Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Troubleshooting - Multimeter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's time to buy a decent multimeter for troubleshooting electrical problems. I've made do with an old Craftsman and a Harbor Freight 'freebie', but I don't trust either one to give me accurate readings. I'd like to get a decent digital readout meter for troubleshooting 6v & 12v systems, but I have no idea what the best brand for the money would be. I can't afford a Fluke, but is there a good, dependable meter for under $100 available ?
    Thanks for your input,
    -Bob

2. Bert

Bert

I've got an import fluke copy, with the rubber back and all... It's not crap, and it does the job just fine... From memory it was around $50.... Strange, just bought a batt for it last nite

stillrunners likes this.
  3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I go through a shit load of multi meters every year due to the nature of my work and what I have found is there are no USA made options other than some (not all) Fluke meters. Go to your favorite hardware or parts store, pick out one that has all the stuff on it that you need and don't spend more than 75 bucks.

Good luck, -Abone.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. mohead1

mohead1

Fluke for sure....if its good enough for use in our nuclear plant its more than eough for simple home troubleshooting

LONG and GeezersP15 like this.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Buy a Power Probe. For working on cars it is a better choice at about the same price. I bought mine about a month ago and I really like it. It solves a lot of problems, like working on areas away from the battery in the car. Power Probe has 20 foot leads and the ability to switch back and forth with power (+12 volts) and ground. There are videos on youtube showing how to use one. I have 2 Fluke Multimeters which I will keep for working on things around the house that aren't car related. For cars, Power Probe is the answer.

saltflats and belair like this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Triplett makes a nice midrange unit, it's got a large easy to read display, a rubberized case and all the voltage and resistance measurements you'd want around the home and garage.

For old school automotive work any digital unit is going to be more than accurate enough. In fact sometimes what you really want when working on vintage equipment is vintage test equipment. Analog meters don't jump around like a digital display can, so they are useful when looking for voltage peaks, and a lot of the modern compact stuff tops out at 10 amps for current measurement.

8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Fluke's prices are just crazy. I've got a Fluke 83 I bought new in 1988. Cost $145 including the rubber condom and zip up soft case. Every other electronic item on earth is cheaper today than it was in the 80's yet the current Fluke 83 is selling at $375 to $425 depending on source. Damn good meters, but there's no way I'd pay what they cost today.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

would be a real fluke if I bought a Fluke

stillrunners and wbrw32 like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like I should pick one of these up if they turn up at tag sales, easy money if they work, how do you know if the work? Bob

11. squirrel

squirrel

I had a nice fluke 77 that I got on ebay for about $50, but I lost it when we were filming the movie a few years ago.

I also have a couple crappy brand X dmms that work ok...and a few old meter types that are fun to use occasionally. Even have my dad's old Heathkit, he built in the 50s, it still works good.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

For automotive work the Craftsman should be just fine. There is not much you would need to do on a traditional hot rod or custom that the accuracy of any decent mm would not be sufficient. With that said, I do a fair amount of electronics work, and I like B&K Precision tools. They have a handful of choices for digital meters under $100.00. The quality is very good and the accuracy is excellent.

Check out the linky http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/bk-precision/multimeters/handheld/index.htm

stillrunners likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

image.jpg Heathkit made some nice stuff. Eico was another big name in the kit line. I have an RCA VoltOhmyst tube type (VTVM) meter like this one used in radio repair work and alignments. Uses two 6K6 as some kind of bridge network, 6H6 diode, and 6X5 rectifier.

GeezersP15 and squirrel like this.
  14. k9racer

k9racer

All the Air Force guys will know PSM 6 . Wish mine had not died. Plus batterys were impossible to obtain. Now I use a fluke unit I purchased at a estate sale for 45 dollars.

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the input. Since garage sales will be starting up in a couple of months, maybe I'll hold off and see if anything turns up.

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have a Fluke Digital and a Simpson 265 that I have had from the early '70s. Call me old school but I always use my Simpson. Multi meters can be purchased in any of the big box stores. Lowes has good assortment, you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars.

olscrounger likes this.
  17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a fluke that I used in my work. My go to meter for the past 10 yrs is a Sperry digital and it does everything I need. Also have a clampon meter that works with AC and DC and has the other functions as well with leads-very handy. Both were under $60. Gave the fluke to my son.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Try radio shack and as stated a power prob is a handy tool and they have one with the volt and ohm meter in them.

19. squirrel

squirrel

is radio shack still around? they all left from here...used to be 3 of them in our small city.

20. RR

RR

For automotive use, you either have voltage present or you don't. I don't see precision or accuracy a great benefit. Rarely will you measure resistance, so whatever measures voltage the way you want it. I have an old Fluke 77 that I have had since the 80's. When it dies, I will probably look for a super cheap voltmeter like they have at HF.

21. squirrel

squirrel

My guess is that the type of meter you need, depends on your troubleshooting abilities :)

(my Tek 535 scope comes in handy, occasionally)

22. Arominus

Arominus

My current favorite daily driver fluke is the 117, which is $150 on amazon. Backlit, non contact voltage sensing, Current draw under 10a. Its got it all.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-117-El...d=1488912934&sr=8-3&keywords=fluke+multimeter

For less you can get the 106 ($86) and it would cover most things you'd want to do.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Handhe...=1488912934&sr=8-11&keywords=fluke+multimeter

I've also been using a UEI multi with a temp probe (nice for AC work) but its gone up from the $80 it was a few years ago to $130. I think i'd just get the 117 at that price.

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

When I bought my first Fluke around 1980, they had a great guarantee. Now I think they have a set fee for handling which is more than a different brand meter costs. For $20 you can buy a meter that will be good enough for most home and automotive use.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Same here. It used to be that the stores were full of people. They had become mostly a cell phone store when I stopped to get some resistors a couple years ago. I went there a few months back. The sign was lit up but the store was empty.

25. great thread guys.....I have a variety of ones to use....think my Cadillac one is a Greenlee?

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Somewhere around here I have an analog meter a former employer gave me that survived Khe Sahn, and also a Radio Shack digital that I bought 15 years ago or so. The battery life in that digital is incredible, I have changed it once in 15 years.

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I see Radio Shack filed for bankruptcy again.

28. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I think Radio Shack will soon become history. They've been going downhill for quite a while.

29. Canus

Canus

Just how accurate a meter do you think you need for automotive work?

30. squirrel

squirrel

I was playing with a fuel gauge sending unit a few days ago, I tried a really cheap old analog ohm meter, it didn't give me any useful info...so I got out the not so old cheap digital meter, it worked.