Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1953 belair exhaust vs 1950 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik

I found a great deal on a like new exhaust from a 50 coupe for my 53. 20 bucks! My question is will it fit or will it need more mods than it is worth. My 53 is a powerglide car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

3. High5

High5

Is this a single exhaust system? Complete with muffler?

The frames for '49-'54 Chevy's were essentially the same (except convertible). That said, the engine mounts on a '53 were to side of the engine whereas on a '50 Chevy they were a foot mount (located to the front of the engine). I am not sure whether the exhaust manifold outlet was positioned exactly the same. If it is a single exhaust then the transmission should not be a problem. If it's a split (or dual exhaust) then the crossover pipe may interfere.

At $20, you are bucks ahead even if you need to modify the header pipe. Just my 2 cents.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might have a clearance problem or two but I am prett sure it will fit. Back when I was in high school there was a split manifold and dual exhaust setup for six banger Chevys of those years floating around town that ended up on a 52 then a 54 and then on a 50 hardtop I ended up with and I think a couple of others in between as each guy who bought them or traded for them got a "fix it" ticket for loud pipes and they were hell for loud but really sounded sweet. I ended up breaking a piston in the hardtop and sold it not long after to someone who put a 235 in it. One of those cars I sure wish I had back now.