Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to H.A.M.B. – 1929 Model A Roadster ... Roadtrip MT to CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RisforRobots, Jun 21, 2017.

1. RisforRobots

RisforRobots

Been digging through the forums for a while, just joined up! Thanks for having me.

My father and I have been looking at going in on a roadster for a while and think we might have just found one!

I'm flying out to take a look at this 1929 Roadster, images and specs from seller below. Ideally, if its as buttoned up as he says it is I'd like to take my time to drive it back home to CA. This would be my first flathead and I'm wondering what you guys think. Both about the car and the prospects of actually driving it back. I have a local shop giving it a once over with me when I get there before I buy it. Curious about elevation changes and the carbs, I know there will be a power drop, but if I'm just passing through can it make through without damage? Elevation would start out at about 5500' and go up to around 9800' if I take it through Yosemite before dropping back down to sea level. Once we get it home, I'll have it tuned for So Cal cruising. I'm mechanically ok, rebuilt a few old Honda Motorcycles. Cars are more my fathers specialty but he will not be with me on the drive.

The route I'm thinking of taking is Yellowstone/Jackson Wyoming to SLC Utah to Reno to Yosemite to HWY 1 down to LA.

Excited to be a part of the forum and this community! Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys might share.

----- 1929 Ford Model A Roadster – Specs and Attached Photos from Seller -----\

Comes with 5 boxes of spare parts and photo albums documenting complete build

- All original Henry Ford '29 real roadster body, real '32 grill, '32 firewall and '32 louvered trunk deck lid
    - Dropped Gennie '32 axle with modified original '34 wishbone, '32 K-member, pedal assembly
    - '46 Ford spindles and juice brakes
    - '39 Ford three speed, torque tube, banjo rear-end with 3.78 gears
    - '46 59A Flathead V8 .060 over with original Edmunds Custom heads, Thickstun PM-7 intake, rebuilt dual Stromberg 97's and '36 Ford driveshaft chrome headers (baffled)
    - '36 Form generator converted to a 12v and Delco finned coil
    - Jerry Weatherman and Eddie Dye inspired vinyl tuck-and-roll interior and trunk by Westminster Auto Upholstery in Anaheim - Vintage bomber seat belts
    - Hand fabricated copper tranny and pedal covers by silversmith artisan Sam Kutz in Costa Mesa
    - Original '34 Steward Warner speedometer centered with temperature and oil pressure gauges - Stewart Warner tachometer and updated sender
    - UNiQ Cycle Sounds Pioneer 300 watt speaker pods hidden under dash, mini amplifier and mounted Kicker Hideaway 150 watt sub in the trunk for cruising.

This Roadster Drive very well, no overheating, no smoke, goes 65mph all day and even faster if you want too ... Took it on a trip last winter on the Route 66, in Utah, in Las Vegas and in California, not a single issue with it, great reliable roadster you can drive anywhere. Car has around 2000 since rebuilt

- s-l500-1.jpg s-l500-2.jpg s-l500-3.jpg s-l500-4.jpg s-l500-5.jpg s-l500-6.jpg s-l500-7.jpg s-l500-8.jpg s-l500-9.jpg s-l500-10.jpg s-l500-11.jpg s-l500-12.jpg s-l500-13.jpg s-l500-14.jpg s-l500-15.jpg s-l500-16.jpg s-l500-17.jpg

2. Let me just say, he shoots!, he scores!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. VonWegener

VonWegener

Hwy 1 is closed at Big Sur due to a massive (!!) landslide. For the next few years you will not be able to drive from Carmel to Morrow Bay.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. RisforRobots

RisforRobots

OH THAT'S RIGHT! ok, so adjust that to either Yosemite to HWY 1 just below Morro bay or some other scenic route down to LA. Trying to avoid that Vegas run in July heat.

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Looks like a nice roadster.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Sounds likes it has a test ride under its belt. Cool car, and it would be a memorable trip. Post the adventure and if anything happens you'll have plenty of people on the HAMB that can help out.
    Fuel, Air, and Spark.....and sunscreen...and a little tool kit
    What type of ignition? If it's electronic or has an MSD hidden they can keep a rich motor running pretty well to avoid any altitude issues.
    The converted generator to alternator is a plus. Should help prevent any charging issues.
    Might want to get familiar with where the fuel pump and fuel filter in case you need to trouble shoot it or change it.
    Water pumps....They are probably new replacements with good seals, but might want to make sure.
    Make sure you insurance covers flatbed or roll back hauls (seems to be more common today anyway)
    Cool!

lothiandon1940 and RisforRobots like this.
  7. AB6DO

AB6DO

Keep in mind that Tioga Road thru Yosemite is still closed due to all the snow. The announcement said probably open some time in July. As for highway 1, take hiway 41 south out of Fresno, easy hook up with highway 1 in Cambria which is South of the big slide near Big Sir.

lothiandon1940 and RisforRobots like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Road Trip! Please, post as you can on your adventures on the trip!

mgtstumpy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Beautiful Roadster..........Enjoy.

lothianwilly71 and mgtstumpy like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That is a good looking car, enjoy the trip and we like photos or it didn't happen.;)

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. studebaker46

studebaker46

like any car you never know, but dare I say a car that well designed is more than likely good to go. Besides think of the experience you will have. don't forget to document the trip here on the h.a.m.b. Tom

RisforRobots and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looks like a nice car, I hope you end up with it!
    The info says it has a '32 firewall and '32 decklid. They both appear to be Model A pieces. I'd question the seller on those items... not that it really matters, since the photos do the talking.

RisforRobots likes this.
  13. rjones35

rjones35

Nice! I say go for it and take plenty of pics!

14. As an alternative to Hwy 1 consider taking Hwy 25 south out of Holister. It is not as scenic but less windy than Hwy 1. You can easily work your way over to Hwy 101 and go south to Paso Robles. Take the Hearst Castle exit and catch Hwy 1 south of Cambria which is well away from the land slide. If you do take Hwy 25 look for the creek where the land owner laid in old car as an erosion control method.

RisforRobots likes this.
  15. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. For that long of a trip and not knowing how the exhaust sounds you might consider ear plugs for just in case.
    Jimmie

Atwater Mike and RisforRobots like this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hot as hell in Cali right now, hope it cools off for ya

17. deucemac

deucemac

Crossing the great basin in Nevada and anywhere east of the coastal mountains in California are experiencing a very dangerous heat wave currently. I live at 5000 feet and even we are 101 today. Any place between Bakersfield and Sacramento is reading between 105 and 110. I have a topless roadster and strongly recommend that you wear long pants and long sleeves plus a wide brimmed hat that ties at the neck. Two roadster rules need to be remembered. First, Never look up when wearing a hat! Second, Never look over your shoulder while wearing glasses. If the flathead was built correctly and you keep speeds reasonable, the motor should be fine. Lots and lots of flathead powered cars traveled cross country in the era when they were every day drivers. The car looks beautiful and if it gets a clean bill of health, enjoy the trip! I drove mine 400 miles round trip to the L A Roadsters meet in 105 to 108 temps without incident except for the bright red burns my son got on his knees because he told me " don't worry dad, Bermuda shorts will be fine. It's too hot for long pants!". He wasn't born to us, we found him in a box wrapped in a blanket on our doorstep when we answered a knock at the door many years ago. Enjoy and keep us posted on the trip.

RisforRobots, Atwater Mike and czuch like this.
  18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Hire a film crew. That would be epic.
    Water, for you and the radiator.
    Lots of water.
    The wind will dry you out before the sun, but you'll be doubly screwed.
    Don't rush, just to savor and make it last.
    BTW, if you cant get it in the motel room, chain that bad boy up.

RisforRobots and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. toml24

toml24

Be sure to try to get the car to the "Donut Derelicts Car Show" in Huntington Beach, CA. every Saturday morning from 5:30AM to 8:30AM, corner of Adams and Magnolia. This is the best FREE car show on the West coast. Over 200 vintage cars and trucks. No rules. Just come and park and walk the show or sit in a lounge chair.

RisforRobots likes this.
  20. Looks to be a nice ride & like Malcom it sure looks to be an A firewall & deck lid to me, but that's no big deal breaker. Have fun and take your time. Trip photos would be nice...

21. VonWegener

VonWegener

I all forgot about Highway 25. Hollister is such a cool town. The airport has many vintage WWII aircraft and many vintage jets as residents and the city is of course where outlaw motorcycling was born in 1948 as seen in the movie "The Wild One" with Marlon Brando. Wino Willie of the Boozefighters MC famously crashed the gate of the fairgrounds with his Harley JD Bobber when his ilk wasn't allowed to participate.
    Highway 25 south of Hollister is old California and so fitting for a roadster. You will not regret going that route.

RisforRobots likes this.
  22. Great looking roadster, hope to see lots of pics from the trip on here.

23. First- nice car, and I'm sure it will be an adventurous trip , one you'll never forget!
    But for the drive back....... DO NOT do 25 through Hollister. All you will do is go through town, like 5 mins worth, and end up slowly putting along for miles=(MILES) until you come out on HYW 5. How much time do you want to spend getting home? Save that for a weekend cruise...... Look it up to verify!
    Once your in the bay area- you can take 5 ,99, or hit the 101 south. Smooth sailing from there...... Being that I'm from HERE, and lived in Hollister for years, I can help navigate you. Plenty of history, and looky lou spots, but getting you home first should be the priority, unless you want to wander with a new untested( to you) car, in the boondocks......

RisforRobots likes this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

Beautiful roadster

RisforRobots likes this.
  25. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I built that car in about 2010. Glad to see it's still on the road.

czuch, brady1929 and RisforRobots like this.
  26. flatford39

flatford39

I would go for it but I would have a decent tool bag along side with maybe a few extra parts. Belts, a water pump and ignition parts. Points, plugs and a few condensers.

That's a really nice looking car. The only thing I see that is off is that the steering wheel sits to high. It needs to be lowered.

Good Luck on your trip.

RisforRobots likes this.
  27. RisforRobots

RisforRobots

You did?? Hah thats amazing! I would love to talk to you about it if you're up for it!

czuch likes this.