Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Junji sent me this scan of Ivo front page. Check that price!

Ivo Drag News.png

jnaki, Mark Hinds and loudbang like this.
  2. Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  3. Scott Mize

Scott Mize

E871785E-71E4-4B2D-BF71-4C4A0A74155D.jpg My dads c/g ANGLIA which has been setting since mid 70s in garage. 1972 NHRA spec with no modifications except fuel lines so we can start and drive around. 260 cu in hemi with hilborn fuel injection Rotofaze distributor Sun tach Muncie 4 speed. Will be taking to bowling green Holley hot rod and meltdown drags and good guys this year. If you want to hear stories about the old days stop by and talk to my dad at one of the events as he drove many front engine cars in the 60s with the last being the Mize Brothers and Cox dragster which is now the Cox and Amos dragster which has been restored.

4. loudbang

loudbang

1.jpg

4 Wide racing at New York National Drag Strip

4 wide racing at New York National Drag Strip.JPG

1962 indoors racing at Chicago

19062 indoors at Chicago.JPG

Bill Ereck(?) Dodge Tuscon AZ

EDIT: From Dean Lowe that is Red Greth in the Speed Sport roadster

Bill Ereck dodge Tuscon AZ.JPG

Capitol Raceway Park

Capitol Raceway Park.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    quick85, Gammz and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Hey Pat Found this one of your car at dover it was tiny but blew it up as big as I could.

Pat at dover.JPG

Bangkok Dean and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thanks LB I have that picture set as my screensaver

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  7. Come on, you gotta' know that's Red Greth in the Speed Sport roadster. This was on a trip west to LIONS.

[​IMG]

8. And this is Eddie Hill with the laughable flames.

[​IMG]

9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Those were the days! (When it took two blown Pontiacs to beat an injected Chevy. I might be wrong – this isn't at the finish.)
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

loudbang likes this.
  10. I think the fact that Eddie is already a half a car out on the Chevy right at the start says it all here.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

I thought it was but the push truck name threw me off LOL. :)

12. Tucson, Az should have been a clue. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

Dick Carr at Dover

Dick Carr at Dover.JPG

Fireball Shores at Dover

Fireball Shores at dover.JPG

Peterson's Automotive Service Fred Cattaseo

Fred Cattaseo  Peterson's Automotive Service BMP.JPG

Willys at Dover Early Jack Merkel?

EDIT: from 1934coupe. That is Ray Kobel behind the wheel of his steel 40 Willys coupe, it was 288" of SBC.

Gasser at dover.JPG

gassers at dover and willys.JPG

Chevy W engine power with HUGE slicks at Dover

Huge tires at dover W engine and road.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Pat:

Antone lived not far from my home back in those day's and he was a real character and also a very interesting person. Did Dino ever manage to get Antone to come to the Dover Reunion shows? Jim Hill

15. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    A while back in the Corvette Gasser thread here on the HAMB there was some discussion as to the fact that this may have previously been the Ernie Dutre car that won Street Elim at the Winternationals in approx 1965. Cattaneo also won at the Winters in the later 60's taking the B/MP class trophy.Visually the cars are near identical with Torquethrust and steel wheels, long shackles etc. although Dutre's version did have the corners of the lower pan radiused ahead of the front wheels so maybe Fred simply copied the stance of Ernie's car.

Roo

16. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

The car in the near lane is Dave Koffel's Flintstone Flyer Too. Built to replace the original Flyer (a Packard) it only raced for a single season (1964) as Dave made a Chrysler connection (through Herm Mozer) and after racing S/S and A/FX Mopars he went to work full time at Chrysler in 1968. Read more here: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1002-flintstone-flyers/

Roo

17. And THAT is what I come here for. To learn all I can about the history of the cars in the posted photos. Thanks for the lesson Roo.

bowie and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

19. loudbang

loudbang

Thanks added that info

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Pat:
    We are lucky to have guys like you still around who remember so much from your drag racing days and can help many of us remember who drove what car and when.
    Thanks Jim Hill

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

22. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Roger Lee's 1/25 scale model of the Winkel and Trapp AA/FD. The real car was restored by Bill Pitts and is the car that started the "cacklefest" movement. Read about the model here: http://wediditforlove.com/model-lee.html

[​IMG]
    An early shot of Gabby Bleeker's blown Olds powered Bantam, as identified here in mid 2015 by 296ardun

[​IMG]

This one is popular here on DCIM. Posted by Gary Reynolds in November of 2014 and then again by 296ardun in January of last year but still nobody has managed to identify it although the location appears to be Texas. George Klass has the second (pit shot) of the car on his dragster page but again there is no id.

Roo

1947knuck, Bowtie Coupe and 296ardun like this.
  23. 296ardun

296ardun

larrywalker.jpg
    Back in the really old days performance often counted more than did looks...This is Larry Walker's '35 coupe at Santa Ana, taped-on nose, spray-painted numbers, but its fuel flathead pulled it to some trophy wins.

routhenwaite3.jpg
    Bob Routhenwaite built this red and bronze coupe for the lakes, but like a lot of lakes racers, he tried it out on the drag strip, here at Paradise Mesa. Drag slicks were still in development, so Bob tried some dirt tracker tires. The coupe proved too heavy to be competitive, both with a GMC and a fuel flathead, so Bob dropped his GMC into a dragster frame, possibly one of the first tube frames?

thingie.jpg
    This is Routhenwaite's "Thingie" at Pomona, after a flathead replaced the GMC

Isky%20Clown%202.jpg
    Dick Guyette's "Isky Clown" at San Luis Obispo. This was a very early Kent Fuller chassis, built in 1960, with a traditional buggy spring front end, before Fuller went to torsion bars. Dick ran a stroked Olds with a Potvin blower setup, and ran in the mid-50s on gas.

ewellgold.jpg
    Jack Ewell at Santa Ana in the Ewell-Goldworthy fuel sedan. Notice that it retains a license plate and taillight, for flat-towing, as trailers were rare back in the early '50s. Jack would go on to run an Ardun-powered dragster, and later ran the "Chubasco" Fuller-chassis top fuel car.

sullivan44.jpg
    Missouri's Bob Sullivan in his Olds-powered rail. This is one of the NHRA "Safety Safari" meets, as the NHRA trailer is in the background. Wally Parks, Bud Coons, and other NHRA officials hauled this rig across the country to help drag strips be more professional, and encourage safety. Bob Sullivan would progress through a series of top fuel dragsters and a steel-bodied funny car.

JChrismanHRMoct1954800b.jpg
    Jack Chrisman's A sedan, with its Von Dutch-striped grille insert, probably still running a fuel flathead, though the car would ultimately get an injected Chrysler. The car has been found (minus the grille insert and the Von-Dutch-painted flying eyeball on the back), but restored to street condition.

photo-vi.jpg
    I have no i.d. on this Cad-powered dragster, pretty typical of mid-50's dragster technology.

newspaperclips004.jpg
    Another no i.d. picture

SH100689.JPG
    Two roadsters square off at Paradise Mesa, near San Diego. Drag racers realized that the road to better traction lay in getting more rubber to the ground, so before slicks were developed, some racers tried dual rear wheels. I don't know how well it worked, but am guessing that it took more power to turn two additional wheels.

shubert5.jpg
    ...and still they kept trying dual rear wheels...Zane Shubert in the Herbert-Shubert car, Pomona, early '60s.

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. loudbang

loudbang

A&B Speed & Bemie Regals at Sanford Maine

A&B Speed Ade & Bemie Regals at Sanford.jpg

1947knuck, quick85 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

AT Shelton Washington

At Shel;ton Wash And road.JPG

29. loudbang

loudbang

30. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's our roadster -- about 1961. Model A frame from my first car, cross-ram 97s, 39 trans., ran a lot better with a Duntov than the Harmon & Collins. Maybe they figured the flathead grind worked for everything(?). We took it to DMV without the engine and got it registered as a trailer so we could flat-tow it. Mackey-Kitchen Roadster.jpg