Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>>> FRIDAY ART SNOW 3/17/17 <<<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Mar 17, 2017.

1. 170203XPdeluxe.jpg
    '65 Falcon ( electrified acrylic on canvas, 12x 16)

120824LpzWCFltr-copy.jpg
    watercolour

Summer's nearly gone- down here... Turn up your art, with a spring in yer step..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I like taking car pics but not at car shows or cruise nights. I prefer them in their natural habitat.
    If someone comes over to buy car parts and brings his bitchin' vehicle then I'm all over it. I'll
    put together a three or four panel 8x10 and email it back.

COL 35 Dodge.jpg

3. Mark A

Mark A
    from Michigan

Nice Start. Thank you for the likes from the last show. Just some old stuff from me this week. R-BLUE2.jpg R-BLUE6.jpg 49 shoebox1.jpg ozzy4.jpg

4. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

5. Godspeed Zapato, thank you for all your support of we artists. RIP.

Take to Doc this week. He helped me come up with part of this week’s offerings for the show.

“The Lunar Lander”

Lunar_Lander_01_4web.jpg
    Lunar_Lander_Babe2_4web.jpg Lunar_Lander_Babe1_4web.jpg

Ruben Duran, beebing, hrm2k and 32 others like this.
  6. Nice work Bob!

57 Corvette ~ Bob and verde742 like this.

7. Great start Steve, keep warm while staying cool!

Spoggie likes this.
  8. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

9. GaryC.

GaryC.

10. I'm posting this, in memory of Zapato.
    Al was a fan of the Friday art show, and this was the first of many cool things we traded.
    It lives on the passenger side, of the dash in my 1929 Hudson.

Rest In Peace Al.

IMG_20170317_194103.jpg

11. Oh man.. Rest in peace Zapato.

kiwijeff, robber and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Frogz

Frogz

R.I.P. Zapato :oops:

The French Rodders know very well this lil' woody (Citroën C4)

[​IMG]

13. Pieces parts. I’ll post the full image as soon as I can.

Haunted_Detail_9_4web.jpg

Haunted_Detail_5A_4web.jpg

Haunted_Detail_5B_4web.jpg

Haunted_Detail_5C_4web.jpg

GaryC., Ruben Duran, beebing and 28 others like this.
  14. Great start, and good morning everyone, Sad to here about Zapato. Prays, for his family and friends. I did this one late last night. I was a little too sleepy by the end. So the shadowing didn't turn out, like I wanted it too. Ron... 023.jpg

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-17_3-31-28.png 3 year old test pilot, “Capt. Cool”
    upload_2017-3-17_3-32-9.png
    ORIGINAL DESIGN 1979
    Hello,
    We needed a small business to make some additional income in 1979. Laying out plans for a big idea sprung out of an old solid oak skateboard I purchased in the 60’s. I would make a new version of our old “orange crate” scooters from the 40’s-60’s into something every kid would want for endless hours of play. Our first attempt at a huge side business, Sunshine Scooters.

I had some old wooden skateboards left over from the early 60’s. So, using that as a template, I designed a handle out of 2x2 wood poles and an oak broom stick for the handlebars. The original design was to have the 2x2 wooden pole in front of the axle. I bolted it down to the board using metal “L” brackets. But, as far forward as it was, the first time my son got on and leaned slightly forward, he fell forward into the plants. So, adjusting the “L” brackets farther back over the front axle (trucks) gave the stability needed for smoother scooting. Now, any amount of pressure on the handlebars was met with no forward lean or falling. Problem solved. To make things more attractive, the bicycle hand grips and colorful streamers on the ends made up the complete package.

Our next design from the drawing came when my son leaned back and stepped on the rear of the wooden deck. He fell right into the bushes again as the kicked up rear tail was several inches off of the ground level and made a perfect wheelie motion to cause him to fall back. I designed a nut/bolt and complete skateboard wheel (including bearings) through the angled tail section. (inset to keep the deck smooth) This design allowed my son to step back on the tail and the wheel would hit the ground like a skid plate. Initially, it was used as a brake by lifting the front handlebars upward, stopping quickly. Later on as he got better, he used the wheel to slow down, lift and spin on the wheel to change directions. Yes, the original wheel got used up as he kept up his braking and turning. But, it prevented any backwards falls unexpectedly.
    (no children were intentionally hurt in these experiments)

Finally, the additions of a nose skid plate and side rail/bottom protectors were added to keep the scratches to a minimum. Now, with the experience of our old Precision Racing Engines Company from 1959-64, the Photographic Works photo business in the late 1960’s-1976, I learned that a business license and dealer tax exempt status allowed me to purchase stock skateboard stuff at a drastic discount for the builds. We were even in the first Action Sports Catalog as a new So Cal company.

Jnaki
    upload_2017-3-17_3-34-14.png upload_2017-3-17_3-34-28.png
    catalog photos for SUNSHINE SCOOTERS, So Cal
    The versions that were sold to various shops in So Cal had metal pipes instead of the wooden handles originally made for my son. But, after a month of sales and use by people, they had a design flaw that made them subject to breakage. With the rough usage on sidewalks, other concrete surfaces, and sharp turns, etc. they cracked. The threaded portion of the tall support “T” pipe started cracking under pressure. I immediately replaced the pipes with new ones, but they continued to crack. So I demanded a factory recall with a money back guarantee. I had to go to every buyer and buy back the scooters. At the shops, I had to track down the customers that had come in and purchased them. For a couple of weeks, it was a madhouse.

After this fiasco, I tracked down a welder that suggested chrome moly tubing pipes would be a lot stronger with arc welds in the joints. So, he welded several designs and sizes. I went home to install them and created a non destructive scooter. The metal plate welded to the tall pole did not break and the T handle was very secure. So, all of the installations proved successful. But, our friend, a lawyer just mentioned at a family function that he wanted to know if I had liability insurance. What?

If any injury that was caused by the scooter would be traced back to the manufacturer/owner. In turn, the liability would be a massive payout. So, he asked if we had liability insurance. How much should I have and how much would it cost? The answer floored us… at least $1k/month, $12k per year. That was outrageous, but was a fact of life. We did not have that money per month and could not afford it. So, the business had to close. All products were already recalled, so we now had a stable of the 8 final scooters with these chrome moly handles. The future order of 40 more “T” handles was cancelled and a stop order was placed on several new 8 ply blanks. We still used these scooters at our house and the local parks. No one outside of our family had one. There were three models: kid size, medium size for moms, and big size for dads. I still ride mine, but use it mostly for moving large heavy objects around the yard and house.

20 years later, the billion dollar industry came on the scene with the Razor scooters. Booo…
    upload_2017-3-17_4-22-37.png 1983
    My friend had painted several designs on other cars and wanted to try something different on my Subaru 4x4 wagon. (finally, an A/C wagon) So, I drew a simple design to promote our business: Sunshine Scooters. We decided to use it as an example of a tax write off. But, the fiasco of our factory recall and liability, put this paint job to rest. But it would have looked cool, a one of a kind vehicle. Yellow AWD wagon, red sides, with a colorful scooter making a wavy yellow, flowing trail, design on the whole side of the body panels. The name on both bottom areas of the 2 doors on each side. The yellow ribbons would have met on the rear hatchback door.

GaryC., beebing, ct1932ford and 11 others like this.
  16. kiwijeff, I like your story, about Zapato, And a cool art photo too. It made me think of Andy Warhol's Art. What if Andy Warhol would have been a gear head? Instead of a Campbell's soup can, he may have done something like this. lol And jkani I enjoyed your story too. thanks Ron... 026.jpg

17. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Good start, art people! 53a71852_o.jpg

GaryC., Ruben Duran, beebing and 19 others like this.
  18. kenmo

kenmo

2016 Atlantic Nationals, Moncton, New Brunswick....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kenmo

kenmo

20. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

image.jpeg Here is an LSR I made for my art exam in 1973 I was besotted with the goldenrod. I had some letraset and the only name I had enough doubles for was REVULATOR construction is balsa wood and it's about 20 inches long

GaryC., Spoggie, ct1932ford and 15 others like this.
  21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1859.JPG IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1891.JPG Good morning all...my daughter wanted me to do one for her of her first car so I did the 71 340 Demon, which gave me an idea to do one of all the really cool cars Ive owned these last 64 years. the shoebox is not one of them, but already had it done so I included it this week. my 69 Roadrunner that has been penciled out....should be done for next week

GaryC., Ruben Duran, beebing and 22 others like this.
  22. ncjamey

ncjamey

GaryC., pwschuh, Ruben Duran and 31 others like this.
  23. I find a lot of cool old stuff, in old cars at junkyards. Here is another art photo. { notice the church key holes. 029.jpg

GaryC., Ron Brown, robber and 14 others like this.
  24. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Man, does that bring back memories! Used to have a church key attached to my keychain!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

been a long time since I shot anything HAMB worthy.

[​IMG]m/t by Doug Ogden, on Flickr

GaryC., Spoggie, Ruben Duran and 14 others like this.
  26. Here is a sketch I did of Roth's Rotar. I wanted it so bad as a kid. A go kart that flew ! 040.jpg { fur biscuit} , I love it !!!

27. skipstitch

skipstitch

Morris.jpg Messing w/ compound curve creation.... same tired HEMI from last week...LOL

GaryC., Ruben Duran, JimC and 15 others like this.
  28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice still life's. I have been off in the land of vintage 4x4's, seeing the world and generally staying away from HAMB-centric subject matter. My camera's have more in common with the dust bunnies that keep them company than anything else these days.

29. Ron you hit the nail ! When I started college in mid 60s you could buy a case of quart bottles of CBL for $3 so you know what I had for breakfast, lunch , and dinner.
    Speaking of that nail , I think I can still fill it between my eyes as I did then in the wake up hours . Now back to your normal programming.