Register now to get rid of these ads!

The H.A.M.B. App & Some Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The H.A.M.B. App & Some Problems

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Big Swede and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

No Worries ! It's the BEST car site on the net..

black_dog41 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Thanks for the heads-up, Boss.

Dino 64 and wicarnut like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,
    The HTTPS portion of internet security is outstanding. Thanks, Ryan. Still, some crap will still gets through. So, don't open emails or go to sites that you have no idea what it is.

The latest email scam is an official email notice that says...Your last email did not go through to the recipient. Please contact your server...with an official looking email address. It does look like ones we have all sent to a friend's old email address and had it returned. Now, that returned spam email has these evil people with nothing better to do than trying to screw up your computer and get your name on another mass, spam email list they sell to others.

But, isn't a small phone screen hurting your eyes using the app? The cure is a large 25"+ size monitor for your home computer. They cost so little these days that it is one step towards saving your old eyeballs. The old fingers fit on the huge keyboard and there are less mistakes with spell checkers and word processors. But diligence on using the internet and your computer is very important...HTTPS is a great start.

Jnaki
    Yes, some of you guys are still young and have great vision, but remember... no texting while driving...ha!

upspirate and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Seems to have been a LOT more spam posts lately....

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update - this "shitty app" still provides access to a part of the internet world like no other - please clarify what moving to https does, and do we need to use that when links are provided to other sources of information posted here?

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan would getting light speed 404 server error messages when logging in be a part of this upgrade? I noticed a guy mentioned yesterday he was having problems logging into FordBarn and viewing postings. At one point I couldn't view some postings there either although I was logged in. Today I got the 404 light speed error message when trying to log into the HAMB and couldn't get logged in. I shut down and restarted my machine and it has since cleared and I am able to log in and view content. I have it load as my homepage on my IMAC and usually it just opens up no problems.

loudbang likes this.
  8. ken bogren

ken bogren

Yeah, lots of 404s and log in issues the last couple of days for me too.

Related to this other stuff?

9. LBCD

LBCD

Cool...I use my android and was having trouble uploading pics...I figured it out...use the paper clip icon and go to "documents"...just worked a few minutes ago.

10. Well that explains the warning that I am getting from Norton.LOL

No worried here, do what ya got to do. ;)

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You are our hotrod moderating hero.
    All good for me now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    If Adobe Flash Player has anything to do with it, enabling it solved the 404 error message page about an hour ago. In Google Chrome, the 404 message kept coming on with nothing else. (life systems, etc.) After going to Settings, "Enable Adobe Flash Player," now, all sites are back on again. Firefox did not have that problem.

Jnaki
    Regardless, there is less intrusion with any https site. also, it helps to have a program like Malwarebytes on you everyday computer to do what they do best.

14. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Firefox did have the same problem..It's back up running now.. Thank you..

15. What's a HTTP? :rolleyes::D

henryj1951 likes this.
  16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I had issues all day yesterday on the app. I logged out, closed the app down and logged back in this morning. Everything seems fine now

[​IMG]
    Looks like I don't get error when posting pics anymore either

17. Squablow

Squablow

HTTP means no post.

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted.

Hello,

Most sites were HTTP until those sneaky hackers idiots kept bothering all of us. Now, most places use HTTPS. Your bank uses HTTPS because they want the most secure way to move your banking information from one page to another.

Jnaki
    Actually, it is all mumbo jumbo to 98% of us, but if the bank uses it to do web banking, then it must be safe. Again, Ryan is still trying to make this site as secure as it can be, with as little intrusions as possible. For the rest of us, if it works well, then use what ever. Keep those @^^%$#*s out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Interestingly enough, the computer is the one thing in life I really don't care about the bore, stroke, lift, duration, centerline, rpm range, gear ratio, jetting, timing, c/r, etc.

I just like it to work when I turn the key! Thanks Ryan. ;)

Hatchet, upspirate and 49ratfink like this.
  20. Jnaki , Thanks for the explanation. I still don't understand but thanks for trying.

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and Montana1 like this.
  21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

This may sound strange, but I'm glad to hear this. I thought the problem was my phone. Lol. Seriously though, it will be better once converted. Thanks for keepin us safe.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well at least the missus appreciated the HAMB being down, had time this a.m. for an overdue "honey-do".;)

23. drewbaer

drewbaer

24. drewbaer

drewbaer

Do you have a question and answer forum on this site,,looking to rebuild my 56 customline steering box but cant find the kit,,new to this site,,thanks for the add

25. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

If you run Chrome or FireFox. Download the "HTTPS Everywhere" add on. It forces a connection to the HTTPS version of any site if it is offered. Most websites that have a HTTPS connection offer the HTTP connection by default. The EFF (Electronic Freedom Foundation) is sort of a Non Political ACLU for technology freedom issues. You can also find it in the app stores. There has been a push for a few years to get all websites to use HTTPS. Just google it if you want to find out more about HTTP/HTTPS. The EFF also makes the great "Privacy Badger" add on. ;)

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

26. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

My app will only open the "trending" section, I cannot go to the actual H.A.M.B. Section and read, it just loads forever

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. For the last week I will be going from page to page, logged on, and then open a new page, and all of a sudden it says I need to log on. Kind of a pain in the ass. Sometimes happens 2 or 3 times in a session. Will any of the new fixes help this?

28. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

It 404 code ed me and so i went AROUND it by finding an old post in history and went right in.

29. I've had trouble when I select "quote" it does nothing, so I hit reply once by accident and it gave me the quote. Also having trouble loading pictures.

30. Hell Ryan, if this is shitty...... GIVE ME MORE!! By the way, I like shitty old cars too. Must be why I have so many projects and they all need work. Like everything in life, if it was easy there wouldn't be much challenge in overcoming the problems we tackle with these old cars and the satisfaction that comes when you take that long drive in something you built with your own hands. Otherwise we would love driving our Prius about as much as using our toaster!

I noticed a few glitches lately on my android phone lately but the computer was just fine. Thanks for all you do and having the brain power to figure this shit out so it works so seamlessly for us. I am always amazed at how fast your servers load up and how well they work on all the different platforms. I wish the rest of my internet experiences worked as well as your sites do. Since I'm usually on here after 10 PM I always catch a couple of spammers within a few minutes of them posting shit here and report them immediately, so I hope to do my small part to eliminate the slime.