Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA Dual Carb Set-Up (non prgressive)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100% Matt, Jun 13, 2017.

1. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Let's talk dual carb set ups for a sec. This was the set up on my 40 when I got it. It requires a return spring that runs past the plug wire holder (not pictured) I'm not real fond of this set up and can't seem to find a happy medium with the return spring. Im looking to see what some of you guys are using for your dual carb non progressive flathead set ups

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. clem

clem

Not really sure what you are asking. .?
    Do you want advice on where to put your return spring?
    If so, Not showing what you had, leaves it up to the imagination a little.

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I'd like to get rid of a return spring all together if possible. I'll post another pic with the return spring attached.

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

5. I think some of the resistance might be from the spring eye in contact with the pivot point of the linkage, that equals drag and resistance . Might be smoother action with a different mounting spot. maybe a shorter softer spring to the front carb flange

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Am running my setup the exact same way. Even using the same style of return spring.
    The spring loaded linkage arm and the return spring are always fighting one another.
    I have used this setup for years and Have never really been happy either. I even changed over to an aftermarket setup. That worked worse.
    I too am curious if anyone found a good solution.
    Having the throttle shafts extend beyond the other side of the carburetors and attaching a return on the left side would be tits.

7. I always recommend to put a spring on each carb. Make a small bracket to hold the spring and mount it on a carb stud.
    ^^your spring has too much static tension and it is binding the pivot.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I did find the swinging the pivot ball down and changing the return spring to a position that maintains the ball in this position works the best..

9. 100% Matt

100% Matt

"I always recommend to put a spring on each carb. Make a small bracket to hold the spring and mount it on a carb stud.
    ^^your spring has too much static tension and it is binding the pivot."

Do you have any pix of this set-up?

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Happen to have any pictures of this setup Rick?

11. 100% Matt

100% Matt

12. clem

clem

Any help?

Attached Files:

13. Do it right and put longer throttle shafts in ,then use a proper bearinged ends to connect the two...
    Check your Speedway catalog,they have al necessary shafts,ball brg ends,etc.
    Those spring loaded links that you are using is the main problem for easy operating linage

100% Matt likes this.
  14. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I spoke to Charlie at Vintage Speed and believe this is the root I plan on going

"CARB LINKAGE-2X2-2X1-BALL END Ball End Linkage and Carb Arms Vintage Speed Dual carb Ball end linkage with carb arms. Stainless rod and sleeve. This linkage fits all the flathead regular intakes with 4 1/2" to 5" center to center carb spacing. Fit all the Holley 94 and Stromberg 97 throttle shafts. Comes show polished" yb.jpg .

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Matt, is this designed to fit on an extended throttle shaft on the left side of the carbs?

16. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Yes, it's going to require some reconfiguring on my car. Of that I'm not 100% sure what yet. I sent Charlie an email at Vintage Speed with pix to get a better informed idea. I spoke with him on the phone earlier

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thx. My truck has a style similar to that with extended shafts on three Stromberg 97's.
    It allows you to run a return spring the opposite direction and the setup works perfectly.
    Now with the other setup with 94's , I too would have to disassemble my carbs to extend the shaft.
    Not until they need rebuilt. :)
    They run too well.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You've got screw adjusted ball couplers at each end of the connecting shaft...I believe that these are not spring loaded like Ford ones. You have the normal Ford spring loaded ends on the rod connecting Ford throttle pedal linkage to connecting shaft. The spring loaded ones add some friction, but overall that part is as stock and should work fine as on a stock Ford with the spring that is part of crosshaft at firewall. Is that spring still functional? At other end of crosshaft unless this is truck with spoon pedal there is another joint and rod to the rubber gas pedal. Check out internal friction there (oil!) and be sure the rod isn't rubbing on the rug or floorboard.
    Next, disconnect bits one at a time ad feel out the fiction at each joint. Remove link to cross shaft and see how existing spring feels just moving the carbs. Check out friction at each carb...same or different? Back off the end screw plugs in each end of the connecting rod and see if they are better with a little slop. You may have just one source of excess friction.

alanp561 and 100% Matt like this.