Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Waynesville Auto Parts Comanche maybe?

Waynesville-Auto-Parts-Missouri-55-Chevy-2D-post-D-Gas-283.jpg

Roy "Goober Tuller" in the Scrima Liner

Roy Goober Tuller in the Scrima liner.jpg

Rays Haulin Henry

1955-Ford-Rays-Haulin-Henry.jpg

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The blue Bantam is the last version of Terry Mills B/C out of Lake Oswego, Or. Not sure if Terry was a partner at that time. The Chassis was built and owned by Ronnie Stevens (Northwest Race Cars, before selling the business to Jack Slawick). The Dragster under the Bantam body, became a JR Fuel car, Stevens, Weidmen and Rossi. My old friend Tom Willford bought the body at the Portland Swap Meet some time ago, it was sold at his estate sale. Terry Mills 2.jpg Bantem body.JPG

3. L.C. Kirby in his blown Cad powered Bandini A modified sports car from Texas. This was a badass car. Took the class record away from Sam Parriott. Pretty much stock bodied, except for the 18" stretch at the firewall. Note the "manual" line lock.

[​IMG]

4. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Union Grove, Wisconsin - near lane Hot Rod Shop Twin, far lane unfamiliar with.
    1-182.jpg

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

That is my photo of the Dragway Automotive '57. The photo was taken by me at Bluegrass Dragway in Lexington, KY during a IHRA Points meet.

loudbang and ClayMart like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Please excuse the photos a man is trying to salvage a bunch if old photos and there is some visible damage to some.
    1.JPG

2.JPG
    Starter is thinking please don't let it snow

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

loudbang likes this.
  9. Jacinda Mendoza

Jacinda Mendoza

First junior fed in New Zealand, first in the world to race in a proper competition completely home built by my dad, [​IMG]runs a 250 cc Honda 4 cyl, well it's more like 3 and the 4th joins in when it feels like it. Ran a PB of 9.56 @ 68.3, before ripping the sprocket. Over the off season we are putting on a wheelie bar and a front wing

The front wheels are actually custom made bike wheels, and dad made the chassis and body etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alphabet soup and enloe like this.
  10. Nice, but too knew for this thread.

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    The late Larry Bright in the second Bright Boys twin. The team was a standout in Junior Fuel and tried Top Fuel with a pair of injected small blocks in a long wheelbase (for the time) car. They also ran a De Soto powered J/F car. I would venture to guess that the pictured car probably ran Pro Comp.

Roo

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    tommyd, Dean Lowe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  13. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Here is one that you don't see very often. The late Eddie Flournoy was a pioneering black racer who ran both T/F and injected gas dragsters from 1959 to 1976. His son Rodney followed in his footsteps as both a crew chief and driver. Eddie passed away in October of 2010 while Rodney still campaigns with a nostalgia funny car.

Roo

tommyd, Gammz, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  14. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

There is not enough of the car visible to make an identification (apart from the fact that it appears to be a Woody) but the guy in the black hat may be Larry Sutton. In the second era of Lions (post Mickey) there were two starters at Lions, Larry and Tim "Weed" Kraushaar and Tim wore a flat brimmed hat so it is not him.

Roo.

Gammz, Dean Lowe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the same car in color courtesy of We Did It For Love but still no ID.

Roo

tommyd, Gammz, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  16. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Trying to figure out which track this is. The mountains are correct for Pomona but the power poles in the background are not. Early Irwindale maybe?

Roo

tommyd and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just love those American "bear paw" wheels and 200-S "Coke bottles" on these cars.

18. Those look like big blocks to me!
    [​IMG]

Wally Pervis likes this.
  19. Irwindale , the power lines ID it!

20. rooman

rooman

They are Gary. The early small block double had a totally different chassis--higher seat, lots longer wheelbase. I just edited my post to make it clear that this was the second double.

Roo

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  21. rooman

rooman

That is what I thought. That was long before my time in the US but a while back Mousie, Jake McCloud, Dave Mandella and I did a tour of old strip locations in the LA area and I saw the power poles in the vicinity of the brewery.

Roo

22. Since that is OCIR, I'd say snow is pretty unlikely.
    [​IMG]

Dean Lowe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

Yep! Near lane car looks like a mid 60's Woody--floating motor upright and no more uprights until the fuel tank/radius rod area and the radius rod tabs on the top of the frame.

Roo

24. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

It's deceiving because, I believe, either the negative is flipped or the car is making a charge toward the starting line and less rugged. 9.JPG Those hills were behind the north (parking lot) side of the track and hills visible when looking south were much farther away. This view suggests to me that the track might have been San Gabriel. The pictures of my car at Irwindale show ordinary power lines in the background, not the much larger long distance towers. Also, Irwindale used guardrail sections (armco railings) and I don't remember that much usage of bailed straw along the track.

Just my fading recollections.

c

Dean Lowe and Mark Hinds like this.
  25. rooman

rooman

Thanks Chuck. Re the hay bales, I was thinking that it had to be early in the track's life as I saw that Irwindale had guard rail in a lot of the shots that I looked at but was considering the probable vintage of the race car in this photo. I just found some Steve Gibbs shots from San Gabe and the towers are there so you are on the money.

Roo

26. 296ardun

296ardun

I posted this a couple of years ago, the photo is reversed, Mazooma1 (Doug Hayes) reversed it and printed it correctly, San Gabriel.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  27. 296ardun

296ardun

mariaCVR.jpg
    back when gassers were closer to street cars...Santa Maria

kenz muffler2.jpg
    I think that this is Kenz Muffler, Ken Crawford...it is at Santa Maria.

fredlarsonscrewdrivers.jpg
    Fred Larsen gets backed up at Santa Ana...this is from the really early Santa Days, as the circle on the track is still there (was painted on during WWII for military bombing practice). Fred is better known for his Bonneville cars, but he also drag raced. This photo is from the FaceBook page of the Screwdrivers of Culver City.

GrecoClark.jpg
    Greico & Clark, "Black Box," Olds powered, looks like Bakersfield. Hank Clark would go on to fuel dragsters.

minternelson.jpg
    The ex-Jazzy Nelson Fiat-bodied competition coupe at Minter Field, around '55. The Bakersfield Smokers operated Minter until they moved to Famoso. I saw this coupe years later at San Gabriel, painted orange and running a small block. I have no idea what happened to it, but it would be neat to find it and see it restored as Jazzy ran it.

pusch.jpg
    Pusch & Cain, Stuckey chassis...not sure where this is

SantaAnaDrags.jpg
    Sidewinder, Jack Chrisman, racing the Hustler II, Riverside. Art Chrisman and Frank Cannon finally retired the Hustler I, which weighted over 2,000 lbs to build this lighter version.

12244564_10153667759446328_5720045065814912677_o.jpg
    So who is tired of seeing pictures of Pure Hell?

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

29. chase knight

chase knight

I believe this is Leo Dunn's car. Regards, Chase

loudbang likes this.