Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Cream and Green Bucket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greasyman, May 16, 2017.

1. Greasyman

Greasyman

Anyone know anything about this cream and green car? I remember seeing it in Hot Rod about five years ago (I think). Seemed the magazine focused on the creative engineering and inexpensive cost. I think it's a tasteful and interesting car, and I'd like to know more.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google underslung 25 Dodge.

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Hope it never gets a front flat tire....

Max Gearhead likes this.
  4. Greasyman

Greasyman

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Must have not known about scrub. Flat tire on that one and you would be laying frame and probably be in the ditch dead.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Talked to the builder many years ago at the CHRR about this car, interesting guy, looked the car over pretty well too. It was highly detailed with TONS of cool little features.
    Definately not a "homogenous" hot rod.
    That chrome tach on the cowl is a Stewart Warner, very cool piece, I had one in the 70's.

8. jackalope

jackalope

Doesn't look like it'll be a problem actually. Those frame horns will act like skis. For some reason the suspension and front springs "seem" like they wouldn't function properly.
    I do like the ingenuity employed here and the simplicity of it all. And for that darn little amount of money. L

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

He was a very talented race car builder and car guy and I'm sure he knew about scrub lines.
    As mentioned that frame would probably skid along and throw lots of sparks.

I'm sure that car is still around and being driven now.

10. I think the owner is a member here, I do remember much discussion over this cool Dodge some years back, perhaps it was from another member who was planning a similar suspension, but got talked out of it.
    Negativity aside, I like this Hot Rod.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I guess I dont care if the guy was a talanted builder or not there are thing when building a car that you do and dont do, and this car is an example what you dont do.

12. jackalope

jackalope

What exactly do you NOT do? The one thing that is sketchiest to me is the low slung front of the frame that looks like a big bump would cause contact with pavement. The horns are not gonna dig in so a stiff front suspension would make this concern moot.
    The other thing is how that spring configuration even allows the spring to do what it's intended to do. Even with the leaves reversed it doesn't seem like they would compress correctly.
    But, please help me understand what is wrong here. They made no mention of problems in the article I read.

13. shadams

shadams

I dont know, not sure why people get their panties in a wad when they see something they deem is the wrong way to do it. Its just a toy. And if he were to get a flat and crash and die well thats on him and his risk to take. We are all driving unsafe vehicles when compared to modern rides. I'm less worried about getting hit by something like this then by a teenager in a lifted diesel blowing black smoke while driving 90 down the highway. Havent put a whole lot of thought into it but the car looks pretty radical. I dont think it functions as well as it could if done differently but then it wouldnt be as unique either.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    fauj and kiwijeff like this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You NEVER build a frame or any part that has a scrub line that is lower than the bottom of the wheel. If you have a tire that goes down the frame is going to contact the road. I'm not here to get in a pissing match about it, but people can say if this car had a tire go down it wouldnt dig in it would skid. That is not the point. There are thousands of things that could happen and the most serious would be you wouldnt be around to tell the story of your blow out or the person you drift into there lane and kill them doesnt tell there story either.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    tfeverfred likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that one is one of the "pro fairgrounds" rigs that gets trailered to events where it cruises the event and maybe smooth streets between the event and the motel and goes back in the trailer and goes home. Pretty much like the blown alcohol hemi powered Willys that rump rump though some Good guys events every two hours on the two hour mark .
    Just out of curiosity I looked up American underslung and found out that they ran 40 inch wheels on them. Looking at this photo the axle on the American Underslung is between the frame and spring. A guy cou could put the axle below the spring on that little roadster and raise the rear up slightly and it might have scrub line clearance but still look cool as hell.
    14-American-Underslung-642-DV-13-PBC_01.jpg

16. Greasyman

Greasyman

He should have stuck the trucks from his kid's skate board under the frame. You know, for emergencies. If he blew a tire, he could steer just by shifting his weight. :D

shadams likes this.
  17. jackalope

jackalope

I'm not trying to get into a "pissing match" at all. I asked a question. Just a simple question. I would venture a guess that if an engineer to a look at something you built there may be some questionable Irts he/she may not sign off on

Therefore, it might be prudent to simply keep this light hearted and just answer the questions without coming across as an _________.

Btw, I am all for safety. I just wanted to know your concerns. Deep breath...... Now, exhale.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Unsafe? Maybe. I'm just curious as to why it's in the "Traditional Hot Rods" forum? More "Street Rod" than anything else. Bu hell, what's in a label?