Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What carb for tunnel ram

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Mar 24, 2017.

1. What you really need is 6 wcfbs. :D

Keep with it you'll get it sorted out. ;)

2. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

3. Alright fellas,I got a holley 750,double pumper,4 corner idle carb on it. So far it WILLL NOT start whatsoever without a choke. That seems odd to me.

It took probably 10 pumps of gas,and the choke closed to even fire.it will not even start with it open.its been my experience that with a choke open it will start fine if you feather the throttle till it's warmed up a bit

I don't run manual choke cables cause I don't want another hole in my firewall so it took 2 of us to even get it to fire. I've never ran a choke on this car ever

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

No manifold heat to help atomize the fuel until the manifold gets warm. If possible put an electric choke on it. No cable. Put a nitrous purge solenoid and spray gas until it warms up.
    Take the damn setup off and stop being aggravated. Put something on that works and enjoy your car.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My TR starts on the 1st crank , hot , cold , cold you have to give it acouple minutes w a couple pumps on the pedal till it warms a bit , same as any carbed engine , sounds like you may hav a vacuum leak...

swade41 likes this.
  6. 2old- yeah that's what I figured and I'm fine with having to feather it a bit while cold but it should fire up at least and it doesn't. I've never ran chokes on cars. I agree it does sound like a vacuum leak but there's really nowhere that I can find/see (won't run long enough really to check)

South- yeah burn the car to the ground too! I mean it must be junk too

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you can remove the plenum [those gakts. are 1 place for a leak] you can lok down the runners & use a mirror to see how you're intake gaskets line up ...

8. I replaced those before I put it on. I'm usually pretty thorough but I do miss things. Like I just noticed the primaries are not squirting at all. It was dark last night so all I could see is the secondaries squirting. Shined a light down the choke today and seen there's absolutely no fuel. Plates are dry as can be and there's no pump shot at all. That explains why it took so much pumping,it's only doing half its job!

Front bowl is full,but that's about all. I have a old 600dp that's known good as I just had it built and tested,I'll throw that on while I wait for a gasket set for the 750.

9. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

none of my business , but this whole thread has been an interesting read. As I get it you what a street drive able car ,not a race car.
    is the tunnel ram for performance or looks . If you want the car to perform well ,get a Edelbrock 7201 manifold,little high RPM range, ,put a "good" 750 carb on it and learn how to tune the engine . I have found that you can't just bolt on any carb and expect it to run right. tuning is a lot of trial and error. You have already been giving a lot of good advice from people that know. And by the way there is nothing wrong with a well tuned Edelbrock.

10. Edelbrocks are junk. Everyone has their experience. I like how just cause you ask questions some ppl deem you an idiot.

I'm not running for all out performance here. Get it to run first.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did not mean to offend you . I have run tunnel rams since my first Ridgeway back in the late 60's.
    A nitrous fogger nozzle with a very small jet can be used as a primer when you spray gas into the intake. I have used them to crank my stack injected motor rather than a squirt bottle.
    When you get it to run take a propane torch with a hose and spray around the intake if it picks up rpm's you have a vacuum leak , don't light the torch just spray the gas. It's called a propane enrichment test. Used it in dealerships all the time.
    You said you bought the manifold used . It may have been cut for milled heads. I bought a used small block intake one time like that , had to double up on the intake gaskets to get it to seal.
    I have been having really good luck with Quick Fuel carbs. Call them and they can steer you in the right direction. I did not refer to you as an idiot.

12. It lives! I had put on my rebuilt 600dp and with some adjustments I've got it idling and reving. Cam sounds a bit mushy now but it's been a while maybe I just forgot it's sound

You are right about the mulled heads thing being something to check. Luckily I don't have that issue but it did skip my mind and was a good idea to check. And yes,I actually did buy a brand new quick fuel,it looks awesome but I'm going to be using that on my 383 in my studebaker. And you are right,you did not.sorry for misunderstanding

13. Took it for a spin,it does have a part throttle bog,assuming lean bog,and it's only got a baby 600 on it right now,but it runs down the road.will rebuild my 750 and try that

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Get a vacuum gauge hood up to it so you can get started tuning.

15. Unfortunately this little 600 is not a 4 corner idle so there's not much to tinker with on it.

I assume I need the bigger squirter conversion kit done to it too

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Use the vacuum gauge to pick a power valve.

17. I had a brand new polished quick fuel 650dp with billet plate and blocks that I was reserving for my higher hp project but I decided to stick it on here and see what happened.

Well guys,it runs pretty damn close to perfect.bolted it on the T-ram and away I went. Only had to adjust idle and fiddle with tighter springs.throttle response is amazing,accelerates hard,no stumbles.. I guess you CAN bolt stuff on and make it work huh. I think the naysayers would be impressed with my 'motor not designed for a tunnel ram' and 'it'll never run right' is running pretty good. Gotta give quick fuel credit,I REALLY like their work.a little pricey but I'd say it's worth it.

Will tune this a little better next week.but as of my short trip around it feels like this thing has very very good street manors.

18. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I usta run a single four Weiand with a 600 vac sec(that's all I had) and run it hard one night, and it sucked the top to bottom gasket on one of the gang of fours, I didn't know till I got it home and looked there with a flashlight. That was in 1976 and I wound up buying a Holley 780 vac secondary new for $135 or so. Third gear was where it all came together for the old RoadRunner 383.It was fun, drive around with a Offy 360 intake piss someone off and agree to meet for a speed contest.30 minutes later the tunnel ram was on and the accel cable extended by a tape player "ground" bracket. I was a 20 year old working at Otasco (anyone remember them) making just enough to pay bills and there were all this kids whose dad had bought them a Camaro or Type LT Camaro. That second hand $60 tunnel ram and a well used 68 Plymouth helped me understand not all combinations make sense..

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good deal.....all this fussin and you had it on the shelf.

20. Salt flats- haha I know right!

I really was saving it for my nice motor,I'll just have to save and get another. I really recommend the quickfuel brawlers. Fully polished,billet fuel blocks,billet base plate,clear sights,4 corner idle And adjustable air bleeds. I've never bolted on a carb 'out of the box' that ran so well.and it weighs about half of what a traditional Holley does.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What an absurd blanket statement. I have about 200 happy customers running that junk. Maybe I am just abnormally lucky at tuning.

swade41, mrhp and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  22. Hombre

Hombre

Not luck gimpy, You just know what you are doing. It's only junk when you are too dumb to make it work.

23. Want a cookie?

Heeey bad hombre. Sinco de mayo is over. But thanks for your comment with helpful info. I guess street rod guys are a bit different but who am I to judge

24. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41 likes this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Amazing what how good Quick fuel stuff runs right out of the box. I heard they were a couple of former Holley employees that started the company. Is that true?
    I have bought and installed a half dozen of their carbs and no issues for my own cars or customers cars. Even with the crap gas we have to run ,they work. I run non ethanol fuel in all my carb applications. My local Citgo station sells it and its 90 octane. They call it boat gas. A little pricey , but everything from my 4 stroke weed eater to my hot rods run it and no rubber break down in the lines or corrosion.