Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Visiting Austin. What to check out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormtron, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good evening.

My family is in town this week visiting family and I was wondering what HAMB related stuff I should try to take while I am here. I know the forum is based out of Austin but I am not sure if it is possible to check out the operation or not.

Feel free to give input.

2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

You're a little early for the Roundup. When I was there last year for the Roundup, it seemed most the action was on Congress.

You could check out Austin Speed Shop and Top Notch Burgers, can't think of much else that's directly HAMB related, maybe some locals will chime in..

Stormtron likes this.
  3. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Ya gotta go have a cold one at the Continental club on Congress.

Stormtron likes this.
  4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

you should postpone your trip a couple weeks. Plenty to see then

Stormtron likes this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

6. mountainman2

mountainman2

Visiting Austin. What to check out?

You prefer her phone number or her address???;)

Stormtron likes this.
  7. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Stormtron likes this.
  8. j3harleys

j3harleys

Call in sick and stay another week for the Round up.

55styleliner likes this.
  9. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Hey styleliner - you shouldnt be telling people about the three sisters, better to keep them to ourselves... But do tell about Hamilton Pool and Reimers Ranch. Not HAMB related but worth the short trip.

10. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Ask about "Chicken Shit Bingo" I kid you not. It's a real place!

11. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

It's Austin, and while it has changed a bunch, and a ton of great rod shops now exist, the old standby of turn at the end of the drive and see where it leads is still a great way to explore it.
    Lots of shops in South Austin to help fill a day( start at A.S.S. then head west for Murphos, Rays Perfection Automotive, Mercury Charlies, Rex Rods), some great shops north and west that would make a good all day roadtrip.
    Lots of trendy bbq here, but hit House Park 12th and Lamar next to the site of the first Roundup for lunch. Gearhead run with smoke stained rod pictures on every wall and good bbq from the oldest Austin pit.
    Have your rod with you? Drop by the Broken Spoke for a great picture opp in front and stay for the chicken fried steak and dance lessons. Maybe Mr. White the will have his Caddy there too.
    The Georges at Gruene Hall
    http://gruenehall.com
    is a great family friendly escape on Wednesday night. Free rockabilly and cold beer near the river in an iconic Texas dancehall just a quick drive away.
    Just a few ideas. Enjoy your visit to our area!

12. Just go out and muck around, its hardtop not find something worth visiting in Austin.

I used to say to visit the South Austin Speed shop, but I don't like Jesse so I don't even go there myself if I don't have to. I will suggest that visiting the home offices of the HAMB is a good idea, there is a little shop there that produces some pretty slick stuff. You may meet the boss and Joyo is sometimes in the area.

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I like Franklin BBQ. But then again I like most bbq.

HunterYJ likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6th Street! Party on the rooftops. If that's too much for ya, at least have a drink at the Driskill Hotel. Built in 1886, it's traditional before there was traditional.

15. Never2low

Never2low

I hate to get off track or start drama, and I'm sure I'll regret swatting at this wasps nest, but I thought I read somewhere that he's no longer affiliated with A.S.S.
    Something about being bought out, and him trying to resurrect W.C.C. in Austin?
    Google isn't bringing up much newer than 2014ish.
    Let's try to keep the reply's civil, guys.

16. He isn't. Don't think he has been for a number of years now.

Never2low likes this.
  17. modeleh

modeleh

I've been to Stubbs BBQ in Austin and would highly recommend it. Didn't have time to do anything car related there but if you focus on eating establishments then Texas won't leave you disappointed there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Well I was not aware that he was no longer there. Guess then I can suggest that it is a good place to visit. ;)

K13 likes this.
  19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

go out to The Oasis restaurant in the afternoon, sip cold refreshment till dinner time and enjoy the sunset views over some great Tex-Mex food

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Jesse has his own shop ,has had for awhile .

21. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Hamilton pool has gotten so busy you have to schedule your time to go.

22. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. We hit the Oasis today for lunch. With any luck I should be able to hit the Austin Speed Shop and would love to hit the HAMB headquarters. Are they down for visitors? Do you need to call ahead?

23. Never2low

Never2low

Just shoot Ryan a PM.

24. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for all of the suggestions. We ended up checking out the Austin Speed Shop. We had a nice lunch at the Oasis (Kid free). Rudy's BBQ for dinner one night.

Overall a great trip. Now to search for a Wagon so next time we can cruise in style. :)