Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Lightning rod shifter--3 and 4 handle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Ok, I know that Hurst Lightning rod shifters aren't quite vintage, but they're still awesome and I still want one. I see that they have been discussed before, but I still dont know what the difference is between a 3 handle and a 4 handle. I think I read somewhere that the 4th handle allows you to drop out of gear and into nuetral, but I'm not sure and I don't know how that works. Hopefully somebody who knows these shifters can shed some light. Heres the shift sequence for the 3 handle.

Attached Files:

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

when the three standard sticks are engaged (trans in 3rd gear) the fourth stick bypasses all three and allows the trans to be shifted into neutral and then reverse

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

sooo coooool.
    I love those things.

I also really like Lencos.

all those levers. even an experienced theif thinks twice.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea, the lenco was a cool friggin unit too. and hehe, if a three lever hurst makes a thief blink, imagine what a 4 lever would do :D

5. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Thanks Fiddy. Thats pretty trick. so the bigger question for me would now be, can these shifters, particularly the 4 handle, be used with a reverse pattern 400? I was looking at the pattern for the 3 handle and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

and does the 4th handle only function when engaged in 3rd gear, or can it be used to bypass 1st and 2nd gear?

6. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

OK Ry here's the real question are these 2 shifters yours? If so clue me in bro Whats up?

7. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Dude I wish they were mine. Its just a google pic. I'm just diggin up info on them for the future when I'm not broke as a goat. If and when I find one I think this is what will be in the J, if it will cooperate with a reverse pattern trans brake 400. There are guys that deal the parts for these things, if you can find the guy, you can find what you want.....for shifters that is. These things just look too damn fun and cool. The quarter stick isn't right for the car. A lightning rod isn't period either, but it's worth it and its at least old. I still gotta build the trans too, and pay for a new ticket I got for Christmas. You can ask me about that later.

8. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

i had a buddy with one in a 41 ford coupe.it was originally a stick and he left the clutch pedal in,hooked up to some springs for a bit of tension just incase someone tried to make off with it.i too have wanted a set.think they would look funny in a merc?

9. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Not hamb friendly.Late 70s early 80s.

Troublemaker427 likes this.
  10. Gearstix

Gearstix

Hey!!!
    The first pic, the cover has Conleys Performance Plus logo on it!
    Too cool man, too Cool.
    My grandfather had a Buick Regal T-Type.. he bought a chip and some other stuff from Conleys!

Sorry its new ..

Wow, I remember my grandfather talking about his buddy, who had a Grand National..
    this is it!
    http://www.conleyracing.com/wall_of_fame_nasty.htm

You've made my day.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  11. GasserKid

GasserKid

[​IMG]

12. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Maybe you could clue me into a hamb friendly shifter that works great and looks good? GOOD Automatic shifters seem to be an area of the traditional hot rod scene that hasn't been really developed in my oppinion, probably because they weren't all that well developed back in the day. Yes there are lokar shifters n such, but those aren't good for drag racing, and yes I drag race my car. Lightning rods aren't hamb friendly because there has never been a vintage shifter that obscure. Its easy to call a new unimatic or Lokar vintage looking because it has that 4 speed look. I think we can make a hamb exception for the lightning rod.

Somebody tell me if I am wrong.

13. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

I have waited for one of them Beautys to get on my TH400 FOREVER! that would make my interior's day:D

14. I agree they are cool, I always wanted one in high school, but they really don't belong on a traditional hot rod. Many would say the same thing about autos in general, even though I prefer them. Maybe someone will let us in ont the early racing automatic 411?

15. Have had a couple 3 stick sets

16. They are definitely cool looking. I've got a brand new in the box one that's been sitting on the shelf for decades that I'm hoping to use in something someday. Just waiting for the right vehicle to put it in I guess.

Max

17. cooler than a lokar or gennie shifter

18. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

My 57' Shortbed is exactly what you were thinking about:cool: hahaha

19. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Well later is now PM me. Im bidding on a HLRS right now on gaybay........Hows my lettering coming?

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Hmmmmm... not real sure if the 4th rod will work if the other 3 aren't all engauged or not. i'm tempted to say "NO" buuuuuut, without one to play with, i can't honestly say. only one i ever used was a three stick hurst in a cutlass this chick i was shacked up with at the time had. BOY, was THAT fun to drive! and yes, i do mean both :p

anyhow, i do not see there'd be a problem on a reversed pattern turbo 400, just a matter of runnin the cable the other way. in stead of attatching from the rear of the selector boss/lever on the trans, go at it from the front... IF you'd have enough cable to do the trick, and if you'd have enough room too. only messed with one reverse pattern 400. worst case, a bellcrank to a second cable? just need to be sure the geometry is right so the throw ends up the same in my way of thinking.

as to "traditional" or not, gotta side with the masses, but only cause its a slushbox. as for the shifter itself being "too new" i call horseshit. that being the argument, a TON of HAMB friendly and accepted cars dont pass muster. i'll toss out a well know group of cars, and thats the Rolling Bones. now, before you get all bent up, i am NOT sayin those cars dont rule, im sayin they run late model 5-speed gearboxes. not singling em out or callin foul, but facts are facts. lotta cars have new parts on em not available in the period the car is tryin to emulate. bushings, bearings, seals, rears, transmissions, engine internals... its a long list.

either way, i know i've wanted one ever since i drove it years ago... yes, the chick AND the shifter. :cool:

T

21. But those are parts that aren't vivible; three or four shifters sticking out of the floorboard will definitely be noticed, which is what makes them cool in the first place. I still want one for my late-model.

22. fanspete

fanspete

I've had my 4-stick since '84, people are intimidated by it..."I can't drive that!"
    It only takes the one stick for normal operation!

23. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Hydro-Stick

Attached Files:

24. NITRONOVA

NITRONOVA

I just got one of these ...The 3 stick kind. It is a hurst aftermarket version not the original 83-84 one. It is for a reverse valve body as the indicator shows PRN123.
    I would dig around for one of these instead of trying to make a forward pattern operate in reverse.
    Also note mine has a reverse lock out lever

25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

All I know is... These things bring a shitload on ebay. I had one (3-stick)that was in "OK" shape and it brought $650. I was shocked!!! Never knew they were that sought after.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

26. i thought this was just an olds thing, but i see the gn symbol on that consol peice. was this an option for the buicks?

27. Holy Revived Post!

I actually looked this up before posting...so maybe I'll be forgiven in that respect? I didn't know they were valuable at all...had one given to me today. I would sell the darned thing except for the guy is a friend, and gave it to me if I would USE it, LoL...

Are the CABLES that link this to the trans as expensive as the shifters?

It will look good along with my AM radio and under-the-dash 8-track player :D

28. Swifster

Swifster

The best racing transmission in the land is a Chrysler Torqueflite that was introduced in 1957. Worked great with the pushbutton selector. I always wanted to put one in a '30's car just left of the steering wheel :D.

vtx1800 likes this.
  29. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Just for fun. And that's what it's all about...right!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.