Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gas Tank /Battery blues 28 tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

how many gallons is that tank Gary?

2. 17 gallons.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-2171a
    Also, there's enough room beside it for a battery and- with some planning- a fuel filter & electric pump.

I haven't progressed beyond the picture you see, but my plan is to fab a steel "cage" to attach it to the body, then cover the whole assembly with an aluminum "firewall" between the back seat & the the tank.

3. Mark,
    My plan is to kinda copy these examples plucked from the HAMB.
    Hope this helps!
    258876-Img_1877.JPG choke tank 01.jpg hrdtp1081.jpg motoandys tank 02.jpg motoandys tank.jpg MP33\'s mockup.jpg olskool 01.jpg olskool 05.jpg svo\'s_tudor_01.JPG svo\'s_tudor_04.jpg svo\'s_tudor_03.JPG

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  4. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

5. I vote for under the floor battery and stock tank.

6. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I would go this route except the sedan has no fenders...I wish it did have fenders, but not sure I want to go to the work and expense putting fenders on it:(...this project was gonna be a flip, but I'm kinda getting attached to it..lol...I do have a set of fenders off of my 31 coupe...I think they would fit?...woulkd just need running boards and splash aprons...I'm pretty sure the ones off my coupe would not work on a sedan

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

For sure I'm going under the floor with the battery...thanks

8. 46international likes this.
  9. If you go with tank behind the rear seat, plan the filler install the best you can. Mine takes gas very slow and with the filler on one side, and the tank full, gas will splash out on hard acceleration. The filler is about 10" above the top of the tank and angles down the whole way don't know why I have to fill slowly. I was thinking a vent on the top center of tank or maybe a vent tube going up the filler pipe on the inside.

10. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Looks cool!!..is it safe that close to the exhaust?

11. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Yea..thats a good point..nothing worse than a slow filling tank!

12. It's safe, pipes do not get hot enough even if it spills a tad. I might raise the cap couple inches with tube to fill more fuel in, current setup prevents me topping the tank but looks better with flush cap.

13. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Subscribing.. I also have a sedan, and was wondering the same things about the tank. Mine is out of the desert, and was left open with no cap. So I'm sure my factory tank is roached out. I'm always disappointed when I see a sedan, walk up to it, and the rear seat is gone for the gas tank. Which is fine, for 98% of the folks out there I guess, but I want mine to be able to haul the wife and kids around.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... full fendered = '32 style tank... fenderless = behind and or under the rear seat...
    FYI.. tank hight, times tank width, times tank depth, devided by 231 [cubic inches per gallon] = tank's capacity by gallons...

15. shortypu

shortypu

I kind of copied Boones ideal for his sedan with a 69 mustang fuel tank. IMG_3706.JPG IMG_3768.JPG IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3787.JPG

16. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

Why don't you tuck that gas tank under there better? or is it too wide?

20150124_133957.jpg 20150202_170135.jpg you tuck that gas tank under there better?

17. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I had one in the back also but with the front seat there was no real room for a rear seat for the grandsons. Tank was from a marine application, Diesel or Fuel. Nice tapered fit but still no room.

I bought a nice stock tank and have been redoing the car this winter with that change and others so the kids can go too.

Cliff Ramsdell
    723.JPG 727.JPG 1683.JPG

18. 30-S6

30-S6

I had the same problem with no room under the car, so I cut an old air tank in half and mounted a small battery inside. As far as the fuel tank... in the back behind the seat if I had one

DSCI0159.JPG DSCI0151.JPG