Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical delete

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pufff, May 30, 2017.

1. Pufff

Pufff

done

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I see a lot of those go for twice that out my way.

The big question is really is it a spool or does it have a locker in there?

Does he have any gear sets to go with it?

Pufff likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'll say this: Neither of my hot rods could use this rear without extensive mods, but if I could get my hands on that setup, I would buy it tomorrow. If you don't buy it, please send me contact info by pm asap.

grumpy32 and Pufff like this.
  4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The price is right if good on the inside. Would not work well in a street car without $$$.

Pufff likes this.

5. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

it looks pretty good,and if you need him Jamie Frankland still does some work on thise old rears.
    Hes at Frankland Welding,in Balm Fl.

Pufff likes this.
  6. Price a new one.... Then... Cut that price in half.....

You'll be pretty close to market price.

Pufff likes this.
  7. Don't know about the QC, but I want to see the 19 foot pickle fork!

8. Me too^^^^^.

Pufff likes this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my part of the world, we call that a Grand National rear end because of the bolt pattern, which is most likely 5 on 5 Chevvie. Chances are it has a spool, but there are many out there with differentials too. Lots of guys have put those under hot rods just the way it sits, but the best way is to open it up, check it out and install a differential if it doesn't already have one. (used diffs go for about $300 on ebay.) You can also go all the way and replace the axle tubes with passenger car Ford style axle tubes, axles and brakes, but it is not mandatory.

If he will let you open it up, you can remove some of the mystery, but if not, offer the guy 3 or 4 hundred. Take it home, open it up and go from there. Then, you have to find something cool to put it under.

Good luck, -Abone.

deadbeat and Pufff like this.
  10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

OK Zane just let me know. Thanks

Pufff likes this.
  11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just noticed the extra fill hole in the right side bell. You MIGHT be able to shine a flashlight in there and tell if it has a spool or diff. If so, the small end of the spool will be about the size of a beer can, a differential will be much bigger. Either way, you need to drag it home and pet it.

Good luck, -Abone.

Pufff likes this.
  12. gpohl6

gpohl6

Got a nice serviceable 4.86 ring and pinion for an old Frankland or Winters to sell if you end up needing one. Private message if interested. Once I get some pictures, I will list it in the classified section. It will be a little less than 1/2 of new price. I removed it to install a 4.12 R & P to couple with helical cut "small gears" for noise reduction for the street. Frankland Racing advertises rebuilds for $75 plus parts. Of course, the parts can add up quickly.

Pufff likes this.
  13. Got it now. I thought is was a typo and you were talking about a 19" pickle fork for removing ball joints etc.:rolleyes:

14. gee......and it's a disk brake set up.......should be loaded up by now.......we's got gears......spools can be set out on the curb.......just saying.......

Pufff likes this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was gonna say the change gears aren't a problem. I have a Frankland in my vintage dirt modified and have more gears than I need. Go to a circle rack swap meet sometime; they are everywhere, cheap. If you can't find what you want, Speedway has 'em for as little as $29.99 a set.

Pufff likes this.