Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found at the local car show yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Styler_Colfax, May 21, 2017.

1. Styler_Colfax

Styler_Colfax

I'm new to this this forum. I was judging at a local car show yesterday and this was in the "swap meet" section. I kept looking at it, not sure what it is. I do think it needs to be saved but "custom" projects are hard to research. The chassis needs to be replaced and the owner really has no clue what the chassis or suspension was built from. I have an open spot in the shop and I think this needs to be there... any insight would be helpful. It has the look of a vintage sprint or midget car, yet I have not seen a image of a car with a roof. Car also has a full roll cage.
    IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1654.JPG

2. scotts52

scotts52

Very interesting...

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Could be the only one of it's kind left on earth

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

At first I thought it looked like a piece of crap but then, for some reason, it started to look interesting. Got more pictures of it, especially the front?

5. BJR

BJR

It looks like a cartoon car.

6. Mars rover??

Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That's an original "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" produced in very limited quantities. Never sold well as you can see it had to go to a swap meet and still no takers!

belair, 54vicky and millersgarage like this.
  8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'd agree on the Roundy-rounder, probably dirt, guess.
    WAG on the rest:
    The tophat-type-section frame could be Chevy or Stude. Can't remember who else used that style of frame from the 30s-60s.
    Front suspension is ford.
    At 1st glance, the body struck me as being a circa 50(+/-) Chry products 3-window, severely sectioned every-which way. Looking closer, the top also looks almost-sorta like the 47-52 Stude 3-window coupes, after multiple sections, although the rear fenders n 'trunk' don't look right for that.
    2nd thought was the body might make a neat - at least very different - FuelAltered, injected or blown.
    Marcus...

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

It's the original Cozy Coupe!
    [​IMG]

10. Sure looks like an old dirt track car. Saw many similar cars in the sixties made out of who knows what. :cool:

11. butch27

butch27

Back panels look like a Simca ??

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

49 50 51 Plymouth business coupe body. Not enough suspension adjustment to be a dirt tracker maybe an early super modified??? Lot of New England supers used narrowed and sectioned bodies with top hat looking roofs.

Tim likes this.
  13. Well anyway, welcome to the Hamb. Second look, I think it's 40 chevy. You can see lines where it was cut and welded and appears to have a drip rail. That's my guess.

14. Tim check you PMs

15. Styler_Colfax

Styler_Colfax

From the owner...it was raced as #19 in South Boston. Being in North Carolina that could be South Boston VA. But thanks for all the ideas. It can be had at offer. It is rusty and needs a rear end to roll. Is it worth buying?

16. 55chevr

55chevr

Old circle track car for sure. For the guy looking
    for a project it would cool with a flathead.

17. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm with Slowmotion, that top must of been made for a 7 ft guy. I have a 40 chev and I sure hope it doesn't look like that.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah whatever it is it was once a late 40's coupe of some sort all narrowed and chopped up.

More photos would narrow it down but as a dirt track car it doesn't really matter really.

Worth saving? I'd say yes but I also have a few friends who own nearly a dozen old dirt track cars that we play around with in the dirt roads and pastures so I'm obviously biased

19. 55chevr

55chevr

In Maine they have a touring circuit for old time circle track cars. A lot of 1940 - 1957 cars.

20. I think it's interesting because it's not the typical Ford or Chevy or whatever.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. Styler_Colfax

Styler_Colfax

22. Styler_Colfax

Styler_Colfax

When I first saw it on the trailer I walked away. But the more I looked at it I said "you know you don't see that everyday" The more I looked at it I saw the rust and walked away again. Then later I went back and said to myself someone but a bunch of effort into chopping up this body and stitching it back together.

I am trying to see what it "could" be...I not into the rat rod vibe, that is what someone first suggested. I think getting it in period paint and running gear it would be a really near show car.

What type of rear end would I need to make this a roller? 3/4" Ford Truck with the Wide 5 to match the front?

Flat Head or Y-Block V8 ??

23. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Scrap price only in my book

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, post that on the race car thread, someone will help ID the track/club it raced with. There were a lot odd looking circle track cars back in the day. Bob

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's a 1937 Henway No-Way, single seat coupe produced for meter readers. 12 were made before the company went out of business as the biggest automotive flop in history. Some of those wound up on the dirt track circuit until they were laughed out of that also. That may well be the only one left in existence. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Sorry, I've been outside in the hot sun all day mowing/trimming the lawn, and my brain is overheated.

Finished the lawn, and finally cooled down, and then it hit me. This is actually the first Gas Monkey Garage creation since Aaron Kaufman left.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

It sure looks like an old dirt car suspension adjustment notwithstanding.I would think it would be worth fixing if you could buy it cheap enough. I would put a 250 chev 6 in it since they are cheap and available and I have speed equipment for them.

27. it's running early wide five's.....and that track nose.....hope you got a phone #.....a motor area picture would have been good....maybe to figure out what might have been in it.........early stuff fer sure......

28. on second look.....looks like it might have had a banjo rear end....pictures of frame would help.....

29. hotcargo

hotcargo

Interesting...........probably look better with chop to bring it back in proportion..........

BradinNC likes this.
  30. This car was at the Floyd Swap meet last spring in Floyd Va. I'm sort of into the old modifieds and looked closely at this one. Didn't the owner say he put that new sheet metal and nose on it?
    Anyway, several of us checked it out and thought late 40's/early 50's Chevy shortened and very much narrowed.
    I believe Tennessee and even the Shenandoah Valley of Va. raced cut downs,but
    It fits the style of northern dirt track cars more than southern modifieds.

osage orange and The37Kid like this.