Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1 HAMB friendly thing to do in SoCal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dccd, Apr 23, 2017.

1. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

Sorry for putting this under Hot Rods, but I thought I might get more replies by talking to guys with my same interests.
    I'll be flying into LA in a few weeks and will have a few hours of free time. I'd like to visit at least 1 HAMB friendly place that will give me the real SoCal car culture feel. I'm staying near LAX and renting a car, but am not familiar with the area at all. Anyone have suggestions?? I'm not really into the car museum thing and would prefer more "street". I thought about visiting Mooneyes, but I'm wondering if there is more I could see than a retail shop. Hope you guys can give me some direction on a "must see".

2. What airport are you coming in to?

3. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Peterson museum on Wiltshire, Bobs big boy cruise in Burbank on Friday Night, Donut Derelicts cruise in Huntington Beach Sat Morning, super car Sunday in Woodland Hills Sunday mornings, Hollywood hot rods shop tour, nethercutt collection, SoCal speed shop in Pomona, NHRA museum in Pomona.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I just noticed you only have a few hours, my list is more involved, sorry about that.

5. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Hollywood Hot Rods and Next door Old Crow Speed Shop. Both in Burbank. Not open on Mondays. I visited a couple weeks ago and it was AMAZING. Old Crow is strictly retro. I lost my photos or I would post them.

6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

P.S.Just a short short drive away is also H & H Flatheads, worth the trip

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

socalcarculture.com

8. What is "in a few weeks"? Depending on what drum you march to Christmas is in a few weeks. LARS is in a "few weeks" and would probably be worth making the time. How about some dates? There is a car show in Culver City (about 5 miles North of LAX) in a "few weeks" but I need to get more information before I would recommend it. To tell you where I am I can see LAX control tower from my front yard (fortunately it is in the distance).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Circle city in Anaheim, Luckys are both Hamb friendly shops.

10. Circle City is in Orange. NHRA museum is a must see in my opinion.

65pacecar likes this.
  11. cretin

cretin

Just an FYI for you guys. The move started yesterday, so Hollywood Hot Rods will no longer be next to Old Crow.
    We aren't far, just a freeway exit away, and I don't have the new address on me currently. But just be aware that it's no longer next door.

12. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

Wednesday 5/31 is when I fly into LAX. I just checked out SOCALCARCULTURE.com and see there are some cruise-ins. Noticed one at Big Boys that peeked my interest.

13. toml24

toml24

X2 for Donut Derelicts Saturday morning in Huntington Beach at Adams and Magnolia. From 5:30AM to 8:30AM Best FREE car show on the West coast! 250 vintage cars and trucks. Trust me, it's worth getting up early to see this show.

65pacecar likes this.
  14. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

15. How long are you going to be here? Pomona swap meet is June 4th.

Charlie Stephens

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Thanks for the info, so one freeway exit could be 5 minutes or 1 hour depending on traffic ;-) I've never been to your shop, do I have to call ahead to tour?

17. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

18. toml24

toml24

Here is my list I give to all visitors to Southern California:

Upon your arrival in Southern California there are a number of places to visit. They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 250 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me, it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it.

Peterson Museum. 6060 Wilshire Blvd. Outstanding Dan Gurney race car exhibit. $15 entry plus $12 parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Mighty tasty.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

jnaki and clunker like this.
  19. cretin

cretin

Haha! True, but it's usually not too bad.

You don't have to call ahead, you can just show up.

20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Thanks. Always heard it's a fun tour that's why I mentioned it above. I'll be in LA soon so I'll stop in.

cretin likes this.
  21. I second the Krispy Kremes. I basically triggered type 2 diabetes in one fell swoop, on one film that I worked on when Krispy Kreme delivered 3 dozen freshies to us every day as props, and I was in charge of props. (someone had to eat them, I wasn't going to let them go to waste...)

22. ken bogren

ken bogren

These two that Tom124 posted would be my choices

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it.

The Automobile Driving Museum is very close LAX.

65pacecar likes this.
  23. Is there anyone coming with you whose interests should be considered?

Charlie Stephens

24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Make sure to take a drive on the PCH while there, at least from Santa Monica to Oxnard, so beautiful and you will see some nice cars and hot rods out there, if you need to grab a bite Malibu Seafood, Neptunes net are good lunch spots on the pch or Dukes for supper. The Terrace in Venice is good too and you get to see a freak show on the board walk. You will see hot rods and nice cars just driving around too.

Mullholland is a great drive too. Or go to Hollywood and jump on Sunset and lv Hollywood toward the coast, you will follow the route and pass the streets Jan and Dean sing about in Deadmans curve.

"I flew past La Brea, Schwab's and Crescent Heights
    And all the Jag could see were my six taillights
    He passed me at Doheny then I started to swerve
    But I pulled her out and there we were - at Dead Man's Curve"

Bel Aire is right there and pretty fun to drive around in, so is Beverly Hills.

25. toml24

toml24

Also, every Thursday night at Irwindale Speedway is 5-hours of grudge drag racing on the 1/8 mile drag strip. It's only $10 to watch. And, every other Saturday night there is oval track racing on Irwindale's 1/2 and 1/3 mile paved track. NASCAR Late Model stocks plus several other divisions. This is a excellent facility. If you want Southern California culture do the Donut Derelict car show Saturday morning and the Irwindale races Saturday night. That is a full day!!!

65pacecar likes this.
  26. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

bumping this thread to see if anyone else has some ideas on a socal car culture must see while in LA. My trip is coming up soon and don't want to miss something if anyone has some other ideas.

27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any updates on Hollywood hot rods New location?

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope Old Crow is still open, or they found a new shop with the same old style buildings. Hollywood Hot Rods was fun to visit, look forward to seeing the new shop. The old block were both shops were is going to be leveled and become shops & condos, just what the world needs more of. Bob

29. cretin

cretin

Yup, we are still getting settled, but work has resumed. We had our first official tour in the new shop last week, a group from the Netherlands I think.

Anyway, here is our new address for anyone interested.

2617 N San Fernando Blvd.
    Burbank, CA 91504

GBhotrods likes this.
  30. cretin

cretin

Bob, Old Crow is still there. He got another place to move most of his stuff that apparently isn't going to be toured. But keeping the old building for storage and for Chris to work on his cars there.
    That shop will be there till they are required to move.