Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2017 Banger Meet - Sun shining on all 4***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Try Steve over at Berts also

2. How's this for a little Bangin!?
    Went to the MAFCA spring opener with my Model A club this past weekend. We did about 500 miles total over the weekend. My stock coupe is down so I brought the speedster. It was a great weekend. Saturday it rained for the entire 150 mile tour to Truckee and back. What a blast driving an open car in the rain is
    [​IMG]
    Improvised carport at the hotel!
    [​IMG]
    AT least it didn't SNOW, which was predicted:eek:

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

tiny , which club do you run with ?

4. The Redding Rambling A's
    I'm the President

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

really , good for you . I run with the "butte view A's" . our club is getting to old & few members ......... thanks

6. PhredH

PhredH

So why does my banger sound like, well.. a Massey Ferguson tractor?
    This flat head four is quite warmed over with cam, valves, higher compression, etc. I've run long and short glasspaks, straight pipes, and a lakester header and the sound is unimpressive (in my opinion).
    We've got half the cubes of a real v8, twice as many as a Harley, and nearly the same amount as a V8 flattie. All these can have their own distintive hot rod sound, while the banger sounds like...

I know, "get a Harley" or "put in a V8". But I am curious..
    Peace to all, Phred

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have a similar motor & one porter muffler split behind the muffler . it is loud (101db) but it sounds like a hot rod . straight out of the header it sounds like a tractor , but with the exhaust hooked up its different . straight or glass pack was not as good as my exhaust is now . just lucky I guess .

8. All the Model A clubs are getting old. You should have come up to Quincy it was a blast. I was the "kid" at the event for sure

9. If you want it to sound like a V8 put a V8 in it. All motors have a distinctive sound. I think tractors sound like Model A's
    My "tractor":p [​IMG]This is straight pipe for about 6' back from a tube header with a hollow 8" glass pack, a high compression head with dual carbs, and a touring cam

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Dannerr likes this.
  10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The entire following is about sound, not power.

Are you running a header? When I did my speedster I started with a stock B manifold to a 2" pipe, loud and industrial. I then grafted a section of 3" pipe about 4' long...more mellow, but still industrial. The last iteration was 4" cone collector into a 4" exhaust, much more big bore low rpm race car (boom boom rumble), per se. In the end it is a flat motor...it isn't going to sound like an offy.

Another option is going with dual 2" pipes, it will sounds like tearing sandpaper...much more crack. Play around with the tubes, as to stick the exhaust pulses together 1&2...4&3 or space them out. Also play with the length of the pipe, exhaust is a sinewave.

If you really want change the tone, go find an organ pipe maker, get a length of copper organ pipe...

Dannerr likes this.
  11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Checking in...
    Scintilla in the Tudor seemed to be weakened (running well cold, but crappy when warm), so tried to pull it. Was stuck in the welded-up head, so pulled it (as it was to go on the pre-'48 racer later) Sunday, cleaned it all up Monday, and put a G38T head on it Tuesday - and torqued it! Then the new B-water pump was ca. 3mm (approx. 0,12") too long in the impeller, so it didn't line up against the head - pulled out the crusty old one, lubed that up, and put that in Wednesday. Thursday; removed the limiter from another Scintilla, put that in, start up, sounded ok, very short test drive at 22:45, and back at home, it started smoking and steaming like crazy! Home from work Friday, I desperately tried retorquing it, and turning it over, but new head gasket was leaking, sending water through the exhaust and down in the oil, so took it all apart, and left it out to dry.
    Then I went to Vestjydsk Grusbaneløb (Western Jutland Gravel track race) in the "piss yellow deuce golf", where the race was on saturday; three bangers vs. one Chev straight six - Anders won, in his good looking '29 roadster:
    [​IMG]
    I shot these videos during the race (can't figure out, how to insert them as videos, so you have to click the links):
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1OvMegOOS/,
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1O8LFAKwi/,
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1PY0dggk9/,
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1P1Fmg7fj/.

Binger and waxhead like this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

upload_2017-5-9_8-55-50.png

very nice car .

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

All the Model A clubs are getting old. You should have come up to Quincy it was a blast. I was the "kid" at the event for sure.............
    no young people interested in a slow , no a/c , etc. I'm the youngest in my club ............

15. I'm trying to get my kids interested. I told them lets build a car the 9 year old is all over it the 15 year old would rather just have my old Toyota pick up. I'm 44 so I was probably the youngest y 20+ years at the meet;)

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Dannerr
    Recharge the magnets and get a new high amp coil, plus condenser. Please make sure the cap isn't leaking. Things do get old especially the coil .... the old ones are weak, low output, than the newest ones. Always fit the highest amor coil you can fit inside.....

I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED DOUG'S CAR

Dannerr likes this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I'm 44 so I was probably the youngest y 20+ years at the meet ...................

I would think so . some kids just want to turn key & drive . ive always been a (greaser) as they call people who work on their cars . my 21 yr old g/son told me that ...........

Dannerr and Tiny like this.
  18. I had some time to play try this one!

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Jet96, MightyTim and waxhead like this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

rain ex needed

Dannerr likes this.
  20. I look over the windshield my googles were rainexed

Dannerr and gas pumper like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

22. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

[​IMG]

Painted numbers on the half devil special for the race of gentlemen...have to do a motor swap this weekend as the one I have in her now has so much blowby that more exhaust comes out the oil fill than the exhaust pipe. Still chirped the tires in first and second trying to unstick the rings. The motor was rebuilt but has been sitting for at least 10yrs. Won't really know til I tear it down this summer. Looked good when I dropped the pan and changed the head.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

were you there this last year ? I was and it was awesome . I don't run a wiper just rain ex . works well . nice car !

24. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

25. Neat car. What are the rear tires?

26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Little slow checking in for the month. Busy next couple of weeks coming up. Getting the coupe ready for the dirt drags in Colorado! Hope to see some of you there!

27. 97

Rainex is far too modern, use a freshly cut potato, just wipe the cut face on the screen or your goggles .... as taught to me by Martin Miller (my Dad's race mechanic) in 1968...I was 13 and had just got my RPU with no wipers ( still have it). Even then he was telling me "That's how we used to do it, back in the old days!" .

Outback, gas pumper and Dannerr like this.
  28. noboD

noboD

I'm told an onion will work for rain-x too.

gas pumper likes this.
  29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the things you learn !
    Your mag runs great BTW. it should as I had it rebuilt . glad you like it ..........

gas pumper and Dannerr like this.
  30. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Goodyear deluxe all weather.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app