Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So, I made a 750 mile road trip in the Produce truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

IMG_6116.JPG IMG_6120.JPG IMG_6121.JPG IMG_6199.JPG So, we left out for the 4th annual SWMO Hot Rod Hundred in Springfield, MO Friday morning. The Produce truck did great. As with every build, you find things you want to fix, which I did. I had a few, but one was odd.

We kept feeling like a heater was running in the cab. I was feeling of the floor, the firewall etc and I couldn't figure it out.

I finally found out that it was coming from the seat riser? It was blowing out o the backs of our legs around the tray I built. I saw a small gap around the wiring harness that I will caulk, but other than that I can't figure out why this thing felt like a radiator. I'm gonna hafta do some engineering to build some sort of heat shield or something. It was about a 30 degree difference between outside ambient temp and the air coming out of the riser.

Here is a pic of the bottom side.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-legrange-produce-tribute-truck-build.936696/page-6

And another of the construction.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-legrange-produce-tribute-truck-build.936696/page-4

I am thinking of building a deflector that will screw onto the hole in the bottom where the sender used to be mounted.
    We used Fat Mat on the inside and we sprayed the entire ting with bed liner material.

This would have made the trip way better.

Anyone ever had this happen?

Just to not sound like a whiny post, here are some pics of the truck at our B&B. It was our 27th anniversary, so Mama Root was being a trooper, so I figured we should splurge!

LOU WELLS, FlyFisher, Boryca and 10 others like this.
  2. Fedman

Fedman

Great looking Truck!
    Side Mounted Spare and Racks give it a very Cool Personality! :)
    Congrats!

Roothawg likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool truck - "Hot Rod" - heat from exhaust system?

loudbang and Roothawg like this.

4. I love that truck,it looks like a good driver. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I do know one thing. The 55 is getting a road gear after this trip. Overdrive is the best! 75-80 at 2200.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I purposely routed the mufflers further back to keep from having them under the seat. I think that is a large part of it. I think it's 80% engine heat with no where to go except under the cab.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Fedman

Fedman

80 MPH in that Little Cab? LOL.....
    You must be a Drag Racer! :D

8. BJR

BJR

Here in Wisconsin that would be a benefit having hot air on the backs of your legs.

loudbang, Max Gearhead and Roothawg like this.
  9. studebaker46

studebaker46

I think you might be onto something about og sender hole a hole the size of a pencil feels like a furnace blowing just my opinion Tom

loudbang likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

When I opened the drawer, it literally felt like it had a blower.

loudbang likes this.
  11. That little truck turned out great!

12. atch

atch

Love the truck; turned out way better than even I envisioned.

[​IMG]
    You and Bret have a pair of really cool trucks. I hope that Clarence someday will compared favorably with them.

loudbang and Max Gearhead like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

It is amazing how much air can move through a very small hole at speed. The fact that the air can only escape the box from under the seat means that is where the air will move to. If your truck windows are down, the air passing by your windows creates a vacuum effect and pulls air from everywhere into the cab so it can exit through the windows. Your downfall is when the truck is running and has stopped moving, heat rises, the hot air fills the box, and when you start moving, it comes out from under the seat.

The only way you will solve that hot air draft is by sealing all the holes in the cab floor, and creating a location where cooler air might be drawn from, or close the windows and turn on the AC. All modern cars pull the only fresh air into the vehicle at the cowl. Everything else is sealed off.
    If you can add a cowl vent that dumps at the floor, and have your windows open, you can pull outside temprature air into the car all day. To a degree, you limit how much outside air comes into the cab, by closing off the air intake duct work, or diverting that incoming air into an AC box. Without AC, the problem then depends on how warm the outside air becomes. My coupe, without AC, is actually pretty comfortable to ride in until the outside temp gets in the upper 80s, as long as the car is moving. Gene

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I appreciate it.

loudbang likes this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Good to hear that this is the only major problem on this nice long road test. :)

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

well, the last 125 miles the temp gauge pegged and would fluctuate between 185-250. I would slow down to 40 mph and it would drop back within 2 minutes. I think I have a sender going bad. The fan was cycling on and off and if the temp was really that hot, it would have been boiling over. We limped it home, since I wasn't positive, I didn't wanna chance it.

loudbang likes this.
  17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I can not believe that we were both there and I did not see you to say hello. The truck looks great.

John

Roothawg likes this.
  18. belair

belair

Looks great. You'll get it sorted out.

Roothawg likes this.
  19. Glad to hear your test ride to the show turned out great!!!!Bruce.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I saw your brother, didn't see you.

21. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Great to visit. Your truck sure turned out sweet. I like the short video of you on I-44 that Dan posted on facebook.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks, I had no idea he was filming.....