Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mox Miller's '58 in TRJ 32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyTace, Jun 6, 2006.

1. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

This car has been haunting me since I first saw it in Andy Southard, Jr's book, Hot Rods and Customs of the the 1960's. A lame attempt at finding more about it on the internet only brought up one picture, no text. Lo and behold, there it is, in all its paneled perfection in TRJ '32. (I did find some additional pics, posted here, from the GNRS. Credit to Sean72 for those).

I don't want to ruin the article for those awaiting their copy, but Ganahls' article got me thinking. Mox was 18 when he purchased it. The list of goodies added reads like my wish list of who's who speedparts: Potvin, Halibrand, Airheart, Isky, Jahns, Vertex. The list goes on and on.

No disrespect intended, but what the hell did he do for a living? This had to be some serious cash even for 1962. He was (and still is) devoted to this beautiful car. Obviously, ever dollar he earned went into it.

In any case, it takes some big brass ones to show the restraint Mox displayed in customizing his Imp when considering how many customs of that era looked like Liberace took a dump on them. Even though the article does an adequate job, I cannot overstate how right on this car is .

As a sidenote, Mox's '58 jogged my memory and made me think of AMT's "57 Chevy Model. It had a Potvin blown 348 with sidedrafts (?). I seem to remember a phone included at one time or the other (could be wrong). I just wonder if Mox's '58 served as the inspiration.

I apologize for the long rant, but this car moves me.

Attached Files:

2. Yea... bitchen car.

In the article, it said he got a loan and had to have his parents co-sign... then he sold a car to help pay to have it modified... the process took a while, 'cause it was finished in '62.

Sam.

3. I'll say he had restraint: Twelve. hundred. effin'. miles. In 48 years.

It hasn't even been started since '62, as not to taint the chrome exhaust.

That's like being married to Jessica Alba, and having her cryogenically frozen.

4. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

No disrespect intended, but what the hell did he do for a living? This had to be some serious cash even for 1962. He was (and still is) devoted to this beautiful car. Obviously, ever dollar he earned went into it.

I thought the same thing. When I was 18, I was BROKE! My other question was, what did he drive everyday? His dad's truck is wesome as well. I would also like to know what other cars he build. Did he build this masterpiece and then stop? -Mike

5. Tom C

Tom C

The part that got me was how the car hasn't been started since the last engine rebuild. 44 years ago. :eek: Really liked the article and all the pics.

6. Mike53

Mike53

Check out Ganahals "Hot Rod"Video,its all in there.I can probably make a copy if someone wants.

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

pat ganahl put out a video about ten (or so) years ago called "pat ganahls hot rod video #1)......dont know where you could buy a copy of it, but there is a whole segment on that car with mox pulling the tarp off the car and being interviewed about it by pat ganahl,,,,the amazing thing about that car to me is that most of whats been done is just paint,,,no shaving, frenching, etc, etc....the engine compartment is all chromed if i remember correctly,,,,,the video rules,,

8. monsterflake

monsterflake

can you burn it to a dvd?

9. Mike53

Mike53

I'm awfully lo-tech when it comes to dvd's and stuff,my sister-in law has the machine to copy tapes,thats about all I can offer,sorry.

10. Muttley

Muttley

The best part of the article was where it said he drove it straight from the dealer to the muffler shop to torch the springs and ad some glasspacks. :cool: :cool: :cool:

11. sean72

sean72

dirtyTace,

I loved that '58! I was so bummed that they had it in line between other cars at the GNRS. It deserved to have a whole corner so you could see it better. After reading TRJ, I was amazed on the condition of the car for the age of the paint, interior & chrome.

I also wondered where he got the money to pay for all the work and what was his daily driver.

Sean

12. Tom C

Tom C

Hey if you make copies of the video I'd like one.

13. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Cold snatch is NOT a good thing! lol :D

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

To you guys who want a copy of Ganahl's hot rod video, why don't you just ask him? I remember he said that it was not a commercial success for him, and he probably still has copies of it.

15. Rikster

Rikster

dirtyTace,

I heard a lot about this feature in TRJ and I cant wait to see it personally, but that wont happen for several more weeks I think.

Anyway. I think that the first photo you posted of the 58 Chevy just beeing painted is actually not the MoX Miller's Chevy. the paint sceme is different. (I can only compaire it with the other two photo's you posted and the one in the Andy Southard book. The scalops on the lower side panels on this car has a light blue panel with dark blue scallops, while the Miller car has light blue scallops and dark blue panel. Also the dark blue section toward the door handle stops sooner than the one on the Miller car. So my guess is this was possebly done by the same painter (Dick Jackson) and probably inspired by the Miller car... or the way around. A gorgious paint job it is anyway.

Edited:
    Oeps I was wrong here. Thanks TwoChops for sending me teh scan showing the Mox Miller Chevy had actually two different paintjobs which I did not knoe. So the firts photo is the Mox Miller Chevy. I think I like that paint job better...

16. monsterflake

monsterflake

i would love to buy a copy from the man himself, if anybody has a contact for him, i'd like it.

also, i was just thinking, the only way i can probably get my missing issue #6 is for them to offer 5-8 in a hardbound, and -BOOM- there's the offer in the newest issue. i guess i'll have to sell #5 to afford it,though...

(i can't wait to see what "Rik Hoving" has for #33, anybody know that guy?)

:D

17. twochops

twochops

Rik Hoving is Rikster----If you like kustoms you will love this.

TWOCHOPS

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that article blew my mind. I would think he was still making payments when he stopped driving it. Did all that work and never drove it. Just kept it buried away for decades. All because he did not want to ruin the chrome..

Today we would think he was selling drugs if he bought a brand new car, barely drove it and spend about the equivalent of the cars cost (if not more) to modify it.. ..

19. It wouldn't have been a stretch back then either - it has a chrome drive shaft - how often do you see your drive shaft if you own a lowered impala. I also wonder why he rebuilt the motor if he didn't drive it and it doesn't have any miles on it. weird. cool ass car though.

20. Flatattack

Flatattack

LOL????? Fuck me , I can't get up off the floor.

You crack me up Seymour

21. Randy D

Randy D

I guess thats why I am still waiting on the second one?!?!

22. Sailor

Sailor

That car is a piece of art. And also I have a soft spot for the history. Mox Miller tells some of it in Ganahls video. Gotta dig stuff like this..

23. CruZer

CruZer

That is one of the best videos I own and the Mox Miller interview is priceless.
    Mox:" I got enough stuff to build a couple of 348's and 409's. I don't sell nuthin'. "

Not to highjack but I just finished the Rollin' Bones article by Peter Vincent about their trip to Bonne last summer. TRJ #32 has got to be the best car mag ever produced.

24. Rikster

Rikster

I found a few more photo's of the car at the GNRS. The photo's where taken by Dave Lindsay (SoCalCarCulture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Check out that PHONE!!!! - that carb adapter is cool too - I guess the huffer will suck the fuel up and through no sweat - wild stuff

26. ray

ray
    from colorado

the article in TRJ tells a lot about the car, there were more like FOUR paint jobs on it in the first four years, one paintjob Mox didn't like only lasted a week or two before he had it redone.

beautiful car it is.

27. Muttley

Muttley

How could you own something that cool and not drive it? :confused: :confused:

28. bestoutta3

bestoutta3
    from so. cal.

very old thread I found just browsing pics on the web. I'm sure by now everyone knows more of the story on this car but i'll add what I know about it just in case. I have been able to go to this man's home, invited by one of his very old friends. He actually has two of these cars. The other was his daily driver everyone was asking about. it was hit on the right side while parked in front of his parents home. That car is still parked in the space next to the show car in his garage with the dent still in it. It is also true about all the parts he has. The reason it was put in cold storage for so long was after it was finished it was taken to the cow palace show. The rules of the show changed stating the cars had to be fired up which I guess wasn't required in years past. He was so upset by this rule change and refused to damage all of the chrome so the car was put away never to be seen again until now. Other than one touch up to the paint on the roof it is all original from when it was built way back.