Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Perspective

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Not the same argument in my mind. That is a socio/politcal argument (and not in the what are your political views sense but in the world events sense)not one of innovation and design like you mention in the article.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are absolutely right. But my point isn't really one of semantics. It's of literal inputs vs outputs given the resources at hand. I believe the 777 car achieved much more than any Nazi Germany car did before it with way less resources at hand. And it did so purely because of innovation and passion. HOT RODDING.

I'm not REALLY trying to compare the two cars. I'm really comparing what was behind each. I could have made similar arguments between the T80 and Poteet's SBC powered record holder from a few years back.

Like I said, not very well written on my part.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  3. Under that context, I can see your point and agree. Absolutely, the 777 car achieved much more with much less. Innovation and passion versus pride and glory.

I won't comment or judge on that aspect, as I'm not a writer.
    That being said, I think discourse is a healthy thing. Arguing the merits and points, not the political intentions, is a good aspect for this thread. Challenging one's mind is good for all of us.

mad mikey and kiwijeff like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm 100% with you. My biggest problem as a writer is getting my point across concisely. Always has been...

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  5. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

'Speedy Canuck'- "I won't comment or judge on that aspect, as I'm not a writer.
    That being said, I think discourse is a healthy thing. Arguing the merits and points, not the political intentions, is a good aspect for this thread. Challenging one's mind is good for all of us."

Well said gentlemen.
    Ric

6. Am I the only one that sees the irony in that you drive a Porsche??? ;)

dwollam, Tim and kiwijeff like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Only when Knowone (sic) is looking.

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They had probably learned about loss of traction problems at high speeds. I daresay this phenomenon resulted in many of the crashes of early speed record attempts. Perhaps the believed downforce was the answer. But at some point the drag is too much of a hinderance. I think most LRS racers these days use weight to maintain traction

Stogy, tb33anda3rd and HEMI32 like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They had weight covered too... the t80 tipped the scales at over 6,000 pounds!

Stogy likes this.
  10. banjorear

banjorear

Anyone know how much of that was motor? Well, @ 3+ tons, Newton's law of motion certainly comes into play...

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The dry weight of a standard DB603 was about 2,000 pounds...

12. banjorear

banjorear

I wonder where the other 2 tons came from? Purposeful ballast or just overall build weight?

13. Great read for my breakfast wake up.
    I'm thinking the political part comes from your descriptive wording, regarding Nazis, but I overlooked that, knowing that the article as a whole, was not about that at all.
    I really don't want to comment any further on this part, as it's not relevant, and don't want to see a good thread screwed up.

What I do want to comment on, is the odd rod.
    Ever since I first saw it, I've been fascinated with it.
    It's the sort of odd thing I would build, had I been around back then.
    It makes no sense, has the aero dynamics of a brick, and yet it still turned a good time.
    I'm trying to remember where I first read about it, and I'm sure it started life as something without the body?
    I'm thinking it's in "The birth of hot rodding", so I've just dug it outer the bookshelf, and I'll go take a look.

As for perspective, I like brains over brawn, except for cars.
    With cars, give me muscle any day.
    An open header hillbilly V8 does something for me, that no other engine can do, even a finely tuned V12.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The rest of the driveline looks pretty heavy to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim_with_a_T, 63fdsnr, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This makes me laugh.

hahaha.jpg

16. banjorear

banjorear

Lesson learned: it pays to read all of a post, eh? Yeah, agreed.

That transmission/transaxle assembly looks like it must weigh quite a bit too.

Edit: Looks like Ryan beat me to it by two minutes. I guess I was typing as he was posting. I find it kind of funny in an odd way that they just threw some wood blocks under the frame for the picture. With a blank check build and knowing the German mindset in regards to quality, I would have thought they would have made some purpose built stands for this thing.

I like the gussets running up and down the spine were the tubing meets.

It is certainly a piece of automotive design art...

17. I just got a huge laugh out of you referring to Hitler blowing smoke out of his methamphetamine burned asshole. That is f..kin' classic.

Jet96, Stogy, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  18. The only thing political I got from this is America rules, Nazi's drool.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well- I am glad you posted it. That is a cool looking design- I love those '30s streamliners. And who can't respect Mr. Porsche's engineering prowess?

And props to the HAMB's own Nick's Garage for recreating the Oddrod.

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

wow... that is pretty unreal. the aluminum casting for the transaxle to drive four wheels... what appears to be an 8-10" eliptical tube frame member that is curved and shaped... damn an unlimited budget looks fun!

21. Didn't one of the Auto Union cars hit an overpass support trying to set a speed record earlier in the 30s?
    Maybe they're accounting for a bit more rigidity, stability and driver safety with this one...

22. They were trying to beat the W125 record when their stremliner lost control and hit the bridge.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  23. By the end of the war alone technology was leaps and bounds beyond where it was in 1939. One thing about war is it always results in rapid technological advancement. Imagine what the records would have been if a group of engineers were given free reign and tasked with setting records without any mind to the cost, throwing all practicality out the window, in 1945. Or 1952. Those were some of the best engineers in Europe. I also wonder how often Ferdinand had to go and pick Hans Ledwinka's brain for ideas? The W125 that ran 268mph had a 725hp engine, the T80 had a 3000hp engine. That's a little over 4x the power of the W125. How fast it would have run is anyone's guess but I'm sure it would have been impressive. Wouldn't it have been something to have seen the Auto Unions and Mercedes-Benz (Benzes?) run in the day, especially considering what consisted of transport for the average person at the time. Most of Europe was still reliant on horses at least in the country. They must have seemed like "spacecraft".

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very interesting topic - especially when you see the amazing design & creativity back then. for more info on the T80 plenty on line like: https://oldmachinepress.com/2012/10/01/mercedes-benz-t80-type-80/
    but, don't forget Bonneville early days, like Teddy Tetzlaff in the Blitzen-Benz 1914=141.73MPH. Then Sir Malcom Campbell in the Campbell-Railton Blue Bird (acknowledged as the first Bonneville Streamliner) 1935= 301.29 - powered by a Rolls-Royce "R" Schneider Trophy Aircraft Engine with 2500HP @ 3200 RPM

Spoggie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. sololobo

sololobo

thanx, really dig stuff like this. The body is hot damn cool!

26. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The photos of it undressed tell the real story of building in an unlimited world vs. building using hot rod ingenuity. That thing appears more sophisticated than many of the modern race cars we are subjected to, often also with extravagant budgets, and it was built 80 YEARS AGO!

Their jackstand budget sucked wind for sure, and I LOL'ed when Ryan pointed that out. Nobody focuses on only the subject at hand like a German Engineer. :confused:

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Germans always excelled at building fine machinery, no wonder they could produce this with unlimited money and the best talent.

28. belair

belair

Just because you like something some one did (or built), it doesn't mean you approve of them or everything they did. Don't tip-toe around stuff because some one is looking for a way to be offended or might "misinterpret you." It's a hell of a car so don't worry about admiring it.. If the devil had designed the 40 Ford, I'd still want one.

29. raven

raven

30. i would probably guess from the german built machinery i have dealt with, that that car would have surprised us with what it could do.................of course, using that same logic............it would have required many days to prep for a run, if it broke it would have required a small army of men and a warehouse full of specialized tools to fix it. and if it did make a pass the "maintenance schedule" would have bankrupt the german tax payers. .............the pen may be mightier than the sword but the pencil always works.;):)