Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Needed Cutting Flat Glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Chad s

Chad s

I remember a while ago someone here posted a tech on cutting glass (I think it was curved) with some sort of cutting disk on an angle grinder. I have the patterns made for the glass for my chopped 47, and want to cut down the windows without having to pay a glass shop to do it if I dont have too. Its flat glass, but the lines are curved, so I dont think a standard glass glass scoring tool will work. The windshield I have is a newer laminated saftey glass. Tried searching for the old post, but cant find it. Anyone have any tips?

2. Some people have used a diamond wheel in a wet saw for safety glass.

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

I cut my windshield with a cut-off wheel. Just go very lightly and score the glass on both sides... my wife kept squirting water on the glass as I went along to keep it cool. Once scored, pour alcohol on the score, light it, and break the glass away. The burning alcohol will melt the laminate in the middle.

I had to smooth the edge with a Roloc disc, but it came out fine - just took a while.

4. Hickey

Hickey

After the flame goes out, use a razor blade to cut through the softened resin. (the plastic in the middle)

5. Gumpa

Gumpa

Ok to cut plastic laminated glass (Saftey Glass) first go to a glass shop and see if you can pick up a couple scrap pieces.
    You are actually going to do a controled break not cut. Get a NEW roller (Glass Cutter) and soak it in WD-40 for a few minutes. Now mark your line with a pattern on the glass with a sharpie or other marker so that the lines on both sides are identical. Next with firm presure (NOT HARD) score the glass on one side. NEVER GO OVER IT TWICE. Then do the same on the other side. Now is the part that messes every body up lay a dowel or similar item full length of the glass and AT LEAST 1 INCH BACK AWAY FROM YOU ON THE BIGGEST PART OF THE GLASS. and drop the glass or press down on both sides with just enough pressure to break one side. Then turn it over and do the same thing again. Now here is the scarry part. Take a can of Lighter fluid (Ronsonol or Zippo) and cover the crack in the glass and light it. go smoke a cigarette or something for a few minutes then come back and do it again. This time when the fire goes out on it's own bend the glass enough to stretch the plastic far enough to cut with a razor blade. Then use your sander and sand the edge with a very light sand paper and some water or WD-40 to get the burs and rough edges off. Much faster and much safer for your glass than using a carborendum disc on it. Gumpa

6. Chad s

Chad s

Thanks. I have seen this done for straight lines, but will it work for a slightly curved line? For the rounded edges (its a 47 ford), would I just do lots of small straight cuts to rough it out, and sand it smooth? Can I use pliers to break the scored lines on the small cuts around the radius?

7. Gumpa

Gumpa

Certainly cutting a curve in saftey glass isn't any different than flat glass and making multiple strait cuts and sanding it down is always better. Mike

8. Gumpa

Gumpa

If you are going to use pliers to break it use eagle claws or channel locks. and wrap tape around the tips to avoid chips. Mike

9. Gumpa

Gumpa

10. Custom54

Custom54

Great thread and thanks for the info Mike, I will be doing this myself in a few weeks.

11. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Right on BLAKE! Any wife that gets out and helps her man with his ride is a keeper in my book!....

12. Creature13

Creature13

I am looking to use this grinder/water method to cut 2" off the top of a laminated windshield. Does this method work if done gently enough and with water to cool? Thanks!

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

14. Cymro

Cymro

Use glass pliers these are made for the job are fairly inexpensive and are excellent for flanging panels as well.
    [​IMG] found some new ones at an autojumble last year Quality Lucas Elliot items only £4 a pair, most of the tool dealers had them, must be old stock?

15. WxnJxn

WxnJxn

lay the glass on a pattern you made of the glass size, line up two straight sides,put oil on the pattern lines,use a glass cutter to follow the lines,on 1 side. now tap the glass from the opposite side. turn the glass over ,now follow the cut line on this side,. tap from other side ,now the glass is cut . pour a little liter fluid in the crack,move can away lite fluid on the glass. let it burn out completely,squirt on the crack, it will melt the plastic between the glass. it will fall off. now you need to polish the glass. use a grinder with about 180 wet sand paper,with plenty of water to cool the glass. good luck.........