Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical shaken not stirred

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Apr 3, 2017.

1. i can buy more ice cream........

it may have looked like a silly test but it is an interesting [and tasty] way to see the mixing process. yes i would bet that some marbles thrown in the can would speed the mixing. easy enough to do and they would be caught in the strainer.......

yes and raisons will clog the spray gun. so we better not switch them.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ball bearings may be a bit safer than glass marbles and keep the health department away from your ice cream parlor / paint shop. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. williebill

williebill

It has not been perfected after years of patient research entirely for that purpose......

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. BobPer

BobPer

Captain Morgan and ice cubes would seem like the logical next step, in the name of science of course.

Chavezk21 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. stimpy

stimpy

back to the thread at hand , I had a old BInks spray gun/ cup that has a mixer in it for the old heavy metalflake/glitter paints that kind of shakes it ( from the mixer moving up and down in the cup hitting the stops ) and stirs the paint as you shoot it . I got it as a throw in at a shop sale and cleaned it up and resold it for $500 to a custom motorcycle shop and the guy uses it quiet often .

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. do you have a photo of what's inside? did it just dangle like a bell gong?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. williebill

williebill

Knew this would come back up... RIP Sir Roger

The37Kid and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. stimpy

stimpy

it was a round flat plate with holes in it and it had a piston style motor that moved it up and down slowly about 3-5" and stopped about 1/4" from the bottom about once every 2-3 seconds , thing was noisy and had a shut down valve on it , as once you connected it it started to move . and the gun was kind of bulky around the top where the rod and pistons were and a little heavy , and it was a PITA to clean as you had to diassemble the paddle assy which went around the pick up tube .

9. wow, that's crazy,i never seen or heard of such a thing. battery powered or did it have a cord?

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. stimpy

stimpy

air powered from the same line that supplied the spray gun , they also made a model that uses a pressure pot that held about 2 gallons . the old ones are built the same way the new ones use a stirrer like a slow egg beater

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. williebill

williebill

Sounds like something Mr. Big or Tee Hee would use....

12. mixed my first metallic paint, when i opened the can i could still see the swirls of metallic i previously tried to stir out . it sprayed out perfect.
    cue Shirley Bassey......... DSCF0002.JPG

chryslerfan55, Bowtie Coupe and Jet96 like this.
  13. stimpy

stimpy

thats super small metallic , the paints my gun was made for is this stuff [​IMG]

which now they basically put on after the base coat with a blow style gun instead of in the paint and clear coat it .

14. i love the way filler spreads after a good spin. DSCF0001.JPG

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you done a side by side comparison with the NAPA stuff?:rolleyes: Side A of the Coupe vs side B? Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. no, is that what you guys use?

17. Rich S.

Rich S.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I used RAGE on my Roadster firewall, and couldn't believe how nice it went on and sanded off. Bob

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  19. last year i bought was going to buy some primer from jon kozmoski, when he had a garage sale-he saw i was just about to pay for it, & said he would take it in back & give it a shake, saved me some money by letting me know it was no good,but i stood there & watched the master shake a gallon can of primer with a paint shaker. i didnt think there was any other way to mix paint

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. williebill

williebill

Spreads like Moneypenny?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

One could only imagine..... :):D:rolleyes:

22. it is still working and one of my best investments. stirs paint, cocktails and dessert.......

23. williebill

williebill

Glad to hear that you're still shaking......... don't ever be tempted to stir.

24. IMG_4427.JPG
    I did not use it to mix the dye I used to neaten up this model A top because the dye came in a small plastic jug. If the dye had come in a can I would have mixed it in the machine.........maybe next time..............I am sure I will................. dye another day.

25. williebill

williebill

I see in todays news that JB is going electric. How about a Christopher Walken type to blow up the power grid in the next one. Or stay pre 65 and be traditional, Disco Volante or earlier

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Shake it. Like someone said varnish and related wood clear coats should always be stirred. Other than that shake all automotive paints

tb33anda3rd and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. in honor of Honor.
    "she was not a bimbo"

Bowtie Coupe, williebill and The37Kid like this.
  28. There might be a grain of truth in that for older style, brush-on, boat varnish. But for anything sprayed through a proper spray gun, don't be skeered of no bubbles.