Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thread Repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jun 10, 2017.

1. I've been aware of these, but never saw any for sale anywhere. After looking up the price, I see why; over three times the cost of Helicoils....

2. How much does it cost in time to remove one fucked up Heli Coil. Time Serts never, ever fail.

mike_mech likes this.
  3. cb186

cb186

I have nothing against Time-Serts as I haven't tried them yet, but I've installed many helicoils and had little issue with them.

4. One thing to remember about the Heli-coil brand; they can't be sealed like the solid inserts can, so don't use them where you are going to drill into a water jacket or some such.
    The dissimilar metals issue is nonexistent with a heli-coil, (I've drilled, tapped and installed hundreds in new aircraft parts, which wouldn't happen if there was a dissimilar metal issue) they are stainless that is meant to be used with aluminum. Another good thing about them is they won't back out of the hole with the bolt, they bite into the female thread, so the only way to remove them is to drill them out.

5. The OP is installing it in an engine block, it will never need to be removed, and if you have ever had a keensert rusted on a bolt so you couldn't back the bolt out of the hole, you would understand why they are a poor second choice!

6. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Agreed... TIME -SERTS are the best of all .! The others are good and will work but the Time-Serts RULE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mike_mech likes this.