Register now to get rid of these ads!

San Diego Highwayman

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by mopacltd, May 14, 2017.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Glad to hear Tim was able to get him back on the road.
    The rest of the news. Not so much.

henryj1951 likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'll miss Thomas here, and maybe someday I'll try facebook again, but I kinda doubt it.
    I mean what's to like about a site where people cook their meal and then before it's eaten, they take a pic and post it:confused:

henryj1951, lbcd and Ford52PU like this.
  3. I just talked to Thomas and he told me that the mods didn't like the things he was posting that wasn't related to hot rods. You can check out what he has to say on face book. Thats all I am saying on this subject. Bruce.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    henryj1951 and MUNDSTER like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys, I'm not into internet dramatics. It's just not my thing. Never has been.

Many of you have already decided that I was in the wrong for banning him... even without knowing the whole story - or just assuming they do? I guess I'm fine with that. I mean, if you are willing to jump to conclusions so easily about me, you obviously don't know me and you obviously don't give a shit about the other side. So... What do I care?

At the end of the day, I'm more concerned about the folks that do take the time.

Kevin said it better than I can.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I care about the "whole story" & "the other side" but we the members, out of the loop, never get to hear it so our (my) mind runs wild about why a member is no longer with us. I am going to try something different for me, going to mind my own business....................................

crminal and henryj1951 like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bottom line is that its your site and your rules and they exist for a reason. I appreciate you taking the time to shed a different light on this. Yes he did ramble a bit but obviously there was more to the story. Regardless, I was more than happy to PayPal Tim a few bucks (and got a cool calendar to boot) so the Y block could be fixed. A lot of HAMBers stepped up to help out on this and its kind of sad that things ended up the way they did. Just my .02 cents worth.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, sure seems like the go-to for a lot of people is a moderator going "too far" without stopping to consider any other reason.

I just assumed everyone who comes here already knows we are DRUNK WITH POWER! (Um, that was a joke—we're just here trying to make the place run smoother, honest)

8. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

If he can be banned for something like that then I'm gonna protest this site, I'm all for rules but there has got to be 1 exception to every rule or in this case site I'm done unless they reinstate him, HRH

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

henryj1951 likes this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you feel that way then maybe the HAMB is not for you.

The HAMB is about Traditional Hot Rods and Customs........

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff, X38 and 8 others like this.
  10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm amazed it went on as long as it did. I think he was given more latitude than most would of been given and the mods were extremely fair.

crminal, henryj1951 and Blue One like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Everyone needs a good cause to get behind I guess... Good for you man. Resist.

12. hamb.PNG
    Well, I thought it was kind of funny.....I will miss the stories and his can do attitude. I'm thinking he inspired a bunch of good deeds in this hectic unforgiving world.

henryj1951 likes this.
  13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The HAMB is about Hot Rods and Custom cars.......

If guys are here to post more about themselves than Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Cars then maybe the HAMB is not for you.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In the post war years when hot rodders were trying to gain public acceptance and lose the stigma of movies such as "Hot Rods to Hell" and the like, the responsible and right thinking guys formed clubs that made a habit of doing just what Thomas has done, stop and help people stranded on the roadside, do all possible to get them going again, all without any gain to themselves except the satisfaction of knowing they had helped another human being in the time honored tradition from biblical times and the Good Samariton. And like Thomas, they presented the person they helped with a card, in their case telling the person they had been assisted by a member of the club named thereon. And if that ain't traditional, then I don't know what iso_O

15. 46stude

46stude

Can someone photochop the dog pic to say "kill this thread" instead of "let him stay" for me?

This is just the ol' Interweb, guys. Trivial shit like some guy being booted off a site isn't anything grown men should really give a frak about.

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Guess it takes people to TALK , don't think the old era , vintage or ( traditional ) cars can stand up to be counted, all on there own, it IS the people who make this car site a rare and fabulous place to be.
    These are the TIMES we live in, and i see the WIDE latitude given, MOST of the time.
    But...Ya BUT the ban hammer is an almighty tool yielded a bit to frequent, IMHO(in my humble opinion).
    Can you imagine 50 years ago , none of this was here.
    Sure I built this, and I built that, if we aren't saying I , what would be here---? (nothing but a BLANK),
    it takes PEOPLE to type and join in , without it , well as i already said this would be a BLANK.
    The FACT remains that this is ALMOST by INVITATION only, but in reverse, i (the owner) sets the boundaries , sure come swim in MY POOL , but get out of hand (unruly) and OUT you go, and DON'T Come back unless and untill you can FOLLOW MY RULES.
    Namaste

brigrat likes this.
  17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I get the feeling their letting us vent, that's a plus!

wraymen and henryj1951 like this.
  18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok - I'm going to post this one more time and note both paragraphs because evidently you don't understand or you disagree.

"The HAMB is about Hot Rods and Custom cars.......

If guys are here to post more about themselves than Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Cars then maybe the HAMB is not for you."

If that is THE case..... that you don't understand or disagree with either quoted paragraph above then maybe the HAMB is not for you.

20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I get it.... SOME do not.
    I'd LOCK ER UP COB

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I think it's time to lock it down, before I lose my cool and type something that gets me banned. I don't want that because on the whole, this is the best hot rod site going.

henryj1951 likes this.
  22. Thank you for putting the photo shop back up. That is just what came to mind as I was reading this thread. My warped interpretation of the famous magazine cover was only meant to lighten it up a bit.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

In 2017, we've banned three people (not including spam accounts).

In 2016, we banned 10 people total.

You have to be pretty damned disrespectful to be banned. Seriously... I mean, what would our motivation be to ban someone? It's the absolute last thing as a passionate business owner that I WANT to do. Think about it.

The two most common reasons? Fraud or telling one of us to essentially go screw ourselves.

Now, I could go into the reasons this guy was banned... but how fair would that be being he isn't here to defend himself? Again, internet dramatics just isn't my thing. And I don't really care if someone that is into that stuff disagrees with me. I'm totally fine with it... Honestly, people into that stuff aren't really the type of people I typically hang out with anyway... Different strokes for different folks.

Opinions are fine man... Expressing them like someone without compassion or ability to see both sides is not.

At the end of the day, this whole thing is stupid. Really stupid.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I guess i'm not privy to the amount...SORRY , ........I Was UNAWARE it was SO low........--->(MY BAD)...........You have my sincere apologies .
    I agree.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I never had any communication or dealings with Highwayman, in my defense I got caught up in the human side of it, an elderly do good man, bad health, lost his 4 legged pal, newly running main driver broke down, being kick when already down. I always root for the under dog or little guy, in this case I should have minded my own bizz and let the powers that be do their job.........................................

kaydub and henryj1951 like this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Ryan after quoting me, you state that one should be able to accept differing opinions from both sides, so I must be the one you were referring to with your statement on that. I assure I can accept differing opinions, but have difficulty accepting the manner in which some people express their opinions. I'm not too tolerant about wise ass remarks, and that's not directed at you but at a few other people who have entered this discussion.
    And you must admit; even though it was a bit "backhanded" I did pay the HAMB a compliment when i stated I didn't want to get banned because on the whole, this is the best hot rod site going:D:cool:

henryj1951 likes this.
  27. metalshapes

metalshapes

DOM, the backhandedness of your compliment was clear.
    No need to explain it.

But as much as you may want it to be, this is not about you.

Its about an Off Topic user who, apparently, refused to take a hint.

So lets let Ryan and the other Mods get on with the task at hand.
    Like protecting the focus of the HAMB on Traditional Hot Rods & Customs, so you can keep enjoying the best Hot Rod site going.

28. I read all the drama in this thread and came to the conclusion I don't have a dog in this fight,but I will say this,I've read a few of the Thomas exploits in the past and the man dedicated himself to helping motorist,a modern day Good Samaritan and there is nothing wrong with that but I honestly believe his targeted audience is the Facebook crowd that enjoys hearing tales of a hero coming to the rescue of a unfortunate soul on the side of the road.

I might be right or wrong depending on what side of the fence your on but I am entitled to my own opinion. HRP

kiwijeff, henryj1951, crminal and 2 others like this.
  29. BTW,I agree it's time to lock this thread before some well meaning member says the wrong thing and ends up holding the $hitty end of the stick. HRP

henryj1951 likes this.
  30. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

kidcampbell71 and metalshapes like this.