Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Street cars only drag strip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56sedandelivery, Jun 5, 2017.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A few years back, someone built a drag strip that only permitted street cars to race. I don't remember who it was, where it was, it's "name",or even know if it's still in operation. It seemed they wanted to become a "regular" drag strip, but there was "opposition". Anyone know anything about what I'm talking about? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

was it one of those projects to keep kids from street racing? I cant answer the question from down here but this sort of thing comes up from time to time.

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 56SD,
    Many years ago, some street racers went to Terminal Island between Long Beach and San Pedro to the old Navy Base. There was no one around for miles to complain, except for some Navy guys, dock workers and fish.
    They set us a 1/4 mile strip, and had a big following. Eventually, something happened and they, too had to close down. Big Willie and the street racers... Not all street racers or drag racers participated, but they did have a public following. It was even ok'd by the local police.

Jnaki
    So Cal happenings from the way back machine. This may or may not be what you are looking for, but it is one of the only stories about street racers on their own drag strip...(unless of course it is made and paid for by the Discovery Channel.)

mad mikey likes this.
  4. Might have been a good idea a few years ago, but now that you have Street Outlaws on TV, it would probably become a high buck gambling event and the real street only guys would be soon forced out.

jnaki likes this.

5. JNAKI, The same thing came to my mind when I saw the question. Big Willie and the brotherhood of LA Street Racers.

jnaki likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I want to say this was somewhere in the midwest or south. It was an actual drag strip, but only allowed street cars. When they wanted to take it towards a full fledged drag strip operation, they were met with community resistance. It'll come to me, but it's been a couple of days now; thought maybe someone might remember.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. an1951

an1951

hotrodman303 and mad mikey like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bsrintl/ A guy wearing the vest with the "colors" on the back here in CT last Thursday at a cruise night...An old fellow walks up to him and asks if Street-Racers-International- was like the Street Outlaws..The guy answers that he couldn't stand them 605 A--holes..Old fellow corrects him with 405 and walks away...I was glad I was too tired to be inquisitive...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

There is a drag strip in Caddo Mills Tx called RedLine and it is geared more towards cars people can drive to the strip but they do run some cars that aren't street legal.

10. jnaki

jnaki

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Thank you! It was Two Lane Blacktop Drag Strip. I knew there was something about the name, but I could't remember it. Too bad it/they are now closed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

13. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Yeah for a while at Pomona dragstrip we had a NHRA street legal drags but for some reason they canceled it the cars were not that loud for the neighbors to be complaining ..I'm not sure what happened to the event but it was fun while it lasted. That was in the late '90's

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

There's the flashlite drags in Waynesburg Pa area 1/8 mile. Rules DOT tires, current state registration, proof of insurance, valid drivers license, no passengers, seat belts, convertibles top up or helmet.

15. toml24

toml24

I believe today, the 1/8 mile drag strip at Irwindale Speedway, is a all, or mostly all street car drag strip. The events are sanctioned by the NHRA. Almost every Thursday and Friday night through the end of the year, from 5:00PM to 10:00PM there will be drag racing.

16. an1951

an1951

Hello Quicksilver, I was directly involved with the Pomona program. The Pomona Street Legal Drags was one of NHRA most successful program to control the illegal street racing problem that was going around in the Los Angeles areas in the 1990s. It was from 1994-2000 and funded from California OTS (State Office of Traffic and Safety ) for only 6 years, then the program was transfer to Fontana California Dragway in 2001. And to make Pomona Raceway more neat in the 1990s, they had 2 special events each year, The Super Chevy Show And The Goodguys Nostalgia Drags. You don't see that any more.

PSL-1.jpg PSL-1A.JPG PSL-2.JPG

PSL-3.JPG PSL-4.JPG PSL-5.JPG

PSL-6.jpg PSL-7.JPG PSL-8.JPG

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    mad mikey likes this.
  17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

^^^Man, those were good times!!!^^^

18. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Lots of difference between "Big Willie:" and "Big Chief".

sunbeam and Gman0046 like this.