Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you the odd duck in your car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 17, 2017.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

When I was in the local "Antique Car" club I was the youngest member, so I guess I was a the odd one in the group, all the old guys are gone now, so is the club. Bob

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That is the fate of the local antique club here in town. My Dad would be disappointed that the club he was around for the founding of in 1958 almost gone. Its hard to have any interest when all they do is drive to a place to eat and nothing else.

3. 32 HROD

32 HROD

I live in a small municipality of British Columbia... Our club is unofficial, but known from the municipality... We range from purists to rat rods to billet beautiful perfect rest mods.... We are all a bunch of freaks and oddball... I like it!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kan Kustom likes this.

4. About 30 years ago we had an entire community that did not allow motorcycles. They had a small parking area at all the entrances where you had to leave them. They were trying to maintain an upper class image that never materialized. Now considered one of the least desirable places to live in the county.

BradinNC and Kan Kustom like this.
  5. Actually the cost of living does not always reflect the wages in the bay area. In some professions it does and others it doesn't.

Personally I would like to get you back here so we could play cars and motorcycles. But the truth be known if I could afford to come home I would. ;) There is no one to fault on that front but me, actually. I had a chance to buy my old warehouse cheap and passed on it because I did not want to be tied down. :oops:

OK OT

So just to get back on track, I did belong to a car club when I was in high school and I was definitely the odd duck. But I think it was the color of my hair that set me apart.

6. At one time or another I belonged to several clubs including Gun, Hunting, Model Railroading, Fishing, Metal detecting etc. but never a Car club. The one thing I noticed is that they were all passionate about their hobbies to the point where nothing else was discussed. I have friends in the car world that I enjoy BS'ing with and helping out but not sure I want to be in a club.

Montana1 likes this.
  7. Reminds me of when I joined the W.P.Chrysler Club. I was 18 years old and everyone else was near retirement age. The president of the club was showing me his wife's 1930 Plymouth roadster. I was looking at the rear fenders and one was slightly longer than the other. I asked the gentleman why he had to use a 1931 Plymouth rear fender on one side. He gasped and said, "How did you know that? Only my body guy, my wife and I know that." I said that since one fender was about an inch longer than the other one, one must be a 1931 fender. He said that I was correct and then suggested that I run for the presidency of the club. I was the president for a few years.

8. Oh yeah....another reason I am the odd duck....I have two 1931 Dodges.

Alaska Jim likes this.
  9. I think if I was ever going to join a car club it would be the Vintage Motor Car Club of America (VMCCA). These guys do tours all around the country and actually drive their cars. I know a few guys that are members and they really enjoy it. It's not a "traditional hotrod" club but it's way cool.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31Dodger likes this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think we as traditional rodders and customizers are the minority of the automotive hobby. That said, I don't miss the club days at all. I still have my friends but I don't have obligations to anyone but myself

40FORDPU and Montana1 like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was in a small club a few years back. A mix of all kinds of cars....and people, some better than others on both counts. I stuck out a bit because I was a Ford guy, they mostly had Chevys. But like most clubs, it died, and I'd say for the same reason most clubs die......money. Some people got greedy with the clubs funds, got caught at it, and it went to pot. Thing about it, there never were any dues, all the money was donations and funds raised by various means.
    Now, I go to a certain club's cruise in's, but I'm not a member and probably won't ever be. I help them out from time to time, they seem to be good folks from the outside looking in. I enjoy being around them without the hassle of going to meetings and paying dues....

12. The HAMB is the only "club" I'm currently a member of.
    ...and I fit right in with you guys. :cool:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

No Im just an "Odd Duck" period

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

No club just an odd duck.

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I've always been the "odd Duck" in every organization I've ever belonged to or been a part of.

16. No Club / Lone Duck!
    [​IMG]

Montana1, Alaska Jim and wicarnut like this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Odd Danny :confused:, I'm the president and only member, wait a second and I'll ask......no, no odd ducks here. :D

18. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I was going to sat that! It's my favorite Quote!

19. Blown35

Blown35

As a matter of fact - yes I am a round peg in a square hole - to wit ... In the Early Ford V8 Club of America my 35 3 Window is excluded from the main "Concourse" field because I have a later 1948 Flathead with a SCoT Blower - but to be fair - they do have a special "Touring" class so I am happy and content with that for sure. On the other side of the coin - when I attend local rod events mine is often overlooked at first pass by the masses that are attracted to the blitz and bling of the more wild machines including rat rods and lots of billet rods. But .... No complaints at all ... There is enough room for all in the get-attachment-1.jpg sandbox to play!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    olscrounger, Pufff, 40FORDPU and 2 others like this.
  20. Man, I love that '35 3-window! ;)

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, that primer black, 49-54 Chevrolet Coupe would be the odd duck with those ugly wheels! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I think Milner said..."File that ticket under...CS.."

23. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Does being "An Old Fart" count toward the Odd Duck Society?

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Aviary+Photo_130498867825962312.png Like every other guy on this site, I wanna be....

Revived 265 likes this.