Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can a 2.3 Ford engine use a vintage transmission????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wurger, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Wurger

Wurger

Noob question I'm sure, I have not dealt with piece togethers yet I need some mechanical advice.....

I have a 31 Ford pick up that has a 2.3L 4banger currently with a C4 trans, it's currently not on its original Frame but will be. From what I can understand (by using the search bar) on this forum if I use a T5 world class be it from a Ford or Chevy I will have to do some cutting on my frame, not to mention that the shifter will sit back WAY further than where it would have been stock. Can I mate up an old 3 speed? ( or something) Any help in my sleeper 31 project would be great! Help a "stocker" guy understand how to be cool and thrifty
    P.S It currently has a Mustang two front end but I'm going back to the straight axle... IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3133.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

anything that lets you bolt a c4 to it, will let you bolt a similar year 3 speed to it...

3. spdster

spdster

Look at the Ford "Type 9" 5-speed gearbox
    [​IMG]
    The gearbox was used in the Mercury Merkur XR4Ti it was made for the 2.3L

Wurger likes this.
  4. If you use a T-5, you use the S-10 extension housing and shifter (or just use the whole S-10 thing) - it's shifter is forward and puts it in a near stock location.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

about the cutting, almost anything you drop in it will want the center x member removed or at least have its center section removed...

6. samurai mike

samurai mike

maybe a trans from a ranger with a 2.3

7. Years ago it was common place to use the 2.0 Pinto in a model A. I used the 2.0 and we bolted it too a 32 trans with synconized gears in it. Took some doing but the car is still around.

Wurger likes this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The use of the forward shifter from that of a GM unit is not a straight forward swap. There is the hole speedometer gear location difference between Ford and Gm, and just using the entire GM gear box does no good if he is still wanting to use the Ford 2.3 Do I have a good answer, well not really but the Mustang T5 shifter IS more forward than the camaro one, but nothing like the s10. I have a T5 core that came from a mid 90's mustang 2.3 that needs rebuilt if your interested.

9. Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Wurger likes this.