Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "The Micah James Special"- Let's build a '32 Ford with a 3 year old!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sutton Speed, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Well... It's been quite a while since I've posted a build thread up on the ole Hokey Ass Message Board so here goes...

The Backstory…

So in the summer of 2013 my wife and I found out we were expecting our first child and I decided it was time to part with the '36 Ford coupe I had recently finished in favor of a Hot Rod with a backseat. I was originally thinking a '32 tudor but after realizing it was just too far out of reach price wise, I settled on a '32 Fordor sedan. I was fortunate enough to find a neat little runner that with just a few subtle changes, I was able to turn into the perfect little traditional family hauler. My now 3 year old son Micah absolutely loves "HIS" Hot Rod and the sedan has basically become part of the family.

Now the Fordor is a great family hauler and all but cruising around with my buddies in their coupes and roadsters I just kinda feel like the guy in the Hot Rod minivan. The Fordor is here to stay but it's time to build a real Hot Rod, something without a backseat. Enter, "The Micah James Special".

The Fordor...

0.jpg

So the plan is for this to be somewhat of a long term project. Something to tinker on in the garage with the little guy and do at my own pace, with the “right” parts, as money and time allow. Every car I’ve ever built I feel there has been one aspect or another of the build I’ve had to rush. Whether it was time, money, or the rush to just have a running hot rod on the road that was holding me back, I always feel like there was a corner I had to cut somewhere. I want this project to be different. I want to take my time, use the right parts within reason, learn as much as I can and just be able to spend some quality time in the garage with my son.

1.jpg

The Build…

So a while back I started talking with Gary Maxwell at Blackboard Hot Rods about building me a ’32 frame. Gary used to work with Squeak Bell over at Kiwi Konnections and builds a killer ’32 chassis. Anyways, 6 months ago I finally drug a ’46 X member and pedals I’ve been hanging onto for years and some model a crossmembers up to Gary and we laid out the groundwork for a killer ’32 chassis. Gary did an absolutely amazing job and I couldn’t be happier!

On the frame jig at Gary's...
    3.jpg

IMG_1235.JPG

The remainder of the parts I’ve collected over the years are as follows:

Up front will be a ’32 Ford heavy axle dropped by Anson axles, ’34 split wishbones with Cory Taulbert bungs and early tie rod ends and a posies rolled and tapered spring. Out back will be a ’40 banjo rearend hung on a model a rear spring and will eventually get some custom ladder bars using ’36 radius rods. Brakes are ’40 Ford all around and will get the Brian Bass Bendix conversion. Wheels are 16x4 and 4.5 and will get Firestone Blackwalls with '48 Merc caps. Steering will be a ‘56 F100 box. The plan for now is to get the car to a roller state and then figure out some of the fabrication aspects like the rear ladder bars and steering box setup. Motor will be early Caddy with a 5 speed. Body… Well I’m not quite sure yet. Hopefully a '32 5 window but possibly a roadster, we’ll see. I know, I know, that's kind of an important decision on a build. ;)

So a few weeks ago I rounded up all the parts and headed to the sandblaster to get everything cleaned up so I could get some epoxy primer on.

4.jpg

5.JPG

There's just something about freshly sandblasted early Ford parts and the detail it brings out...

11.JPG

12.JPG
    13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG
    16.JPG

17.JPG
    10.JPG

7.JPG
    8.JPG

18.JPG
    19.JPG

20.JPG

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    ls1yj, HEMI32, 120mm and 16 others like this.
  2. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    ls1yj, HEMI32, Denns1989 and 19 others like this.
  3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lusted after your '36. When I saw your coupe in the classifieds a few years ago I penciled out a dozen different scenarios where I could end up with the car but I just couldn't make any of them work. I even saved some of your photos and use them for wallpaper on my computer from time to time.

Knowing how sanitary your coupe was I am subscribing to this thread and totally looking forward to see your new car, whatever it turns out to be, come together.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Watching.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is going to be GREAT! You are far more organized than I am, but we share the same interest in the fine details of Ford parts. My grandson is helping with my '29, hope he learns electrical stuff so he can wire it when it comes to that point. Bob

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. mason-d

mason-d
    from san diego

Yes! Raising our boys around hot rods together is going to be great

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. that's a great start, very cool

8. Gonna be a cool chassis when built, looking forward to updates. Gary's building my chassis right now, can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Very kool, Looks like the kid is digging it. My boys at that age where by my side but now that they are older they couldnt give a shit.

10. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure like your mini-van!

11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a good little helper there, enjoy !

12. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

13. Retroline

Retroline

Looks great, will be watching this..

14. First I want to compliment you on the mordor,I have owned 2 of them and yours is a good looking car.

I have a tudor & fordor in the garage .

The frame is looking good and like all the other members I'm looking forward to following the build. HRP

15. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

It's definitely a fun car. Appreciate the kind words.

16. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

17. Shit man I love the 4 door deuce.....ya don't need to feel out of place when driving it as it is very cool and a hot rod!

ghornbostel likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really like your paint booth, any reaction from the neighbors? Bob

19. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Paint didn't seem to smell too much and overspray was pretty minimal. I've got pretty cool neighbors though.

The37Kid likes this.
  20. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Super thread. Super Dad...Super read. Oh, and I LOVE '32 Fordors.

22. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

This is awesome! Gonna definitely be watching this one!

23. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

We've got a roller!

So last week I was able to get the rear hubs and bearings all greased up and assembled and moved onto the rear spring. These model a rear springs are always a bit of a chore to get together without a spreader and without killing yourself but with the help of a few C clamps, we finally got it on.

1.jpg

My helper tightening the U bolts.
    2.JPG

3.JPG

Pretty stoked to get the rear all together and finally get to roll it out into the daylight.

4.JPG

5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Next on the list will be figuring out the rear radius rods and panhard bar. Stay tuned...

24. Killer start. Gary is a baller, I really like the late X-member.

Sutton Speed likes this.
  25. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

This is fantastic! I plan on doing this with my little nephew when he gets a little older. I have a 58 Chevy pickup with his name on it for when he turns 16.

Subscribed!

26. Sweet build in every way! Looking forward to following along.

27. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Yeah Gary was a good dude to work with, definitely worth the LONG wait. ;) I've always liked the look of the 40's x-members in '32 frames and with a little bending will be able to use the stock pedals which is always nice.