Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cheatin' The Reaper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendlives, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendlives

Legendlives

More flange......
    The turbo exhaust flanges started out as a sheet of 10mm (3/8") steel plate which had holes strategically drilled in it:
    These were then cut out and shaped:
    The internal bore was tapered to match the outlet size exactly:
    And then 'V' band clamp fittings welded on the outside:
    I also seam welded around the inside. Just because!
    I know there are those on here who disapprove of my choice of power plant and power adders, but I am doing exactly what real rodders have done since day 1 - making mis-matched parts work together without spending shed-loads of money. To date I have hundreds of hours, but less than $4000NZ total invested in the project.
    Also, engine aside, racers have been using turbos for decades so although they are perceived as a 'modern' power adder they have merely become more popular in recent years.

fauj likes this.
  2. Legendlives

Legendlives

Back on the rollcage, I've at last managed to fix the upper seat belt/harness mount plate in place.
    It's made from 5mm steel plate, suitably drilled and chamfered, and with captive threads for the 4 mounts. Each side is fully seam welded to the underside of the tube where it's important and the span between is stitch-welded.
    Left hand:
    And right-hand:
    Each side has these triangular gussets underneath which are fully perimeter welded:
    The rollcage now looks like this:
    As there are so many joints on the cage I've been red-oxide painting each one as it's fully welded.

3. Legendlives

Legendlives

Just had a brilliant weekend. Just me, the car, and my welder.
    I've now finish-welded all of the rollcage joints, and all of the main chassis joints (including all of the lower seatbelt/harness mounts, seat crossmembers, shifter crossmember, transmission rear mount, handbrake mount and a few others!)
    I even managed to make and fit this crossmember at the rear of the chassis ladder which will have the rear radius rod mounts welded to it:
    You can't quite see in the photo's, but this tube is curved down in the centre to miss the drive-shaft.

Next project(s) are the body mounts. These are already designed and will be made this week, then (hopefully) fitted next weekend.

4. Outstanding job my friend.
    Hopefully you won't ever need to test any of that safety stuff or weld integrity.
    I'd run that engine that shouldn't be mentioned here too! And boost the hell out of it.

I need to get in at the top of the page or I can't :)

Legendlives likes this.
  5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s a crazy amount of engineering you put into that frame and cage.... just beautiful!

6. Legendlives

Legendlives

Manifold part one:
    It has always been my intention to run a carb on the engine, either N/A or (as it will be now) Blow-through, so it's about time I sorted a manifold out.
    Starting with the original injection manifold (which looked like this once the plenum box was unbolted),

I gave it to a friend of mine who has a mill, and after a few days he returned with this:

Which I then proceeded to hack more lumps off:

A visit to another friend with an industrial guillotine and bender produced this panel:

Which I then got excited about and decided to fit curved ends to. These were cut from alloy tube and seam welded in and out:

To mount the carb I found this spacer cheap, which I then cut about a bit:

As it happens I cut it about even more before welding it on, but here it is rested in place on the smoothed plenum:

After welding on the carb plate I thought I'd better trial fit it before getting all weldy with it.

Still a way to go, but I'm quite happy with it so far.
    Stay tuned for part 2!

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry man... This one is getting way too modern for the HAMB. Cool car though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.