a great substitute here, as Raybestos and Bendix BOTH offer 'cam-ground' linings that have the stopping power of NIL on the road test succeeding a 'proper' brake job...
    my wife did a complete brake job on my '55 F100, said she might as well have dragged her foot to stop the damned thing... she pulled the drums and the contact pattern was way up in the middle! She corrected it by hand, a shoe at a time, on my 14" disc sander.
    She remarked that she would go broke on 'Flat Rate'...

The 'death wobble' on braking suggests drums are out of round. If you spun them up (and turned them) and they were chucked at the BEARING RACES, the possibility remains that your wheels when torqued qre 'distorting' your drums enough to produce some 'ovality' at the braking surfaces.
    Some Bear and John Bean machines had 'cones' and blanks that fitted to the inside casting of the drums, OUTSIDE the diameters of the races, bad news chucking them there, as the wheel hub rides on bearings which ride on the races. So we must chuck the centers of the races.
    Remove the drums with wheels on, mount an other spindle in the vise. Install the drum and wheel, and mount a pointer (or a dial indicator) inside the drum surface.
    You may be surprised at the runout...When found, remove the WHEEL ONLY, and spin the drum again.
    If 'concentric', examine wheel and drum surfaces, and/or install wheel clocked differently until concentric.
    I believe when driving the car and applying brakes lightly, I could ascertain which side it was, unless it was sooo slight I'd have to revert to the previous method. Years of this made it 'second nature'...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  24. 32owner

32owner

changed the toe in today much better. I am now 1/4'' in in the front seems to have helped. my axle is a 55 year old drop job and seemed to have a little lean which i originally put to the rear. after swapping it seems fine. brake shoes radius worked great but was a real pain with a sanding block. liked alchemy suggestion try that next time. any one going to Goodguys Columbus deuce will be there.

C69A likes this.
  25. That's scrub radius is far beyond reasonable. Looks like it's going to be about a foot below the road surface.

This video would explain why adjusting to a VERY excessive 1/4 toe in seems to help make things better.

26. I set mine a 1/4 " toe in and set the axle at 7 degrees. HRP

Poh likes this.
  27. locknut

locknut
    from louisiana

I had a 32 Ford PU. Never had any kind of wobble or shake in the front end. Decided to lower the air pressure in the tires to make it ride better. Took a road trip and had a SEVERE wobble. Re-inflated the front tires and the wobble was gone, never to return. Simple things are often overlooked.

28. 32owner

32owner

HRP that is about what mine is now seems to be fine but haven't had it over 50. what a day changed the oil got ready to try it again and saw something leaking on ground now the diaphragm in the fuel regulator took a shit what next DAM old cars fun you gotta laugh lol must have been from all the DW lol

29. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

ive just had al the same issues as yourself.i put my buick drums on a wheel balancer,guess what, the are out of true,infact egg shaped.r/tested no probs at all.dont now what I'm going to do know,apart from bin them.

30. Things to remember. In the 50s and 60s dragsters ran 15 + degrees of caster for control at speed, couldn't back up but no shimmy at speed. I run my axle at 9 degrees with 1/8th toe in. Now another thing that might be giving you a problem is King Pins. Did you put in new bushings??? Are the tie rods good? Steering box tight??