Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The DMV and vintage plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny Hotnuts, May 18, 2017.

1. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts

I found these 38 plates in a box and was wanting to use them on my Oregon truck. I am sure my pops had bought these with the intent to use them.

[​IMG]

Is this possible? Is it a big pain?

~JH

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. pworm14

pworm14
    from AZ

DMV and pain seem to go together pretty well.

Not sure about Oregon but in AZ you can run year correct plates as long as they are clear in the almighty, all knowing, DMV system.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

Easy to do in Ohio as well. You just buy historical plates and they make a photocopy of your model year plate, as pworm indicated they must be clear at the BMV. You have to keep the historical plates in the car at all times… Punishable by death if they're not.

Sent by homing pigeon.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Any chance they will want commercial plates for 1938? California used to require commercial plates on commercial vehicles but they have eased up on that for the early years. If anyone has a set of '31 California commercial plates please PM me.

Charlie Stephens

5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

We were going to register my mom's 58 in Oregon with year of manufacturing plates. DMV stated only for parades, to and from shows only. Otherwise its a huge fine.

6. Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. redo32

redo32

Welcome jonny. The old farts around here will ask you to do an introduction. What part of Oregon are you in? No problem running YOM plates in Oregon. You only have to run one plate on the rear. Usual driving restrictions. Parades and club functions only, but they rarely bother you.

LOU WELLS and CapeCodBob like this.
  8. I looked in to this and what the clerk at the Oregon DMV told me was that if the plates came on the vehicle, and I believe only you know that as most records on vehicles that had not been registered for a long time were purged during the mid 90s when their new computers failed, the plates need to be presented for inspection to verify that they are the correct color and can be used. If they are not the plates that came with the vehicle you can register them as vanaty plates.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. In California YOM plates are treated like "vanity" plates and there is no restrictions on driving.

Charlie Stephens

10. Oregon is ridiculously easy with YOM plates. The only requirement is that the plates have to be the same year as the car ( hence the "year of manufacture" verbage ), and they have to be the original colors ( yes, they do know what color they are supposed to be ). You pay a onetime fee, and you never have to renew the registration. Done.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just check in on what Charlie mentioned. When I got plates for my 1929 A closed cab pickup I was required to get commercial plates in California. They have a P and a C on the side, for pneumatic commercial.

I am told that they are more relaxed now, but I have not tried it.

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here in Wi. you only need 1 plate (back) on my 51 Merc, run a 51 Calif. plate and on 51 Buick a 51 Wi. plate, it's become popular to run a front plate the year of the car, never heard of anyone harassed by Sheriff's, another thing that seems to fly is painting your back (legal) plate your car color, have not done that myself, again popular and looks good IMO. It seems here in Wi. the law doesn't bother Hot Rodders or Collector cars as long as you behave yourself.

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

$10 one time fee. The ladies here can tell if the number is good. Then I bring in a picture they send to the state, wait a month or so for the registration. Here's the rules for South Dakota;

Vehicles displaying such plates can only be used for special occasions such as displays, parades, exhibitions, tours, and similar uses, and may be driven to service stations or garages for fuel and repairs. It may not be used for general transportation purpose unless it displays regular number plates issued by the county treasurer. Regular license plates issued by this state in the same year as the year of the vehicle (this does not pertain to motorcycles) may be used on the historical vehicle in lieu of historic license plates, but must be registered through the Division of Motor Vehicles.

I think it's a special occasion every time I get one out. And it's definitely a display or exhibition. Darn sure up to them to prove otherwise if they want to shag me

14. Hey @wicarnut , technically none of the things that you descibe are strictly kosher, with the exception of only needing one plate in the rear. Not sure how you register a car in one state with a plate from a different state, and altering a plate (i.e. changing colors) has always been a no go. That being said, I run 1961 plates on the '35 Chevy, by getting vanity plates with the same number as the '61 plates. I then run the old plates instead of the new vanity plates. If they run the number, it will come back to my car. Wisconsin is VERY friendly towards the old car hobby, and most officers have better things to do than worry about us and our old cars.

15. all my DMV folks did was check and see if any vehicle in the state was using the numbers on my vintage tag
    signed some paper work and got a sticker
    super easy
    I love Alabama

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In MI I'm told you can choose vanity or historic use.

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

. The front plates on my cars are not registered to my vehicles, just decoration, no different than heartbeat Chevy plate and other types. Agree Wi. DMV is pretty friendly on old car registration, just heard a story yesterday about registering a 59 Ford PU that was purchased out of state w/o a title and not registered since 76, took some time on phone, he talked to several different people until got to investigation/person/Dept and got it done w/ bill of sale and copy of 76 registration. We are lucky in Wi. Compared to other states, agree our law enforcement divisions donot harass the car hobby, have noticed in visits to Milwaukee area, they don't seem to enforce any traffic control as driving there is a wild west deal out of control IMO, but the city, like many big cities, has so many problems to keep police occupied, sad deal, grew up there, lived in suburbs until 2010, watched the city deteriorate over the years, parts of city are still beautiful, but far to many areas now are very dangerous, shootings, thefts, gangs, drugs, etc.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charlie, I'm running non commercial YOM plates on my '39 p/u and had no issues when I registered them. Just paid the weight fees and all was good. Also ran YOM non commercial plates on two '40 1 1/2 ton trucks I owned in the past. Also no issues. I used 2 different DMV offices here in SoCal with no issues.
    Tim

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I guess you haven't been to Portage yet. I haven't had a problem YET with my 41 coupe and no front plate but my brother was stopped and ticketed with his 47 coupe for no front plate. The state patrol will definitely ticket you for painting the WI plate a different color, they will call it tampering. I run a 39-40 farm truck tag and a WI hobbyist tag on the front of my avatar.

Attached Files:

wicarnut likes this.
  20. Latigo

Latigo

Jonny, check out www.oregonplates.com in Redmond. They sell restored Oregon plates and have some good info. Just got plates from them. I've spoken with folks in the area using vintage plates and seems to be hassle free in Oregon as long as it's not a daily driver.