Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 21, 2017.

1. I have a friend in the south that when he hears a motor that is all cammed up, he says, "That thang shore hits a lick!" I just laugh. :D

Larry T likes this.
  2. When I was a little shaver, my Dad and Uncle would be adjusting the valves on some old car. One would be under the hood and the other in the drivers seat.

Dad would say, "OK, turn 'er over!" Since I couldn't see over the fender I used to think the whole motor was turning over! :confused::eek::D

jeffd1988, oldsjoe and slowmotion like this.
  3. LOL. One time I had to explain to a local that I didn't understand what he was trying to get across to me. I pointed to his battery and the CCA rating, and that this has nothing to do with an engine running.
    Of course , he just looked at me like I was talking in East Crapistanian.

Montana1 likes this.
  4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Care to explain what is what when a clutch is engaged or disengaged?

Montana1 likes this.
  5. As far as timing is concerned, advanced or retarded is all relative! :rolleyes::p

Does that sound retarded? (That's a joke Son, don't answer that!) :D

6. Larry T

Larry T

I guess the boys were working on their electric prototype when they named the company "Harley Davidson Motor Company". And I'll keep fooling with jugs just as long as I'm able. :D

We call that "Feeding time at the zoo!"

Montana1 likes this.
  7. We called it "dumping the clutch".

8. Still hearing this lately.."I used to side step the clutch at 6- 7- 8 grand" (pick one)
    Having raced a fair amount of clutch cars, wouldn't it be easier to just take your foot off it as fast as possible?
    (Reaction time discussion later)
    I guess you have to grease up your left foot so it slides right off easier?

OahuEli, Larry T and Montana1 like this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T

Kind of hard to try to recover from spinning the tires if your foot isn't on the clutch pedal too.

10. You mean "boilin' the hides"? ;)

11. Larry T

Larry T

I might smoke 'em, but I never boil the hides. :D

Montana1 likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gears around 3.00 are desert gears and up around 4.56 were stump pullers..Carbs were Pots..Engine rattles a little [pre-detonation]...Piston slap [too loose in bore]...swapping bores [very high rpm]..My area things were Cool if they were good, could also mean to calm down, being cool meant acceptance by your peers.. later awsum meant great, good, cool..Sneakers meaning Slick type tires..Bread meant money..Duck's ass = Hair cut...Puddle jumpers; I forget, maybe pants too short?o_O..

13. Seb, Maybe you remember this .
    Working around and with body men and painters in Connecticut, they would refer to wet sanding with 320 or higher, either on primer or lacquer as just that,... wet sanding.
    Later on, I would see the California writers, (Doug Marion, Super Chevy, maybe) refer to the process as color sanding.
    I thought it was a bit strange, because the color gets worse looking until you rub it out. When there's wet sanding primer..Certainly not "non-color sanding".
    What did you Cal. guys call that?

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Wet sanding, yes is wet sanding unless sanding a candy paint or heavy metallic then had to be careful so color stays uniform or with shading as you want, thus color sanding..Remember you were supposed to be impressed by many coats of hand rubbed lacquer in the mag write ups..

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Like my neighbor who comes over to look at my cars and would like me to think he was once a hot rodder and told me he had a bad ass Corvette once with a 3/4" cam.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  16. Pork.....I knew what you were saying as I read the first line....although I would use advance in my speakin'.........

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  17. He's running a "governor" on it.

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Back when short leg pants were called"Highwaters".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Atwater Mike likes this.
  19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Wind It Out = Tach it up from Beach Boys fame Joe

Montana1 likes this.
  20. gas & guns

gas & guns

Come on, let the clutch out! The fan won't pull it!
    She's got a 509 bumpstick. Mash the throttle, we'll either boil the tires or leak parts.

21. Shove your brains on the anchors = put your foot on the brake.
    I had a bumstick in my engine once, but I don't think it had anything to do with a cam.

22. Hey Benno...I've seen you "stand up and walk it outta the hole" a few times.
    chevypu.jpg

23. Garpo

Garpo

Always thought a 3/4 cam worked on six cylinders. Garpo

oldsjoe likes this.
  24. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Potvin made the Potvin 3/8 cam. Pretty healthy cam at the time

oldsjoe likes this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

In my native SE Ohio town, anything 3.00 or numerically lower were called "airplane gears". Thanks Beaner, I haven't heard that for a while. Anything in a car 4.10 or numerically higher, meant it was "geared prett Ay stiff". Until I moved to Wyoming in 1999, i had never heard a driveshaft called a "driveline". We always considered that to be a catch-all term meaning everything from the transmission to the rear end.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Dang ol phone sucks to post from, I must get my laptop going again. The new use of "sick" really confused me thefirst time I heard it used as it is now. To this day, if I say something looks sick, it aint no compliment. And I also finally realize, My Chevy will run better if I start looking for "Genuine GE Parts" instead of GM.

27. xracer40

xracer40

In my younger years when cruising the local Shoney's Big Boy we always tried to be "on the cam". It was a low idle sweet spot where you get that ruump - ruump sound and the surging motion with each ruump. Having a low gear really helped.

oldsjoe likes this.
  28. "Speed shift" was to pull slightly on the shift knob away from the "gate" it's in and feel the release in the micro-fraction of a second the clutch first dis-engages, triggering you to "bang" into the next "gate" while you re-engage the clutch as fast as possible. The whole dance is done in a fraction of a second with a minimum of clutch pedal travel.

"Granny shift" was a more lengthy process that usually involved a coffee break between starting a gear change and completing the change, plenty of pedal travel and "unloading" and "loading" lots of drive train lash.

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Seems to me that if a person doesn't understand what is being said, they should be smart enough to ask a question about it. If not, they don't need to know what is being said.

30. "fyah" "fakeen" "weech" "stinguisha" "kwyst" "kah" "fak" "thayah" "gwab"

"Holy kwyst ! My fakeen kah is on fyah ! Fak! Weech back thayah and gwab the stinguisha! Fakeen' A ! My legs ah on fyah !!!!!! "

(I'm from Boston, no one can pronounce the "R" sound, unless it replaces an "A" at the end of a word- 'Honder Civic' )

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    OahuEli, gasser57! and pat59 like this.