Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Merc custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Yeah that was the War. You got more gas rations if your car was a truck.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  2. Torchie

Torchie

Not to hijack this thread but thanks for the comments about my former custom truck build koolkemp. I spent a lot of time working on getting the proportions right. (At least to my eye.)
    As was posted earlier by K13 I sold the truck back in August due to health and financial issues. It is currently on it's 4th owner since then and the current owner is the only one that has yet to contact me about it so maybe this one will keep it and finish it...LOL
    Now back to our regularly schedueled programming.
    p.s. The gold dash didn't do anything for me as my vision for it was an earlier look. My plan was for Washington Blue with a off white interior.
    Torchie

3. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1123.JPG IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1119.JPG Finish with the lift tmrw. Then put it on the body table I made. I did put a top and bolts and 2x4's along the bottom of the table.
    And I added a picture of last weeks 3rd load of logs. Didnt catch the first.
    Will pick up some 1/8"x1" boxed tubing that a guy has for sale. $250 for 45 pieces of 8' long. Good deal right? I think so. That will brace the car so i can cut.

4. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Ready.
    Wondering if anyone can date the rear crossmember work. Should i keep it? :)
    And what's a better way to do the front r engine rubber mount so it wont be cut in half?
    Guess it wont matter if i swap engines. IMG_1125.JPG IMG_1126.JPG IMG_1127.JPG IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1132.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Cant date the rear crossmember, but I can tell you that is definitely not a 41 Merc crossmember. It appears that most of the original crossmember was hacked out and square stock welded into the portion that mounts to the frame. I'd revisit that crossmember and shock mounts if it was mine.]

6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

First rust patch turning out good so far. Will weld it in after the rocker is cut away. Im going to gas weld all repairs unless i dont have the gas welding touch. IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1157.JPG

Attached Files:

7. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Build your car as you see fit if no one likes the route you are going then too bad for them unless they want to come over and help.
    Keep on keepin on.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slim38 likes this.
  8. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

And when i get it finished maybe you can trade me for your badass avatar car! Thanks man. Building it my way for sure. Just think the old guys here like a little respect, right?

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Black Clover Custom...
    '41 Mercs are rare & cool on their own. And, a pair of '41 Stude tail lights - frenched-in OR with the frames as shown here - would fit the contours of your Merc fender perfectly.
    Best of luck with the finished project !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  10. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

This is my future interior. deaner3.jpg

bskustoms and rodncustomdreams like this.
  11. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Started tacking and gas welding the patches.
    Metal is really thin in some spots but MAN is gas welding awesome! Reminds me of tig because you have so much control.
    But i ended up just mig tacking the panels in because i couldnt find a good way to clamp these.
    You can see just above the ground clamp the area i was gas welding. I made the turn and got to the right edge. I will keep doing it unless the metal gets any thinner.
    Cant wait to do some lead on this car. IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1161.JPG

12. plan9

plan9

I remember East Bay Rats bounced at clubs in the city, 95/96. Reminded me we use to go to a club called So-What and pick up on the goth chicks hahaha

13. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yup! Exactly man. Have there own club house now. Way more fun. I moved away in '02.

14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Loggers piled up the brush but are leaving enough for me to get this to clean up the rest on the hillside. 1950 Allis Chalmers HD 5 dozer. Cleaned it up and did the usual maintenance. Changed a hydraulic hose and welded some CAT teeth on the blade for the brush cleanup. Love this thing.
    Also got the left side rocker all built with the right shape. ready for final welding. IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1162.JPG

15. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Left side rocker is in.
    Had to do the wifes kitchen remodel and build the kids a play structure and mow the lawn BUT i'm back on the car! FINALLY. IMG_1165.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Right rocker is in. Moving right along now. Working at night after the kids go to sleep. Nice and quiet in the shop.
    Next are the rear lower body IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG sections infront of the rear tires unless buttoning up the inside rear of the floor corners is better to do first.

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

18. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Lots more to go too. Thanks.

19. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Got the rear body lower sections on. Had to make them line up. Left was easier than right.
    IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG

20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It was a good decision to clean up the rust, will be watching with interest.

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Car is floating now so i can do the rest of the rust repair and sand blast it underneath.
    Front floor pan is next. Have to cleanup inside the red paint. The edge is were the pan sits.I flattened out the rolled edge of the front pan so it can be flush with the front floor. More cutting. I decided to weld it in and make a hole for the trans shifter. End up having a leather boot cover.
    IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG

22. alchemy

alchemy

Have you test fitted your doors lately? Bodies move around a lot when they aren't bolted down solid, and the door opening can change shape. Hate to see you make it all solid again with triangulated door openings.

Frankie47 likes this.
  23. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I know (alchemy)! Have been checking measurements ALOT as the pieces go on. The left side wanted to open up before i braced the door opening.
    Not going to finish weld the pieces until doors go back on. But the door opening is correct. I am more worried about the curves at the bottom being perfect. So i am making a template i can check on that and the door edges.

24. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

So i re-checked door measurements and door opening measurement and its all good. Just over 43 1/2 at the bottom. All looks to be correct.
    And i made some molds to check the lower contour. Fronts are good and rear was a bit off until i looked close at the door bottom and found that the bottom lip was actually bent in. From normal use i guess. Its now correct to the body.
    Alchemy from Iowa made me think twice so i had to check it all again :)
    IMG_1201.JPG

25. snuffy

snuffy

I worked in a restoration shop for years, and rumble seats are a pain in the ass. Wires... Well I guess if you gotta, you gotta, but REALLY THINK about that rumble seat. By the way, i'm thinking of getting rid of the engine in my 51 Merc. Interested?

26. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Really interested in your Merc engine!!! Let me know ANY time your ready to let it go. I have the 327 in this car that runs great and the 401 Nailhead from my 54 buick build if your interested in any of those... Have a M22 4 spd also... Any combo you want. $$$
    Nice car btw.

27. KevCo

KevCo
    from Denver CO

The advice about updating and "novelty" features are both good. I appreciate people who really are trying something different- however the "rules" and standards of good taste often exist for good reasons and cars that reach back to the '30's just don't seem to be remembered kindly and feel like they're trying too hard.
    (Also, i have to ask, what about low rider type rims that can be spoky and retro but more subtle about the '30's thing?)
    18d3m55wkcq42jpg.jpg 1981-Cadillac-Seville-ad.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

I noticed you kept a roll of toilet paper handy, just in case things got bad and the car plummeted to the concrete. ;-) oooo000.jpg

29. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Hahaha yeah and were's the change of pants right? Haha. Good eye.

30. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

So I was able to get the front floor section fitted and tacked in. Needs the edges filled and rolled a bit. Also put the rear inner fender/body patches on. Made those.
    Waiting for the original trunk floor i bought from the guy on here that is selling 41-48 floors and other pieces off of a couple of cars. Looked really solid and rust free. He said greyhound will ship it for 100. Dont really know if i trust that but we will see. Kind of excited to use that instead of the pieces that i bought from EMS. Not enough steel in the EMS kit. Especially on the sides and up the vertical part. Would be like putting a band aid on an amputated arm. My car needs more.
    IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1210.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.