Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical It's 2017,does anyone still use a 6 volt system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 28, 2017.

1. I have been converting all my 6 volts cars over to 12 volt for the last 50 years. HRP

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

3. Care to elaborate? HRP

4. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I ran a 6V for 25 years in a '40 Plymouth Woodie. The car was all original with the cloth covered wires. Since it always worked I never changed to 12V . They are very sensitive to having a good ground and respond well to the biggest copper cables you can find. Also most manufactures upgraded in the '50's to high torque starters with an extra field winding. Once I did those tricks plus adding A 6V alternator was the final improvement that really made it crank over fast and dependable.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I wouldn't convert a 6 volt vehicle back from a 12 volt conversion, but if I had an original 6 volt system I'd want to make it work as advertised.

Half the fun is just learning obsolete tech on that stuff, also watching people twist themselves into logic knots when they look under the hood. For example: "Oh, you need to get rid of that Generator......" Really! Why?

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My neighbor has an old ford 8n tractor, it is still 6 volt but he jumps it with 12 volts to start it. I don't think it's because it's 6 volt, it's because it's a wore out B---h.:D Lippy (who is also wore out).

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

My 1951 Henry J works PERFECTLY as intended / BUILT...
    6-Volt.

8. Squablow

Squablow

My T has 6V in it, wouldn't be historically accurate without it. But I'd bet most engine-swapped cars built in the later 50's and after had a conversion to 12V. Depends on what period you're going for, I guess.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Our 51 restored Buick Roadmaster is 6 volt, found halengen 6 volt headlight and taillight bulbs, very bright, work great ! Keeping car original.

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Still have a 6V system in my stock Model A....just because :D

9-11-11.jpg

11. e z i

e z i

My 48 still has six volts running thru it's wires.. IMAG0514_1_1.jpg

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '37 Chevy coupe still has the 6v system it was born with and it works great.

The main reason the manufacturers switched to 6v was because they could save a lot of money on the wiring - 12v systems only need half the size wires as 6v does (for the same amperage) and with ever in creasing electrical demands, it was a no brainer with the bean counters.

tractorguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

I still run 6v on my 1951 Willy's cj3a. Even works when it's below zero...Sometimes.

tractorguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. I switched all my 6 volt cars to 12 volts because of one old chevy pickup. I had a 48 1 ton with the 9 foot box and it would turn sooooooooo sloooooooooow. I replaced and or rebuilt generator, starter, all the cables and it still gave me fits...I sold it back to my dad.
    Conversely, I had a cherry pie little 55 ford tudor that never gave me any problems. Was a car I got for high school graduation in 1966 and never had a reason to swap it out to 12 volts.

OFT and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. 6 volts is a no....but i am thinking of 24 volts for my next build

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. I have a 6v heater motor with a button resistor in the circuit. Does that count? :rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Thought I read it was higher compression ratio engines. But I dunno. They are pretty skimpy with copper, you'd think it was a precious metal or something.

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

6V works fine when everything is in tip top condition. 12volt gives you a little more room for things to go wrong and still get a stubborn old motor spinning fast enough to start under less than ideal conditions.

19. Duck's Goat

Duck's Goat

Still using 6v in our '50

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. e z i

e z i

One of my favorite sounds is a 6v Flathead starter going errr errr errr errr. :)

Doctorterry, Truck64, LeoH and 7 others like this.
  21. Six volts. Daily driven. Year round.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

120mm, ClarkH, jakespeed63 and 8 others like this.
  22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you make hundreds of thousands units a year, a penny saved on each one is a lot of money.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Early on I had problems with a 6 volt system and I didn't have any mentors to guide me so I used trial a error and being a broke kid it was devastation when parts went up in smoke.

I am amazed how many guys are still using the 6 volts system.

A question,are you guys driving long distance and do you carry spare parts? HRP

24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I left several cars 6 volts, there is a 6 volt regulator that fits a GM one wire alternator, several vendors sell the alternators. I had a 50 Ford and a 53 Merc that were overdrive cars and left them both 6 volts, a friend has the 53 now and it has had the same alternator on it for about 20 years. My 29 Model A coupe has been running one since the late 80's, keeps the batteries up and start with no problems.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@HOTRODPRIMER We drive varying distances with the stockers. Some use 6V alternators some use stock generators. Yeah, Model A'ers carry parts :D. As a side note, stock model A's don't have regulators. The charging rate is set inside the generator. On long drives you can boil out a battery. Those with them run with the lights on to avoid that problem (and check battery too).

flatford39, rjones35 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. cs39ford

cs39ford

I drive my 39 ford every day long and short distance. Charging system stock six volt been this way since late 1990s. Just rebuilt it all and interstate battery Car in my avitar

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. "REAL" hotrods only have/had 6v's. Anyone who's says 6volts is not enough, don't understand automotive electricity. You can have both bright tail and headlights with 6v. And nothing sounds better than a 6v starter cranking over. And an alternator on a flat 4-8 looks retarted. But then again most streetrod guys need a heater and air conditioning. And a third brake light so I see why a lot of you guys need the 12v system.

28. I guess I'm just a poser,although I don't have a heater ,air or a 3rd brake light. :rolleyes: HRP

29. If I have a 6 V car and it works I leave it. I have changed some for financial reasons, like needed a battery I had a 12 V battery and the rest of the setup was cheaper than a 6V battery. Anyone who was around in the '70s knows that a 6V battery was higher than a cats back.

I ran my bike 6 V for about 5 years, then switched to 12v so I could run a halogen sealed beam. LOL

I can see lots of good reasons for converting, one of them to be cutting edge. Another being that 12V gauges are easier to come by as well and better ignition, no one makes performance ignition in 6V. I could go on.

I don't see either as being bragging rights in this day and age.

LeoH, firstinsteele, rhtfo and 2 others like this.
  30. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

my 40 is still 6V IMG_0009.JPG

Texas57, Jet96 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.