Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wagon Train

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 17, 2017.

1. upspirate

upspirate

1922 Lincoln used by Henry Ford for camping, and other early pics lincoln used by henry for on caming trips.jpg 505367a5c7685487bd6eb69e0add25859eb.jpg eb10ed48f5a87482d11182ce10b633ef.jpg tincantourists.jpg

brEad, ladyhrp, Cooon and 2 others like this.
  2. Squirrel, that the same kind of wagon my dad had and the same color. He even built a big for the roof for hauling all our camping gear around with the old fashion wooden roof racks holding it down.Wish I had those old wooden roof racks now. Thanks for the picture. Good memories, when he wasn't swatting us. LOL. Bruce

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Cooon

Cooon

We use our ranch wagon all the time for camping. Have purchased a new roof top tent for it. We would always sleep in the wagon, but problem was when it was average weather you had to try and keep your gear dry. So by sleeping on the roof that problem is eliminated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always a good time cooking sausages and drinking beer on the tailgate.

brEad, Bruce Fischer, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  4. That's cool,I didn't know you could still find the roof top tents. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Roof top tents have made a resurgance, they are popular with the SUV crowd. They are expensive, natch. Look a little improbable to me. Probably work OK, but I think it's one of those great ideas that aren't so great in real life. In high winds anyway, as is common out west, they'd end up in the next county.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. I remember heading to Minnesota (from W Wa) to visit kin in Pop's Chevy II wagon. My folks were big into antiques and found a 13 piece dining room set they wanted. Great Uncle said he'd bring it west next summer but Pops wasn't waiting. The table went upside down on the roof and the twelve chairs arranged on that, then of course the rack that holds the 6 (!) table leaves, and the leaves.. There probably was already luggage on top before he found the table set. There was 4 of us and our stuff for a 3 week trip. As handy a vehicle as can be imagined. He's gone now but the last several years he spent cursing "those goddam SUVs" - up too high, ride like a truck, seats don't go flat enough, how can you load onto the roof?!
    Story is that when he went for a test drive he pulled over to open the hood because he could hardly believe that it was a six and not v8 in it. Like to have that one or one like it back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

This magazine cover reminds me of a camping trip with my parents and little brother.

[​IMG]

8. Danny,I clicked on your thread thinking "Wagon"...As a kid.yes we rode in wagons but were pulled by a team of mules..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pretty sweet camp they got set up there, and looks like they made good progress on a case of Budweiser longnecks. Those guys were the role models when I was a kid. Plaid shirts, a crew cut that said "don't even think about it"; and no BS.

HOTRODPRIMER and Bruce Fischer like this.
  10. Bob,I know you have me by a few years but when you were a kid most of them were woodies! :D HRP

11. Every time I see this car, it reminds me of this thread!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using My Borg implant

12. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Some of you may remember my good buddy Normspeed's 1953 Plymouth Momad and his restored 1947 Teardrop. We found them both at the LA Roadsters Show in the swap, different years. He hopped up the flathead six in the wagon with twin carbs, split exhaust manifold, and a lumpy cam. Look for them at a campground near you out west. They get used.

Lee IMG_3316.JPG

13. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

14. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

15. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

16. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE