Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flathead Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboClark, Mar 15, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TurboClark

TurboClark

Can I bolt on a 51 Ford Flathead to a 1929 Ford Model A ? Without a lot of headaches? (Haha.. Dumb question!) Thank you!

2. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

[​IMG]
    Something like this? You can do it and if you think ahead and take your time you don't have to cut up the fire wall like a lot of people do. Put a 39 trans in it and you'll have a good old school set up. Or a newer t5

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

rjones35 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. TurboClark

TurboClark

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

welcome Clark. Please fill out your BIO and introduce yourself in the intro forum.
    Yes you can do this as long as you have the abilities and more importantly the determination.
    Good luck!

6. Someone may have even wrote a book on the subject! (Tardel). :)

clunker and Flathead Dave like this.
  7. TurboClark

TurboClark

Thank you this is what I want to do.. I'm a 67yr old retired fug and I want to do what you did.. so a 39 trans.. another question then.. is the 39 trans one that was used through specific years other than 39? I'm going to a swapmeet this week end and want to know what I'll need.. can you send me any pics of such tranny's you mentioned? I will google but you know what you are talking and I want to understand..
    Thanks a million.. much appreciated!! This is my daily driver my 60 El Camino.. 15111078_1562212887128407_6993852900963483860_o.jpg 20160523_120018.jpg

8. TurboClark

TurboClark

9. TurboClark

TurboClark

Thank you Firebrrat

10. TurboClark

TurboClark

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D
    Something like that firebrrat except the OP is trying to wedge a 8BA in a 29. I am currently helping a buddy shoehorn an 8BA into his 29 coupe and it aint for the faint of heart. And doesn't fit as nice as yours which BTW looks like it grew there! :D

12. TurboClark

TurboClark

What seems to be the problem Bandit.. the firewall ?

13. alchemy

alchemy

It's NOT a bolt in. If you can think and fab a bit it can be done with the right combo of parts. But it's NOT a bolt in.

14. TurboClark

TurboClark

Ok.. I didn't think so.. as far as to the little transmission.. some info said to find a later trans like a 39.. or t5.. but I suppose these will be fun to find.. Was thinking of the quickest way to get running down the road without too much work.. But the tranny swap will be a good one to find!! haha tx

15. alchemy

alchemy

There is a lot more to it than just the right trans. Crossmembers, wishbone mounts, motor mounts, and a ton of particular old Ford parts that you need to know exactly what you are looking for because they look a lot like similar (non-fitting) parts.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! If you leave the radiator and grille where they belong (he has a hood he wishes to retain), you will run out of real estate before you get that 8BA in the engine bay. Also, the front stock cross member needs pruning to clear the crank pulley, the steering box needs to be moved (my buddy is installing a F100 box (possibly over the frame for more exhaust clearance), The headers will need to be custom made, and yes the firewall was massaged...A LOT! And the heads will need to be bolted on, no room to lift the head off the studs on the left side.
    upload_2017-3-15_14-9-32.png
    upload_2017-3-15_14-10-52.png
    He may have got a tad aggressive with the cutoff wheel on the firewall but remember there is no intake manifold in these pictures. Its a tight squeeze but it will work. I would have reversed the firewall and ditched the tank but he didn't want to re-paint the exterior, his car his option.
    That is an understatement!
    Turboclark, do you already have the 8BA?

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

And don't forget you will need to be able to stop it too.

18. AND.....your posting of yourself and the ElCamino is not the same as doing an edit to your profile page.Info needs to be on Profile so as to show under your avatar with all your postings..

19. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Here's one in my '29. Uncut firewall, radiator about 1/4 inch forward. F1 box lowered about 3/4 inch in the chassis and some fab work on the fan/belt loop.

As others said: yes '39 style transmission and closed V8 rear with a k style crossmember.
    Hope this helps.
    IMG_0466.JPG

20. chopndrop

chopndrop

21. You can bolt a Model B engine into a Model A. You can bolt a 350 sbc into a '60 El Camino that came with a 283 sbc. What you are describing is a major project and you should do a lot of research before you start. HAMB is a good place to start. I would still like to know in general where do you live and what swap meet are you going to?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It's a fun build. I am using a 1951 8BA with a C4 trans. on my 29 frame. I'm done with standard transmissions. I am using a modified TH350 trans mount with my C4. All I had to do with it was weld a mounting flange to it.

I am using block hugger headers for a better fit with my steering.

I moved my radiator forward about 3/4" and I have plenty of room for the fan and water pumps.

All you need to do is to mock up your motor and trans and motor mounts and cross members on your frame. Use truck water pumps for your motor mounts. Of course if your using the 28-30 body, you'll have to message the fire wall a bit. I am using a 27 Coupe body so I didn't have to message my fire wall for the fitment of the fuel pump.

Eezy peezy....

Have fun with it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

23. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I like a little firewall recess so the front end doesn't get too stretched out, I also have my engine mounts up about 1" above the frame rail. Sometimes I think if a flathead sits low they look kind of small.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Like a few people have said, I would definitely get "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel. It essentially describes in detail how to achieve exactly what I think you want to do: build a high boy AV8, (not necessarily a Roadster, but a Model A with a '53 or earlier Flathead Ford V8 adapted to it, slightly lowered without channeling the body, using a stock A chassis in the most strait forward way possible, just like people did 60 or 70 years ago with basic tools before men walked on the moon). I've read through it twice, and am still digesting it. I'm going from a 1960 GM to this basic project as well, and it's apples and oranges, (then again, I'm not the brightest light on the Christmas tree, so maybe it's just me, I even struggle with things that I'm paid to be an expert at...)

[​IMG]

We have little kids, and are a two income family (I just happen to have to earn both incomes), so my spare time and spare money are both really limited. I've been thinking more about an A and hopping up the banger, messing with the body and chassis a bit and driving it around for awhile so I can have some yucks before tearing it down for what I'm guessing would be a really fun multi-year pretty intense project.

There are a lot of threads here with people running their 4 cyl, and to me there's something cool about the simplicity of that. I imagine a lot of teenagers in the 40's and 50's did something similar. I'm not saying you should even consider this, just telling you what I'm thinking about, finding myself in a similar situation. Then again, your avatar looks like you carrying an entire chassis across your back yard single handedly, so maybe this might be ez for you.

You should flesh out your profile page, helps everyone get to know each other. You won't find a better place to research your project than here. What's a "fug"?

25. TurboClark

TurboClark

I was going to buy a 1951 EBA motor.. I see all these letters that I'm not familiar with.. Like 8BA.. Dunno what that means.. 8BA.. Anywho.. That's what I was going to pick up.. But if its a big time hassles.. I may as well just go Chev V6 like originally thought.. As I have all running gear for a Chevy swap.. And I won't have to bust into firewall.. !!

26. TurboClark

TurboClark

I was simply opting to go Flathead.. And retain closed driveline.. And just drive it easy.. But it seems Easy is Not an Option! So if its going to be a lot of work.. Then I'll just go chevy v6...

27. TurboClark

TurboClark

Want trying to counter the profile page info with pics.. Just putting that as its me behind the words and question.. Ty

28. alchemy

alchemy

The '51 EBA engine is the same physically outside as the 8BA. They will fit exactly the same. If you haven't bought it yet, hold your horses and look for a 1939 to 1948 era engine, commonly called a 59A style. The shorter water pumps, pulleys, and distributor on the front will help it fit into the A better.

We here on the HAMB love flatheads and other old engines, and will be willing to help you through any of this project you might want to take on. Until you start talking about a Chevy V6. Then we will show you the door.

Granted there are a lot of odd parts to find, and some fab work to do, but the reward is huge. A model A with a flathead is an attention-getter at any outing. A Model A with a Chevy V6 isn't worth a second look.

29. As for transmissions, 1932 and up to 1948 are mostly the same. 1939 is commonly the preferred transmission as it indicates the start of synchronized gears, stronger shift forks, and detents to hold shifter in place. Any years transmission after 1939 will work, some will have top shift, some will have side shift, some will be open drive shaft (truck transmissions), some will have closed driveshaft, some will have stronger cases, some will have better gear ratios,.. you get the idea, but generally they are all the same transmission referred to as a 39 style transmission. Here is what you are looking for. After 1939 cars had side shift, while trucks had top shift, shown is the open drive variant.

[​IMG]

I recommend looking at VanPeltes Site for investigation and research
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com

As for motors, Alchemy is right. Try to find a middle years motor (1938-1948), they will be a smaller package, as they have shorter water pumps.

30. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

A Tardel 32 style K member for a Model A frame makes this ALOT easier. I happen to know where a brand new one is at a very good price;););)

AVater likes this.