Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you had to choose a 6x2 setup or a 671 blower?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevil, Jun 22, 2017.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

I am building a 30 coupe and I am looking for some input. I know it's all personal preference but if you had the choice to go one way or the other (Mooneyham 671 or original edelbrock x1 with 6 holley 94's) what would you prefer?

2. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Go with the "cool factor" 6x2!

dana barlow and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6x2's ON a 6-71.

Tuck, belair, dana barlow and 9 others like this.
  4. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Knew that was coming!

belair and dana barlow like this.

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i was thinking the same thing.

6. oj

oj

Both! none of that either/or stuff.

dana barlow and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I am going with 6-71. But the company I work for gave me two of them off of the old Detroit engines they have.
    The whine just adds to the aura and is a lot more streetable.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. Depends on the style and era of the build

Just Gary likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

A 4-71 would be better on that 283 that I'd put in it.

10. There isn't room on my avatar (31 Model A) to mount a blower drive (front x-member) so I went with 6 Holley 94's, have never regretted that decision. My Buick is a smaller 322, 1954, so I only run 4 carbs, the centers are not functional though the linkage and fuel lines are mounted and look as though they are. I like the look and I can view the roadway well, recommended!
    nnna.jpg

belair, Dog_Patch, NHRANUT and 5 others like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just keep in mind that you will need to set the engine back, stretch the frame, recess the firewall, etc., to make enough room for the blower pulleys.

Vintage theme would be 2" pulleys, rather than the more common, late 3". That will make it easier to fit, too.

3" blower pulleys can be made 2", with a little lathe work, or an accurate band saw.

1927graham likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

or a multiple V belt drive. I run a 2" wide 1/2" pitch toothed belt on a 6-71, it works ok. Not much available from the aftermarket these days, although I did manage to find an idler pulley. I cut down 3" pulleys for the drive.

mad mikey and 30dodgeboy like this.
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

6x2's with frog mouths angled to each side....

WhiteDevil likes this.
  14. exterminator

exterminator

15. squirrel

squirrel

or if you go 6-71, you need one of these

blower97.jpg

16. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Hard to beat an edelbrock X1 with frogmouths....have dibs on a 58' 283 punched out to a 292. Also have some original cal custom 9 rib valve covers and Geardrive driveshaft lake headers "dipped" on the way as well...

17. flatoz

flatoz

One question that hasn't been asked, and I don't mean to be rude, but have you played with Holley 94's before? as 6 of them takes some time and care to set up to run right. Not saying it can't be done, but its no 4 barrel either. and you'll sink a few $$ into sorting out jets and power valves before you get it all right. Course it can be done, not saying it can't more you need to factor that into the equation too. I've got a 4/71 on a flathead, but I also have a Hemi 6x2 and 8x2 Weiand dragstar. They do look good:)

18. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

6X2 - This will be the hard and more challenging road to take, but well be more respected by those who know that set up well; and know if what is required to constantly tune them. Take the challenge in life, be different, your car will say "HOT ROD" to more people.... just my .02

WhiteDevil and scrap metal 48 like this.
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Either or. It's like trying to decide who you favourite child is! Whatever decision you make will be wrong.:mad::oops::eek:

belair likes this.
  20. 94's are not hard to set up, just jets and power valves, very simple carb. Don't forget to use the double thick gaskets to seal them up, the carbs will stay much cleaner, Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed sells them.

mad mikey likes this.
  21. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

mad mikey and WhiteDevil like this.
  22. I run a 6-71 on my Chevy. Lower firewall is set back about 3". Radiator only forward 5/8". I run a 2" 1/2" pitch drive. No room for a fan, so I run a second radiator in back with an electric fan. You can get 1/2" stuff from Mooneyham. You need a short snout on the blower, also from Mooneyham.

dana barlow, mad mikey and 1927graham like this.
  23. nailed31

nailed31

Are you looking to get rid of one?

"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant doesn't mean it can dance!"

24. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

yes - but 2bbl heads that have the same ports and valves as power pacs but 68cc chambers are not......likewise for thick headgaskets.....the real problem is finding inexpensive forged pistons of any type....

25. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Ask any real hot rodder......they will take the option with more power!

swade41 likes this.
  26. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Nope, one will sit on a shelf in my shop. Just because I want to look at it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I,ve always run blowers on my rods.My 34 was going to be my first without one.Even got a real nice 6 x 2 for it. But as you can see some habits are hard to break...

Attached Files:

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 4-71 that Jim suggested if you actually want to drive it any distance and it isn't going to be a pro fargrounds trailer queen. If it's just primarily going to be a show rig and a 30 mile run to a cross town car show is a looong drive then the 6x2 setup may have a big wow factor.
    I've got two friends who have driven blower equipped small blocks all over the western US for years without issues but I know no one who actually drives a 6x2 carb setup on any engine any real miles. Not saying it isn't done but examine the plans for how you are going to use the car and how many miles you intend to put on it.

29. That blower trumps the 6x2 as far as performance and the performance look, it makes a statement that you've reached beyound what your multi carb intake can deliver !

Kan Kustom likes this.
  30. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Do you enjoy driving the car, or do you enjoy synchronizing carburettors? The multicarb setup will probably keep you busy more than once. Way more.

sunbeam and mad mikey like this.