Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thread Repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So this is a thread on thread repair. Anyway, I have an old off topic engine that is aluminum and some threads have been ripped out. There is enough material to drill and re-thread bu tI was hoping to repair and use the original bolt. Has anyone tried this with JB Weld or those low temp aluminum weld rods you can use with a propane torch? I s would be applicable to more on topic repairs. Thanks.

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Buggered the title and don't know how to fix it. I guess I do need an additional thread on thread title repair.

Hudson31 likes this.
  3. GMAN55

GMAN55

Ever tried easy outs. They insert into the original dammaged hole once it has been drilled out. You can then screw in your original bolts

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

drill and re-thread yes
    JB Weld no
    Low temp welding rods dunno but you should be using threaed inserts if you want to go back to the same size

shawnsauto1 likes this.

5. The best way are Heli-Coil inserts ,tap hole with special over size tap and screw in insert . Better than new .

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've read that there is an insert that is better than Heli-Coils. Anyone know the name?

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Highlighting @good captian's info I am in aviation and heli coils are routinely installed in aluminum esspecially due to the fact it can strip easily and or with time. So @Fortunateson keep the JB in the glovebox for other special repairs.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Heli- Coils, yes. I used them on many things, most recently (two years ago) on a Cadillac water pump where it bolts into the block. Still working perfectly today.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is another type of treaded insert called Threadserts or Rivnuts. I think I found what you may be thinking and that would be 'Time Serts'
    Preparation for these would be right sized drill and right sized Tap...oh and never cut corners also use proper installation tooling.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  10. GTS225

GTS225

*************************************************************************************

'S'cuse me? Where did you get your info concerning "Easy-outs"?
    Easy-outs are a hardened steel device that helps to remove broken bolts from a threaded hole. Drill a right-sized hole in the broken end of the bolt, tap in the easy-out and turn lefty-loosey. They don't always work, but it might save the day just as easily.

Roger

54vicky and Stogy like this.
  11. There are ones known as Keenserts which I've used with great success. They are like a Helicoil only with a bigger external thread. They have drive tangs that get driven down to lock them in. For a 2-part repair, I use Twin Serts. Great in aluminum with really buggered up holes. You are probably okay with a regular Helicoil.

loudbang and leadsled like this.
  12. This option is only available to you if you started the thread.

Go to your initial post in the thread. Click Thread Tools to open menu. Then click "EDIT TITLE", make the necessary changes and save. BAM! You're done!

[​IMG]

Time-Serts are recommended for at least certain GM thread repairs so they must have something going for them. :D

quicksilverart46, bct and Stogy like this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Heli-coils are great. I must have installed a thousand of them. But they do require a special tap that only works for installing Heli-coils. The kits don't cost that much.Keyserts use standard taps and tool you already have. But they need a larger hole to be drilled to start with. Do you have room? Easy outs as mentioned are something else and have no reason for mention here. JB Weld and aluminum solder are right behind easy outs for this purpose. Rivenuts are another separate item. Not applicable in your case.

loudbang, Stogy and 54vicky like this.
  14. Helicoils work for most of these apps, and the keenserts are great for slightly more complicated apps. I buy all the helicoil sets I see at swap meets, and after a while have accumulated most of the sizes I need for my shop. Most sets come with the correct drill, tap, and inserts, generally in a plastic pouch to keep them together.

loudbang likes this.
  15. bct

bct

some heli coils can be prepped with a standard tap. and a grinder can turn an old bolt into an insert tool in about two minutes.

16. cb186

cb186

What standard taps can fill in for helicoil taps?

17. bct

bct

been years but I can check my kits.

18. bct

bct

Fine threads that share a tpi with the next size up. I remember winding the heli coil on the bolt and then measuring the threads. Worked for me

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

LOL..

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd believe that using a standard tap for a helicoil even for certain sizes comes under the catagory of almost can get by with it. Proper Helicoil taps aren't very spendy and are usually easy to find. Over the years I have bought single size sets as I needed them but do have several sizes for spark plug threads that I pickedbol up years ago.
    I read an article or two on the Keenserts a few years ago but never had occasion to try them. I've never seen them in the places I go around here be it the tool store or the bolt stores.

27Tudor likes this.
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Except for 32 inch sizes, like 10/32 8/32 and some others. The thread pitch just doesn't work. 1/4-28 to 5/16-24. That's not happening. 5/16 to 3/8-24 looks like it might work. Same thread pitch. Same with 7/16-20 and 1/2-20. I never did it. I don't believe you get proper thread depth. I'm going to go and measure one now.

bct likes this.
  23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Heli-Coils used to come in sets with the drill, tap, installation tool and a number of inserts. A company called Recoil started selling kits without the drill bit and a proper installation tool. Their tool allowed the insert to be turned into the tapered part of the thread. The taps were lower quality as well. The result was the kits were cheaper than the Hel-Coil kits. Heli-Coil started selling kits without the drill bit to match prices.

Most smaller holes can be done with a standard drill bit. Use a 3/8 bit in a 3/8 hole then use the provided tap and installation tool.

loudbang likes this.
  24. cb186

cb186

Those were the few I was thinking might work, but unless I break my helicoil tap off and am in desperate need, no way I'd try a standard tap without doing a test on a different piece first.

Stogy likes this.
  25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I was just looking at Heli-coils. It looks like you could use a 1/2-20 tap to install a 7/16-20 Heli-Coil. Maybe some others also. I haven't tried it. But for now i will say, Could be.

bct likes this.
  26. bct

bct

I do live in a dream world. Awesome wife. Two incredibe kids . Satisfying job. Huge shop filled with hot rods and tools.

27. bct

bct

On external threads I've had some luck with these

7402_2682_0.jpg

Tough to use on keyed threads or ones with holes for cotter pins but it can be done. Thread files are handy too but actually remove material

28. Heli-coils are a brand like Crescent is a adjustable wrench. I myself prefer Keenserts. They make them in different material. Buy the insert intended for use in aluminum. Otherwise you end up with a dissimilar materials issue.

loudbang, Stogy and flatford39 like this.
  29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Keenserts require a larger hole then Helicoils which can be a problem in some cases where holes are close to an edge.

I haven't had a problem with Heli-Coils in aluminum. It's really what they were designed for. Usually it's a steel bolt in the aluminum without an insert which is a problem if no thread lubricant is used.

loudbang and Stogy like this.