Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lower door skins for 1930 Briggs Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sauterindy, Apr 4, 2017.

1. sauterindy

sauterindy

Having trouble finding right size door skins. I've ordered from Mxx's but what I received was an inch short on front door width (26 5/8 vs. 27 5/8). Lots of variations so tried to get customer service to check stock but never heard back and they just responded out of stock. Tried another place in Sacramento and their source is out of business so probably same source is my guess. Anyway ordered again from Mxx's and probably received the same set I had earlier returned. Since I got no where before I thought I'd ask for some help here. Really just want to confirm other 1930 fordor sedans (Briggs) are in fact about 27 5/8 wide at the bottom, which would confirm they sent me the wrong panels (maybe the Murray is narrower?). The second question is does anyone have a source they could share? I'm hanging on to the narrower ones for now in case I decide to split it and weld a strip in the middle to get right width, not what I want to do though. thanks for any help.

2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Does the 30 Tudor have the same shape bump?

If so, the 30 Tudor has a longer door. I used the 30 door patch panels 25+ years ago to extend the hood sides on the car to the left which has a 28-29 Murray (Briggs?) cowl.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I bought [2] 20" tall door skins from snyds, compound curved, very good skin... but the lower reveal is unlike anything I had around...
    [I bought 2 more skins [4] total, cut them and made matching coupe cowl, door and quarter lower reveals all around]...
    the '30-'31 tudor doors are 29.5" at the beltline... coupe 27.5" at the belt... both are all steel, no wood...
    the new skin's gauge is thicker... much harder to bend...
    I couldn't "fold" the jams tight enough to look good...
    For the other door I cut the flange off the A pillar side, measured and cut the B pillar side,
    I left an extra 1/8" on both of the skin's edges, half that melts into the weld like filler when welding the skin to the jams...
    It fit tighter than folding and hammering the flange...
    3" belt sander, a flapper wheel and a file to make the edges straight...
    with this method you could skin almost any A door with a ........ 29.5" tudor / pick up skin... $74. ea.
    not the vicky or the A- 400, they had very long doors...
    pic of the patched cowl, quarter and the "folded" door skin, seems too THICK...
    srtr, tan scoop 010.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. sauterindy

sauterindy

Yea the 30 Tudor sounds like it might be a good possibility. The patch panels as received have the flanges and curvature that would make them a snap to put in place so would still like to confirm what width others might measure on their 30 Fordor Briggs Sedan. My fabrication skills are limited so something more complicated than a single cut to narrow or expand is something I hope to avoid. thanks

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Are your doors wooden inside ? ...
    the all steel 1930 fordor doors interchange with '30 -'31 coupe and sport coupes...like tudor and truck do...
    different body builders may have done there own thing...
    some fordors may be shorter to give room for the B pillar to be exposed and or for both front and rear doors to open at the same time...
    note the circular indents on the coupe's inner panel, thats where the fordor's window regulator would mount.
    .... Most patch panels do not have compound curves stamped in as they are often made with a break and a bead roller... the 20" tall skins were STAMPED and have the compound curve..
    .you can cut them high enough to fix the "rust through"+ "rust PITS", and they fit...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. sauterindy

sauterindy

It does have the wood frame and no compound curve to the bottom part of the door. The patch panel was only 6 inches tall which was more than what I needed. Guess I'm really looking for alternate sources for patch panel and/or cross reference on the various doors used on Model A. Roller or bend brake is not something I have access to although been looking (something worth owning).