Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who's installed 53-54 Chevy Bendix Brakes on your 50 re

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RATRODCHEVY, May 10, 2017.

1. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Just picked up 54 Chevy car front brakes, complete from spindle to dust cap to install on the front of my 50 to replace the Huck brakes. Hoping to hear from others who've performed similar swap. Do the spindles need to be swapped out? I know the backing plates, shoes, hardware, and drums are different. Anything else I should look out for? I have an ECI dual master cylinder setup. Also, did you upgrade to roller bearings? Thanks in advance for your response

2. You don't need the spindles. I took Mr. Squrriels advise and used the same old rollers. Saved the money for something else. You have two sets of bearings I'm betting you have plenty of good left. Match used bearings to their same races. This is my uneducated opinion.

3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with 325W, now it's been forty years since I installed 54 brakes on 1938 Spindles, but his description is exactly as I remember it.

4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

RRC, I'm just about to change out my TRUCK Hucks with Bendix. I have over 100,000 miles on these Huck brakes, due for another set so I'm going to the Bendix which are wider, greater surface area, meaning, I should stop a little better. Huck stuff is available but the drums are 3X as much$. I am going to use the roller bearings, again 100k miles on the ball bearings, just going to replace the whole of the wheel with new.

5. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

When I did my '49 Chevy it was easy - you do need the spacers behind the backing plates to the spindle that is used on the Bendix brakes.

6. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is the stuff I was hoping to get.

7. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

If you do use the 1954 uprights it will give you 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch drop over the '50 uprights

504640 likes this.
  8. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Thanks, I'm have Fatman uprights.

9. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I did the Huck-Bendix swap with tapered roller bearings. One of the best improvements I've ever done on the truck.

10. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What roller bearings did you use?

11. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

All-in one kit from CPP