Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Single Stage Paint- TIPS PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miki562, Apr 8, 2017.

1. miki562

miki562

Hey all! So far I've been getting alot of awesome help from everyone here so I'll just make a habit of asking for help here now... I bought single Stage Paint from Hot Rod Flatz and I'd like to know what kind of gun/compressor you recommend? I know there's better methods and I know there's 100 different ways to skin this cat but unfortunately I jumped the gun and bought a gallon of the stuff so now I have to use it... PLEASE HELP!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Waterboychuck

Waterboychuck

What size tip does the instructions on your paint say? If it calls for a 1.3 nozzle than you can look around for a gun that has that size tip, however, if your car is like the photo you'll have to put down an epoxy primer first and that should call for a different size nozzle. Since you live in Long Beach you might want to try TCP global in San Diego. They offer lots of different price range guns. I bought a starting line and a finish line gun from them and both work just fine.

If you can borrow a two stage compressor that you be the way to go otherwise a home garage type compressor will be on most of the time.

miki562 likes this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 10 HP 200 gal air system and shoot with a $400 Iwata HVLP. Does that help?:D:D:D

Seriously, the bigger the air supply the less moisture you'll get in the lines. As far as guns, the best you can afford. You may get hooked on painting (some do), you may hate it (I do). Craigslist is a good source if you know spray guns, or have pal that does. Many love the Harbor Fright guns which are price friendly (yes, I meant to say fright). Since you're doing flat figur to get it covered, let it dry fully, sand it very lightly to level it, apply 1 real even and loving coat to the whole car. That should help you avoid stripes of flat/semi-flat/gloss due to mil thickness variations. It happens. If you do have a knowledgable pal in the paint game that doesn't take this shit too serious it's likely the best help.

4. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Hot Rod Flatz is pretty forgiving to shoot. I used a Wally World HVLP and it went on just fine. Really easy to use with no problems. I had a large mosquito back stroke on the hood with it was wet, let it dry for about 30 minutes, sanded the bad spot. Re-shot just that area, and blended with no problem.

5. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

When your ready to shoot make sure that you have everything you own covered, I didn't and when I was done every thing in my 1000 sf shop was red even the wall phone, I had wrapped the engine compartment really good but the paint had got to it too

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. miki562

miki562

[​IMG]

I took your advice and went straight to TCP to ask what they recommended. I got me a 1.8 tip HVLP gun that will hopefully do the trick! Now, I can't get a hold of a 2 stage so what garage PSI compressor do you recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Bought a nice 1963 Kellog-American two stage, 2 hp on CL for $450.
    Best money I've spent except for one problem...
    can't figure out where the water in the air lines went?
    :D:):):)