Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod History and Photos Dallas Texas 1949 on -Caddo Mills Drag Races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KKrod, Apr 6, 2015.

1. [QUOTE="Mike Britton, post:
    And yes, you could drive all the way around White Rock. It was a hot rod show every weekend there.
    Graduated Bryan Adams in 66. Hey Bobby! How you been?[/QUOTE]

Hey Mike,A question for you,,,How did you cross over the dam so as to drive completely around the lake??You are incorrect about driving completely around the lake...Now I am worried about you..LOL
    Bobby

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Hey Mike,A question for you,,,How did you cross over the dam so as to drive completely around the lake??You are incorrect about driving completely around the lake...Now I am worried about you..LOL
    Bobby[/QUOTE]
    Well, actually by the mid 60's the "Cloisters" housing development was there and you could kind of snake through the neighborhood. There never was an uninterrupted road all the way around the lake.
    Sometimes we would use Mockingbird as well, and often come up on Northwest Hwy.

kidcampbell71 and rfraze like this.
  3. I used to drive down to the spillway and enter the park there. Drive around to Winfrey Point? and turn around to go back to Garland road and Charco's.
    My late wife lived in Lake Highlands so we spent a lot of time at the lake. Wrecked my 650 Triumph flat tracker out there trying to jump bar ditches, LOL.....

kidcampbell71 and rfraze like this.
  4. Does Anyone Know anything about a Father & Son racing Team. Their last Name was Millsap, same as My Last Name. I believe they were from Addison or Carrolton, Tx. They ran a 1948-1953 Ford Yellow Anglia, Not Sure if they ran back in the 1950's, but Definitely in the 60's, not sure of the 70's. Not sure what Drag Strips in the DFW Area or other parts of Texas? Millsap's Is a Very Unique Texas Family Name! We're all kin to one another. There Was a Issac Millsaps that Fought & Died in the Alamo, San Antonio, Tx. on March 6, 1836. My Family came to Texas in 1834, & to America in 1734. They were originally from England & went to Northern Ireland & Fought for William of Orange. They were mostly Farmers & Soldiers. There's a Variation of the Spelling, As to know which of the Original 4 sons to distinguish their perspective Families in n America. Since I'm into old Hot Rods, I'd like to know, who this Family is or was into Racing hot Rods. I know that this isn't Genealogy, but I'd appreciate any information. Best Regards Respectfully Dereald Millsap
    S.S. Tx. (903) 952-1933.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

kidcampbell71 and JOYFLEA like this.
  6. Elrod

Elrod

The Charlie Adams roadster has just surfaced. A buddy has just purchased this car and he reached out to me for more information.

Per a conversation with Charles K Adams back on October 9th, 1996, Captain Charles Adams of the US Air Force purchased this 1932 roadster in 1940-1943 at a used car lot in Burbank, CA and paid $100 for the car. Captain Adams then moved to Tuscon, AZ. He talked a man into letting him store the car behind a filling station and as he periodically went to visit this car, there was another 1932 Ford convertible (the Liqui-Molly Special, that became the Mitchell Automotive car) that a man had brought in and abandoned because he could not pay. Charlie asked the man at the filling station about it and the filling station man said Charlie could have this second 32 for $12.50 storage charges. (pictured below with Charlie in the uniform)

Captain Adams took the fenders off the $12.50 1932 Ford and put them on the Burbank car because they were a better set of fenders. Charlie then drove the car to Long Beach where he was stationed and bought a 1940 Ford coupe.

Charlie then moved to Denver and Leslie's Garage (kent and Leslie Odd Rod, Belly tank Bonneville car) let him work on this car behind their garage. During this period of time, Charlie put in the transmission from the 1940 Ford coupe making this roadster a column shift car and also the steering wheel and the brakes from the 1940 Ford. He then left the Air Force towing the car back to Dallas behind his 1941 Ford convertible and that was approximately 1943 or 1944.

He then sold the car around 1948 to Bob James. The car for a brief period of time belonged to a Jim McCamey, Homer Rader and then ended up belonging to Paul Adams. Paul Adams sold the car to George Elson in February of 1956 and George Elson sold this car to Mitchell Rasansky in 1996.

Mitchell sold the car to a man who was ill a few years ago who only held the car briefly and then purchased it back, and sold it to another collector about a year ago. The car just came up for sale again and a guy I know bought it. This is his new car below in color photos.

Yeah. I'm jealous also.

Charlie Adams.jpg image.jpg IMG_9984.JPG AdamsRoadster5.jpg IMG_9986.JPG IMG_9987.JPG IMG_9992.JPG IMG_9995.JPG IMG_9994.JPG IMG_9988.JPG

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  7. Elrod

Elrod

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that sure is the REAL THANG! Best car I've seen all day. Thanks for posting her.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Be still my heart.
    Wow. What a time capsule.
    I'd give both nuts for that baby.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Who has the car for sale?

11. Holy Deuce Roadster Batman! What a nice find! Yes I am jealous. Who is selling it?

12. Elrod

Elrod

We all missed the sale. The car sold 2 weeks ago to my buddy. He was digging up info and I knew about the car. So I posted the info here and photos of his new car.

Yeah..... I'm freakin' jealous also!

kidcampbell71 and jackandeuces like this.
  13. Good for him! What plans if any?

14. Elrod

Elrod

Gather up all the history he can, not touch the car at all, bring it to some big shows to let people see it, and I was asking him if he wanted to get some sand in it. He laughed and said, "Maybe soon!" So he's going to preserve it, but also enjoy it. :)

15. Bobby,
    Was Jim Carson the father of Bobby Carson in East Dallas? Bobby ran a roadster in the 60's at Green Valley named "Swamp Buggy II" I think.
    Chuck
    PS - Miss seeing you @ LSRU!

16. Chuck..Jimmy and Bobby were brothers....Their dad was C J Carson

17. Thanks Bobby. I remember CJ now. Resided in the back of Bobby's shop. Man, do you ever have a great memory!

18. Mr Elrod,
    Tell your friend that just purchased the car in your (Somenes)photos.that he might want to verify many statements made about it..Personally was there during that period of time and facts do not align...
    I call it bullshit...
    you may quote me if desired
    Bob Wolcott

19. yep...Bobby....wasn't this a car Richard got his hands on after the widow put it up for sale.....and funny I have MR 567 Texas plate for those years and a few more think until 1959 or 1960...

20. Elrod

Elrod

Hey Bobby. You won't hurt my feelings if you call bullshit. He got some registration documents and a letter documenting a supposed conversation between Mitchell and Charlie that is what I almost transcribed word for word above. I sent you a DM with additional pics of the registration info. If you have further clarity into the vehicles history, I know I would appreciate it. (I can't speak for the buyer! ☺️)

21. Elrod..I am sending you a pm with more details about said car I worked for Charlie during this timeframe
    Bobby Wolcott 84yo

22. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks Bobby. I know who you are and that you and Charlie worked together and ran together. He's not trying to fabricate a fake story or anything. He is just going off a letter he received with the car that documents a converstaion down to a day and a time, October 9th, 1996 at 4:00 pm in the afternoon.

He would love to have any additional information you can provide and would be happy to speak with you directly to be able to ask questions.

(I haven't received a PM yet, so I'll look for your phone number there and pass it on to him if you are ok with that.)

IMG_9989.JPG

23. Elrod

Elrod

Also Post #20 does seem to confirm that this was Charlie Adams' car.

24. Elrod.its that typed story dated Oct 1996 is all wrong....

25. Elrod

Elrod

I just spoke with Mitchell and Paul Adams on the phone. Mitchell said this was the story as told to him by Charlie Adams. There could be another story, but this was Charlie's information.

I spoke to Paul and he said he did buy the car from Homer Rader. Mitchell mentioned that Homer owned AAA Oil in Dallas and was a successful business man. Mitchell said that Homer had a wreck on Inwood road and Homer's dad wanted Homer to sell the car so Paul bought it.
    Paul said Homer was a rich kid who's father thought the car was too dangerous and wanted Homer to sell it, so Paul bought it. Paul said the car was not wrecked when he bought it. Paul said he drove this car through highcshool. The car had a 296 flathead in it, Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock carbs and headers that leaked like crazy. Pauls dad thought the motor was too much and told a man with a 40s Ford with a 274 flathead in it that if he would swap engines, he could have the bigger engine. The man did it, leaving this car with a 276 with cast iron heads, and 2 stromberg carbs.. Paul hung out at C and C automotive after school every day amd they tuned the car to run great. Pauls brother commented that the car seemed to run better than the old 296 flathead. Paul said he used to run up Hillcrest pretty often and would "air it out" on occasion out there in front of SMU. Paul said he scraped 20-20 coats of paint off the firewall and painted it red. Paul said the dash pinstriping and felix stickers and such came after he owned the car.

Paul sold the car to George Ellison, and George Ellison was the Chaparral who owned the car. title receipts with the car confirm "Robert Adams" selling the car to "George Ellison" in February of 1956, like the note above states. Paul said he kept the engine.

Mitchell said that when he bought the car from Ellison, it didn't have an engine in it. Mitchell had an engine built by a man in Waxahachie who is in a wheelchair. Mitchell also put the quickchange in the car.

Mitchell sold the car to Brian Bunkhorse (sp?) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, who had once been captain of the Marquette basketball team. This is probably where the cheaters sticker on the headlight came from. A few years later, Brian fell ill and Brian's wife asked if Mitchell wanted to buy the car back. Mitchell then sold the car to a man in Ft Worth. Mitchell had another opportunity to buy this car back but Mitchell passed since he didn't need two 32 roadsters. The current owner now has the car.

kidcampbell71, jackandeuces and bowie like this.
  26. KKrod

KKrod

Here's some info on Charlie Adams. He must have been a hell of a man.

IMG_7336.JPG IMG_7334 (1).JPG IMG_7338.JPG

kidcampbell71, Elrod and Finn Jensen like this.
  27. KKrod

KKrod

These cars keep surfacing. I knew that Mitchell Rasansky had Paul Adams old roadster in the late 90's and Paul and I went to look at it. Congratulations to the new owner whom I talked to today. The pictures of the car at Charlie's shop and the picture at the rally must be the same car. The bumpers, headlights, door handles, top, side curtain match.

It looks great in the "now" photos. Amazing to be in such a nice condition. Looking forward to seeing it. It sounds like the new owner is really proud of its history as a Dallas Car.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  28. KKrod

KKrod

Jimmy B - You found anything new related to Texas hot rods or customs? Karl

29. KKrod

KKrod

Can't say how stoked I am that this car is going to be in the public again.

30. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I bought this column drop from Mitchell Rasansky at the Pate Swap Meet a couple years back. It came from the Adams roadster, and it will be re-united with the car, since it's the right thing to do.

The spider painted on it obviously matches the rest of the dash in the car, and Mitchell told me he removed it from the Adams roadster (probably when he put the '40 wheel on it.)

Attached Files: