Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Eaton supercharger conversion to top carb mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hmmm . . . welding on an already machined case . . . not for me boys. I am sure that the case moved all over the place, so I'd be very suspect that the case bore is no longer actually round. Given this, the rotor to case clearances and therefore sealing - are probably not what they should be. Just a guess . . . but I'd never use that approach.

D

rmcroadster likes this.
  2. My thoughts as well. But I would not rule out making the attachment with a mess of epoxy.

turboroadster likes this.
  3. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Sorry, BadgeZ28, my bad. I've always thought of the Eaton as a "screw" type and the older, GM style as being the "roots" type.

4. barbich'tourneur

barbich'tourneur

hi! this 's
    hi! revkev6!!engine 8 BA , pistons ARIAS FORGES, H-beam scat, camshaft ISKY 400JR, engine flywheel ALUMINIUM,magneto HUNT,compression for engine 7,8 ,for the ration pulley ,i don t know because I do a test with the pulley that I had here, it was the same diameter that the pulley of superchargeur jaguar and it was ok!!!
    actually when I welded it is slightly deformed, I took this risk because this compressor was not expensive, $ 350, price of a new kit $ 4000 !!! it was a lot of work hours but it works really well!!!sorry for the translation but I am French and the frenchies know not speaking english

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Jerry Magnuson was a good friend and customer since the late 1970's and when I was building my roadster he suggested using one of his blower packages . He used my engine , a GM fastburn 385 w/ vortec heads to develop the system in the photos . I don't really know any of the specific models that he used , but as I stated it has been a reliable and fun car to drive . The photos show it as when I got it back from Jerry and how it look in the car today . View attachment 3461166 View attachment 3461167 View attachment 3461168 View attachment 3461169

loudbang likes this.
  6. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5129.JPG
    Jerry Magnuson was a good friend and customer since the late 1970's . When I was building my roadster he suggested using one of his blower packages . Not being much of a gearhead I was a little hesitant but having known Jerry for over 40 years I decided to let him use my engine to develop a system for my GM fastburn 385 crate engine w/ vortec heads . I don't know what specific model he used but I do know that it's been reliable and gets good mileage on my road trips . The photos show it as I got it from Jerry and how it is today .

7. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Here is what I did to my supercharger. Careful welding caused only a couple of thousands pull in, easly cleaned up with fine emery. Running a Q-jet from 79 supercharged Buick. Holes in throttle plate for idle air and away we go. The thing goes like hell and gets great gas mileage. I've been driving it around for 3 years and no trouble. 4 lbs. boost 16-18MPG SUPER CH 9a.jpg SUPER CH 14a.jpg supercharged.jpg

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Looks like a functional unit with all the modern stuff. Does the bypass work well?

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

The bypass works very well. I cruise with 16-18 inches of vacuum. The machine is very nice to drive considering all that's been done to the engine. porting, 1.6 intake and .425 lift cam. Idles easy at 600rpm. Just a real sweet ride. Time fly's, I've actually been driving this thing around for closer to 6 years.

turboroadster, loudbang and BradinNC like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I've got one of these to play with,but I can't get the pulley off the front no matter what I've tryed so far,so gussing I got to cut the thing off? I want to put twinV-belt one on.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I tryed one just like it,only broke the lip off pulley and next time broke foot off one arm

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Mgb and dana barlow like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or try the 3-jaw puller, and a little heat on the center of the pulley, while it is under the tension of the puller.

If that does not work, rent this:
    [​IMG]
    It's a bearing splitter.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    dana barlow likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,don't have ether of those better ones. I don't need to save the stock pulley that is on it anyway,i'll cut it off.

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Go to autozone and borrow the bearing splitter. It's free. You give them a credit card to pay for it and then they reimburse the card when you bring it back within 90 days I think... I do this for a jobs that I use the tool maybe once every 5 years lol...

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. bob cutler

bob cutler

A friend of mine just got this one done for my sbc, way cool! 003.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Is it an optical thing that it doesn't look parallel to center line of crank?

turboroadster and loudbang like this.
  19. 55chevr

55chevr

Looks like it is mounted on a 4 barrel intake ... that is why it is slanted forward.

20. 55chevr

55chevr

There is a lot of innovation in this installation. I would only be concerned that the shaft of the blower and the crankshaft are off a few degrees. Vee belts might climb off. But worth a try. Could shim the base with a wedge if that happens

21. bob cutler

bob cutler

When he built this it was on his test engine, same brand of intake but for some reason this one has a slight tilt, any problems with it and he will mill down the adapter plate, the snout on the m90 is not center it is off to the drivers side, need to get everything hooked up and dialed in.

loudbang likes this.
  22. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

For what its worth, I drive a 2002 Lightning every day. Will make 10 pounds of boost with stock pulleys.

loudbang likes this.
  23. If it is a rear inlet it is because it is a dry super charger and the inlet is for a throttle body. You need to keep that in mind when you are setting up. Dry super chargers are not set up for a draw through application and it will need different clearances as a rule.

loudbang likes this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Didn't know that..Makes sense..

25. Turbos are set up the same way, blow threw are set up to run dry and draw through are set up to run wet.

loudbang likes this.
  26. bob cutler

bob cutler

This is not the first one he has built, he has changed what was needed.

BradinNC and loudbang like this.
  27. And no one else will ever read this thread.

28. bob cutler

bob cutler

Didn't mean to offend you but was just making a answer to your statement about setup

loudbang likes this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks small for a V8

30. The shaft should be parallel with the crack, at least by all practical knowledge. A single V belt is likely to slip, he'll an 8 groove with 3/4 wrap and tensioner will slip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.