Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Wow! I've been crazy busy so I've kind of followed along on Instagram but just spent some work time catching up on this thread. The car looks great. You've knocked it out of the park. Can't wait to see it in person. I guess that will be SIM.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  2. jim snow

jim snow

Looks great Tony. Congrats.Snowman

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. If you need any touch-ups I know a girl

IMG_1802.JPG

4. Your Dodge was bad ass before paint. Now it's even better, sure to be a crowd pleaser.

powrshftr, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  5. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

The local track had the season opener today and was handing out copies of the July 2017 Drag Racing Edge magazine. When I got home was leafing through and on page 12 under News & Notes is the title "Gassers Pack The House". It was a great little write up about the 2016 SEG Finals at Greer. No mention of Quick & Dirty, Tony. Sorry. But great to see the press for you guys!

I can smell the midnight oil burning from these SEG builds all the way up here!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  6. Hope we don't need touch ups :rolleyes: but glad you have talent on hand

Oh man I haven't seen that one! We are burning the late night oil here - early mornings too. Its looking good right now :)

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is gonna be good!

8. Just one snag now - came up light o_O
    IMG_4690.JPG

Found a club member to solve that

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

catdad49, Mtn Goat, powrshftr and 9 others like this.
  9. glrbird

glrbird

Just a general question, are those wheel weight number right? why so light on the right rear? Car really turned great, good luck.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

loudbang likes this.
  11. Thanks glrbird ! Me and Tim are wondering about that also. He's gonna set it up again and look at the display again. Seems like the frame would need to be bent or the leaf spring is hanging up in the slider? I did lower the rear leaf mounting points.

I have a flak jacket for those pesky rod bolts :D

powrshftr, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  12. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

New meaning to "Fire in the hole!"

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony as an old oval dirt track racer, and before that a pit crew member for an asphalt car, I feel I qualify to say that it doesn't require frame tweaking, just some suspension adjustments assuming these readings were obtained properly and accurately. Nice scales, never had access to anything much better than old feed store scales!
    Notice the high weights and the low weights match each other diagonally. That is the high rf is diagonal to the high lr and the low lf is diagonal to the low rr. If this proves to be accurate when you switch pads side to side or however you can do a double check, then suspension jacking can/will solve the problem.
    you have an enviable situation of being too light, as you can put that to work for you to get the response off the line you ,need by your positioning of ballast.:D

14. I figured a dirt track guy would know what to do! So last night I stood in the trunk and jumped up and down - like a rock o_O I climed under the car to see what the shock dials were set on and saw the panhard bar was laying on the rear housing :eek: . When I lowered the car, the panhard must have been close already. Lucky for me I had 2 more adjustment holes in the upright bracket. Now the rear suspension moves again :D

Damn I need a crew chief .....

catdad49, powrshftr, cs39ford and 3 others like this.
  15. Hey wait - it says crew chief right above the passenger door .....

IMG_4713.JPG

16. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I like the T shirt in the photo!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  17. captmullette

captmullette

very, very nice......nailed it tony........

Dog_Patch likes this.
  18. glrbird

glrbird

You could put jack stands on the frame and see how the rear end hangs without weight, see if it is binding or hanging uneven. The cross weight from LR to RF could also be the problem on the right front. The Blue paint makes it look a lot smaller in the photo.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony has since stated here that the panhard bar was hitting the rear housing, and hasn't reported on weights since he found that, although you can be certain it changes things.
    Guess admiring the paint and posters distracted you from that;)

loudbang likes this.
  20. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

This machine came out great. Big difference from the two different colored fenders. Can't wait to get some color on mine. Good work.

21. glrbird

glrbird

Thanks DOM, I total missed that.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Maybe the guys at the track will have the 4 corner scales. The ones we used were Tim's and he's almost 2 hours away :(

23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Mine are here ? I know that times short but just saying

loudbang likes this.
  24. Well I didn't really think about that .... I might take you up on it. See how time goes - I'm busy adding 80 pounds to the trunk in the form of batteries :rolleyes:

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony, if you can find the time to get over to Joe's place and put Q&D on his scales it will be worth ot in keeping things going straight. What are SEG rules about ballast? We used to bolt surplus ammo boxes to the frame and add or remove billets of plumber's lead as required.

26. glrbird

glrbird

I think for safety, it is to be bolted down, don't want loose lead becoming shrapnel if you get upside down, NHRA requirement

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When it's in an ammo box with the lid latched it isn't loose, but things have changed since 40 years ago:)

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I don't think Quain will have a problem with what you use for weight as long as it is secured . He may have a problem if you strapped a fat girl in the trunk. Just saying.
    We cut the top out of a Firebird gas tank before fuel cells and built a tray and poured it full of lead.
    Went from being a field filler in F/Gas to winning races in G/Gas. NHRA never suspected a thing .Ran through tech at the Sportsnationals in Bowling Green. Nobody even questioned why we had 4 gas tank straps instead of 2.

29. Plan is to weigh in and see if I need this 25 pound plate. I forgot that stack injection gets 150 pound weight break so it's right on the number. The plate might come out
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app